1975 BJ40. Slow refurb underway. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It´s all diesel over here. I must see 20 each day just driving about. Never seen an FJ.

Vae V, I will measure my nuts for you tomorrow heheh.

Chamba, yes Samurai is loadsa fun and very capable/aggressive offroad but feels like a F*@#ing deathtrap on the autopista. I´m always thinking something is about to fall off, like maybe a wheel.

Lost M, Vae V, NCW, pics is easy, I can take a few next time I at workshop.

While you are measuring your nuts, how bout a pic of the HJ45 as well. You make us yanks jealous. Any "xx45" is like hen's teeth over here.

"how bout a pic of the HJ45 as well. You make us yanks jealous"

The troopy or the pickup ? :lol:

The pickup has its own thread here https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/610865-1976-hj45-pickup-project.html

Progress is slow as I want to be thorough rather than rush to get it on the road. And the 40 is taking priority at the moment. There's a pic of the troopy on the thread also. Troopy will get its own thread eventually when I have time to start work on it and have decided what to do with it.

Land Cruisers, either 40 or 70 series were in the back of my mind for some time due to the need to have a couple of 4x4s at my disposal. These 3 just kind of cropped up last year at decent prices that couldn't really be turned down. At least one of them is going to have to go, but how do I decide??

Nice to see another BJ40. I have one ´75 too but it´s in much worse condition than yours. (Thanks to road salt and nordic climate)
Is your BJ build between 1/75-9/75? You seem to have those weird looking free wheeling hubs too so I´m pretty sure our Cruisers are about the same age.

Oh and don´t loose the BJ40. The 1974-75 BJ40´s are the most rarest... well a ´76 HJ45 is rare too..sooo .. keep the BOTH :D

Anyway I will be watchin this topic very closely!

Front hub. Doesn't seem to be unlockable. Looks same as on the pickup. Troopy front hubs can freewheel.

ForumRunner_20130528_195029.jpg
ForumRunner_20130528_195029.jpg

Workbench took 2 of us to carry the frame in and again 2 of us to carry the benchtop in. Must be 200KG total. Trying to get these 27mm check valve nuts off with the MC in the vise and a scaffolding bar on the biggest wrench I have resulted in moving the whole bench around for a bit before they finally gave in.

Workbench took 2 of us to carry the frame in and again 2 of us to carry the benchtop in. Must be 200KG total. Trying to get these 27mm check valve nuts off with the MC in the vise and a scaffolding bar on the biggest wrench I have resulted in moving the whole bench around for a bit before they finally gave in.

What the F is a kg? Where the heck are you? Why do you get all the neat toys?

Workbench? Photo please. Tease!

EDIT - clearly on the other side of the planet, as you must have gone to bed. I'll have to look at your profile since your location doesn't show on the iPad.

EDIT 2 - Looked. Wish I hadn't. Canary Islands, Spain. Great. Sounds like a real hellhole. .

Last edited:
No, you said it wrong - "Both you arsehole!"

Well if you´re going to be like that...

... I´ll go and get another one.

Am thinking about buying the clean BJ45 I saw going for a song but it´s a few hours flight away then a mission to get it back home to the island.

Put the MC back together with parts from the maintenance kit except the front piston which appeared to be very different from the original. Tested on bench before installing and glad I did. Rear didn´t drain or pump thru so took it apart again. The replacement rear piston is slightly longer than the orig so must be for an MC where the rear reservoir is slightly further away from the booster.

Cleaned up the old pistons and used them instead, they weren´t in such bad shape. So what I got out of the repair kit was
- copper washers for the check valve covers.
- check valves
- copper washer for piston retainer
- snap ring that holds the pistons in
- rubber seal that goes between MC and booster

But I think the main benefit of the exercise was it having its first thorough clean out for 38 years. The MC bore didn´t need honing but it had a flush thru with hot soapy water as it was full of crap. Also cleaned the push rod as that was covered in grime and not moving smoothly. MC is back on the car and connected up. Filled & bled the MC but didn´t have time to bleed the brakes. Maybe tomo, or next week, or the weekend.

Was hoping to have the brakes bled and working and wheels back on by now but have been held up by problems with other cars last couple of days.

... Filled & bled the MC but didn´t have time to bleed the brakes. Maybe tomo, or next week, or the weekend.

Was hoping to have the brakes bled and working and wheels back on by now but have been held up by problems with other cars last couple of days.

Yea, see too many old nasty trucks to break down and cause you trouble. Better ship a couple of those over here where folks can appreciate them.

Nice job on the refurb. I chose the reman route. I'm not screwing around with stop and go parts - all will be new, but the motor. Not as fun as rebuilding - I respect that.

Last edited:
The brake refurb is a bit of an experiment. I have had varying opinions on the state of the wheel cylinders. Some say scrap em and some say they are fine for reuse. So I am reusing them to get it back on the road and will revisit the decision when the body comes off for painting and everything is off the firewall & the brakes & suspension are more accessible.

VV, I followed your brake work with new lines and MC & booster but haven´t seen anything about the wheel cylinders. What´s your plan there? If they´re not good are you going to try to recover them or replace? I guess your looking at $500 for a full set. $600 with new shoes...

The brake refurb is a bit of an experiment. I have had varying opinions on the state of the wheel cylinders. Some say scrap em and some say they are fine for reuse. So I am reusing them to get it back on the road and will revisit the decision when the body comes off for painting and everything is off the firewall & the brakes & suspension are more accessible.

VV, I followed your brake work with new lines and MC & booster but haven´t seen anything about the wheel cylinders. What´s your plan there? If they´re not good are you going to try to recover them or replace? I guess your looking at $500 for a full set. $600 with new shoes...

Well it's on the list. Going to finish transmission, tcase, clutch, then tackle drums and discs. Make it go, make it stop. Going to do brake lines one at a time once I determine I have proper fittings, mounts and and t connectors. Need soft lines too. Partial to braided so will source some of those. Never done a drum but I guess they are like mini discs - just two cylinders per wheel instead of one caliper. Bob at TPI said leave the rear drums - they are good. We shall see.

I get bored with repetition so I like little mini projects to break the monotony. A brake line here and there will be fun. Then fuel lines, etc.

Vae Victus said:
What the F is a kg?.

7 years in Australia, 2 years in Panama and I still wonder that (c:. I just think of it as a French pound. Used in places where the populace can't be taught to divide by 16 but only by 10. :)

And I agree with VV-by every one you can then ship the ones you don't want to the US to pay for all the others.

Last edited:
You can think of a kg as the weight of a litre of water. I'm English so was brought up with English & metric and comfortable working with both. It's not so much the divisivility by 10 but the ease of not using tables when working with different units of measurement. There's a 1 to 1 relationship between units of volume and units of mass, or units of force and velocity, or temperature and energy etc etc.

7 years in Australia, 2 years in Panama and I still wonder that (c:. I just think of it as a French pound. Used in places where the populace can't be taught to divide by 16 but only by 10. :)

And I agree with VV-by every one you can then ship the ones you don't want to the US to pay for all the others.

Come on Josh, it only took us till 1988 to complete the migration, so really, the US is not that far behind us (and most of the rest of the world)!

dancar said:
Come on Josh, it only took us till 1988 to complete the migration, so really, the US is not that far behind us (and most of the rest of the world)!

Proudly holding on to our British heritage and not buying into the 'ease of measurement' rubbish. Give me a pint of beer, a quart of oil and a gallon of diesel and I'll take my 14 stone body and 5,000 lb Cruiser just about anywhere.

You Aussies can sit in the heat with your litre of French wine and talk ease of division until you can't stand up. God bless American stubbornness. :)

Dan and I have argued this over a few pints, er, sorry...750 ml glasses of beer before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom