Builds 1975 FJ45-Running Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been on here a while posting with my FJ45V so I would thought I would start a thread on my other 45. A 1975 FJ45 flat deck with a 2f, I spent 2 weeks last month cutting the rust out of her and getting her road legal again. Almost got there so I thought I should throw up the pictures

Before starting, mostly there, running fine just a bit of cancer....

01-DSC00294.jpg

03-DSC00296.jpg

Rust in the floors pans

3-DSC00333.jpg
5-DSC00335.jpg

Not the original engine, i think?

08-DSC00301.jpg

Last edited:
Patched and primed the holesthe holes

IMG_2627.JPG

New steel in the back panel, not factory but better than the rust that was there

IMG_2653.JPG

New floor ventilation :)

IMG_2626.JPG

Back corners fixed

IMG_2656.JPG

All the holes in the floor TIG welded up, primed and painted

IMG_2643.JPG

very nice.

did you cut any large sections of your floor out? im about to start on my new 45 and i have quite a large amount of rust in the floor under where the mats would be. thankfully my corners are in great condition

My drivers door was bent, cracked and hammered so it was easier to find another one,

IMG_2640.JPG

Parts truck of the guy I bought the truck off, 5 mins from home, new door, heater, switches and lots of other bits and bobs. For a day's work splitting logs :)

IMG_2629.JPG

OP's truck, sister of mine. Both 1975, I want mine to look like this one day when fully restored. This one has a lengthened chases, hydraulic tipper deck and is used to move firewood for his business. I told him the bezel is upside down

IMG_2632.JPG

Outside of the back corners

IMG_2655.JPG

Some assembly required

IMG_2654.JPG

At the end of the two weeks all the rust was gone, failed a wof on tie rod ends and play in the stearing relay which I did not have time to fix before driving back down to Uni

IMG_2657.JPG

The FJ45 sitting with the PZJ70, still missing a few bits, badges, hooks..... on the PO's other truck. need to track them down. Had to get a new windscreen fitted to as the old one as cracked.

IMG_2658.JPG

Its hibernating place, nice and dry in a family friends old apple packhouse. Got most of the work done I wanted to, but still got more to go. i did lots more than is pictured, I just forgot to take pictures.....This truck is located at home in Hawkes Bay, North Island NZ. I am currently down in Canterbury at University, South Island (8 hour drive+ferry), which is annoying not being able to work on it. Looking forward to driving it again when I am next home.

IMG_2663.JPG

very nice.

did you cut any large sections of your floor out? im about to start on my new 45 and i have quite a large amount of rust in the floor under where the mats would be. thankfully my corners are in great condition

Just had to cut out where the drivers floor was, and then TIG welded some new 1.2mm plate in place. There were a few other small holes, but treated the rust and then filled with the TIG and filler rod and ground back. My floors rusted because of mats and it was missing the bonnet vent drain pipes.....

Great to see yet another kiwi 40-series enthusiast out of closet!

I think I'd get rid of our natural gas fire and reinstall my old wood burner if I could get someone to deliver wood to me in a 40-series!

:beer:

I never get tired of looking at 45s!!! I've never seen one in the flesh!! Nice work and great colour!! Thanks for sharing.
:cool:

Tom, are you saying that @Taha32 just came out of the closet?:hillbilly:

Just an expression Mike.... (No doubt it has the same connotation here as in the US for "traditional usage" ... but I'm not using it like that. :D)

:hmm:Maybe its inappropriate .... But then I'm probably getting more and more "inappropriate" as I get older.

Certainly I mean no offense by it..

It's just that I feel there must be many more 40-series enthusiasts here because these vehicles are still obtainable here and at reasonable cost. But yet there's so few kiwis active on ih8mud (where all the best help is to be had) that I feel sure the majority must be in hiding..(and where better to hide than "in the closet" Ha ha.)

It's just that I feel there must be many more 40-series enthusiasts here because these vehicles are still obtainable here and at reasonable cost. But yet there's so few kiwis active on ih8mud (where all the best help is to be had) that I feel sure the majority must be in hiding..(and where better to hide than "in the closet" Ha ha.)

i know what you mean Tom. Here in Zim i see a few 45's and the odd 40 still running around, most of them in great condition driven by the original owners or their sons. yet i dont know of another Zimbabwean active on these forums. hope im wrong :)

Just an expression Mike.... (No doubt it has the same connotation here as in the US for "traditional usage" ... but I'm not using it like that. :D)

:hmm:Maybe its inappropriate .... But then I'm probably getting more and more "inappropriate" as I get older.

Certainly I mean no offense by it..

No worries Tom I know what you meant, just word play here, no harm no foul.:D :cheers:
I know I'm getting more and more "inappropriate" as I get older, pretty tired of the political correctness these days here in the US.

Right been winch shopping with a mate, picked up two 60 series winches as 45's are really hard to come by. Plus a pair of shafts and one split case Pto box plus levers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441784327.382804.jpg

My mates is a 83 bj45 so the Pto box is for him. I have some thinking to do and need advice. I need a early transfer case Pto box ( hens teeth) so can I adapt a later Pto onto the early model t-case which I can get my hands on easily. Or would it be possible to use a later transfer case on my early 4 speed and then again use a split case Pto?

Only been home a day and it's already on axel stands. New tie rod ends and a rebuild of the steering relay. Waiting mor a new steering damper and front break soft lines as both are due.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446597343.604001.jpg

Currently pulling out old PO wireing from under the dash, trying to find where things lead, most go to nothing.......

Sent from my iPhone

Finally got around to adapting the aftermarket PTO box I got my hands on. Got it fitted and tested.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451717907.686948.jpg

Going to refit the winch tomorrow after replacing the oil seal last week. I need to reinforce the mounting before I measure up for the shafts and cut the 60 series shafts I have up.

Sent from my iPhone

Nice work mate love the ute

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom