Builds 1975 frame off. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice video,... You went thru a red light lol

Love the area your in... Looks to be a lot of old homes ... I'm into those as well :)

old towns that date back to the early 1700s.

the struts i have are mechanically sound, just a little rough cosmetically.

every few years a story pops up about someone renovating one of these old homes and finding a 225 year old rifle hidden in a wall or the floor. this area had a rich history in regards to "pennsylvania" rifles.

getting winter projects lined up for it.
i tracked down a driver side mount, plate style spare tire carrier. not sure what's going to happen there yet, either modify the bumper or start from scratch and sell this one.
finish painting the top.
recently scored some oem buckets, they need work but should turn out nice. so the pro cars and their mounts are going to be coming out and likely offered for sale.
currently lining parts up to get rid of the saginaw ps and go back to arm strong steering.
i have it's original tranny and transfer, but they should both be gone through first and i'm not sure i'll be that ambitious this winter.

started redoing some oem seats.

seat15.jpg

seat15C.jpg

seat15E.jpg

seat15B.jpg

seat15F.jpg

manual steering parts in order. going to have to reattach the steering gear pedestal and rework the front cross member from the sag box install.....20 odd years ago. i was looking at the cross member this morning and noticed a few cracks in it.
started on the drivers side plate style spare tire carrier.

the real bitch of this, i have the original frame for the 75, and it's super clean. but at the time i wanted or at least didn't mind power steering....well now i'm kicking my self pretty hard for just not using it.
i'm actually considering taking the damn thing apart again just to put it back on that frame...i'm really hoping that urge goes away after i get the manual steering on it.
i would like to get a 60series frame in the shop and that can't happen till something happens with that other frame.

steering15.jpg

spare15.jpg

Last edited:
I started this thread during my lunch break at work and finished it over dinner. Mega. You poured some soul into her and it shows. I love the final product. That's heirloom level.

my grandfather and i spent many saturday mornings working on this back in the late 90s. it was nearly a complete cruiser when we bought it....less an engine and interior. we broke it down, cleaned up the frame and started on the tub...and then i bought the red 77 and then my 60 series. so we spent saturday mornings working on one of those. time moved on, he became less able to spend cold mornings in the garage under an old rusty truck. only an act of a vengeful god would have prevented me from getting this 75 back on the road. my grandfather inadvertently left a greasy thumb print on the inside of the glass on the instrument cluster, that i have zero intention of doing anything about, other than making sure nothing happens to it.

^ You truly can't put a price on memories like that. Excellent read.

My background is more of the 2 wheeled variety, but it's a similar story. I can recall to this day the feel, smell, and excitement of my Dad sitting me atop his 1971 Honda SL 350 K1 when I was 8. Sometimes I think the bug is hereditary and inevitably you find yourself on the same path as generations before you. Anyway, we brought the old girl into his wood-stove heated basement and spent many a night turning spanners and exchanging stories. It's humbling to see the parallels in his motorcycling adventures compared to mine.

Anyway, it would be cool to get that thumb print in the perfect light and catch it with a camera. That's a photo I'd hang on the wall.

^ You truly can't put a price on memories like that. Excellent read.

My background is more of the 2 wheeled variety, but it's a similar story. I can recall to this day the feel, smell, and excitement of my Dad sitting me atop his 1971 Honda SL 350 K1 when I was 8. Sometimes I think the bug is hereditary and inevitably you find yourself on the same path as generations before you. Anyway, we brought the old girl into his wood-stove heated basement and spent many a night turning spanners and exchanging stories. It's humbling to see the parallels in his motorcycling adventures compared to mine.

Anyway, it would be cool to get that thumb print in the perfect light and catch it with a camera. That's a photo I'd hang on the wall.
Me too!

Turned it around Brian, nice work!

I'm still wondering if sggoat accepts that your truck has only 1/4 the number of cylinders that a P38 had, not half?

indoors for a little while. not sure if winter is actually going to show here or not. but figured i might as well get started on my list before spring shows up.
so it's off to the races on the manual steering conversion.
the PO of this frame did the sag conversion back in the mid 90's. at this point everything was tired. the box is sloppy and leaky. the u joints on the steering shaft had seen their day, and i was tired of power steering.
so off it comes.
had to source, then remount a steering box pedestal. still have to rebuild the front cross member, then remove the power steering mounting plate, in order to get the center arm back in place.

jan16.jpg

jan16b.jpg

jan16c.jpg

got all the old saginaw stuff off. the mounting plate for the box was interesting, but luckily not everyone with a welder is a welder and not everything welded is permanently attached.
just need to do a little reconstructive surgery on the front cross member to get the center arm back on.

jan16e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom