Builds 1975 frame off. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gotta love that sound

oohh i do, just need to knock it down several dbs...many dbs actually.

yes it's a marks header....i thought i saw it written that they fit all intakes. i was all set to use a '69 F intake but the header did not clear it.

oohh i do, just need to knock it down several dbs...many dbs actually.

yes it's a marks header....i thought i saw it written that they fit all intakes. i was all set to use a '69 F intake but the header did not clear it.

How did it fit with the 2F intake?, How dod it clear the saginaw?, where did you buy the bracket for the pwr steering pump?

I think I saw some nice blue flames out of that exhaust--if you were tuning a P-38 that would be spot-on!--This truck has only half of that machines' cylinders- so it otta be perfect!

tidied up under the hood a bit. put a new brake master cylinder on it. still need to ordered a new header before putting the intake back on. also cleaned up the rear wiring. finished plumbing the rear brakes while i was back there too. probably work on getting fluid back in the brakes next time i get to the garage. also redid the parking brake. the rears, transfer and tranny need refilled as well.
i "get" to "enjoy" a little bit of winter this week, but i'm looking for warm weather at this point. once i get all paper work taken care of, and can get it on the road and out of the shop i can get to work on a motor for it as well as maybe a hardtop.
once it gets parked again for next winter i can swap the 2fs around.

I hope one day mine looks half as nice as yours.:)

One thing I noticed is that is appears that you've used electrical tape for wrapping up the wiring harness. I've not had good luck with electrical tape under the hood, and have found that the glue softens and it makes a big mess. When I rewired with the 350 swap I used some as seen TV product "Magic Wrap" which worked well. It was a rubber tape which adheres to itself permanently. 18 years later it's standing up well and looks like the stock wrap. I've also found 3M Tape at the electrical wholesalers which appears to be a better version of the same stuff. I've not used it yet, but I'd put more trust in 3M than the other stuff I used. I believe the 3M stuff was called "Splicing Tape" and it's used to insulate high voltage junctions of large guage wire where Split bolts are used (rather than marrets). :cheers:

How did it fit with the 2F intake?, How dod it clear the saginaw?, where did you buy the bracket for the pwr steering pump?

plenty of room with the intake and steering. the bracket was 20 years ago.

I think I saw some nice blue flames out of that exhaust--if you were tuning a P-38 that would be spot-on!--This truck has only half of that machines' cylinders- so it otta be perfect!

it actually only has one quarter of the cylinders as a p-38:flipoff2:

Last edited:
drove it around the garage:hillbilly:....need to find a 5th wheel.
also figured out that the weber adapter to run an oem air cleaner...that didn't play out on the 60 series, works just fine on this....so it is now sporting an oem air cleaner.
mar14.jpg

You are exactly correct on the 3M splicing tape-It is a superior splicing tape and will elongate greater than 50% when stretched -. Great stuff!--no gummy mess. It's used in commercial Utility generators to wrap high voltage connections---up to 240KV and upwards of 9000 amps.
I hope one day mine looks half as nice as yours.:)

One thing I noticed is that is appears that you've used electrical tape for wrapping up the wiring harness. I've not had good luck with electrical tape under the hood, and have found that the glue softens and it makes a big mess. When I rewired with the 350 swap I used some as seen TV product "Magic Wrap" which worked well. It was a rubber tape which adheres to itself permanently. 18 years later it's standing up well and looks like the stock wrap. I've also found 3M Tape at the electrical wholesalers which appears to be a better version of the same stuff. I've not used it yet, but I'd put more trust in 3M than the other stuff I used. I believe the 3M stuff was called "Splicing Tape" and it's used to insulate high voltage junctions of large guage wire where Split bolts are used (rather than marrets). :cheers:

P-38s ran Allison V-12s----I think I have the maint manual somewhere here from my Dad-His plane was #90(named "Stinky") Aluetian Islands--1943
it actually only has one quarter of the cylinders as a p-38:flipoff2:

Last edited:
P-38s ran Allison V-12s----I think I have the maint manual somewhere here from my Dad-His plane was #90(named "Stinky") Aluetian Islands--1943

my grandfather's brother was in either the f-4 or f-5 version over Italy.

the tape is a 3m product, that we use to mend nicks and scrapes in our welding leads.
the under hood is about where it's going to be, other than maybe a fresh coat of black on the air cleaner housing and a new sticker for it.
mar14B.jpg

I think that theater earned the name "Forked Tailed Devil"
Wonder what a 40 would look like with one of those beasts installed----
my grandfather's brother was in either the f-4 or f-5 version over Italy.

just sitting around waiting for the insurance card to show up. then it's off to the dmv office in the big city for registration, not sure if it's getting antique or just classic registration, but i'am putting vintage registration on it.

fit and welded the exhaust this afternoon. ended up going with stainless, knowing full well the front section will not last long. i could'nt find a local exhaust shop that didn't want to rob me blind while pissing down my back. so at best this will buy me some seat time till i do something different with it. but it does sound pretty sweet, quiet at idle and throaty when asked.
apr14.jpg
apr14B.jpg
apr14.jpg apr14B.jpg

[youtube]

Last edited:
Is there a little bit of a valve tick in there or is just my imagination? Which reminds me... once I get mine put back together, I should adjust the valves. I have done it in a long while.

Sounds great.

that's it. finished, done, completed. as soon as it's registered and a day of dash and dial or test and tune it'll be ready for the summer sun.
ready to cruise again. apr14C.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome, looks perfect!

Sounds like you're using the same or a very similar 3M product, it's far superior to using electrical tape. I've used the roll I've got now, and would highly recommend it over any other tape I've used.

I Just notice the FF rear axle and a couple other things that make our trucks look like twins (including a lot of the rust repairs)... we could confuse a lot of people about what was stock, since so many of our 40s have been modified in the same way. Looking at your truck has helped me to decide to go back to a white bezel, at the time I thought black would look better with the tan but it just disappears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom