1974 Rare Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the opportunity to buy a 74 FJ55 barn find. 40,000 miles. minimal rust.

He says it has a "Rare A/C, Rare roof rack and Rare winch."

How rare are these options?

It needs a new master cylinder and some brake work. it has new carb and clutch kit.

All the options are factory if I'm not mistaken. PTO winch.

image1.JPG

The PTO is worth good money if it works. Factory rack is a nice touch. The AC is rare (as stated above if is a factory version). How does the frame look? Looks like there might be light surface rust from the photo. If it doesn't look like swiss cheese and the price is right I say you have some good options that make it worth purchasing. What are your plans with it if you buy it, restore it, DD it?

Here is a good thread on the Factory AC for Iron Pigs: The Ultimate A/C Thread For Pigs! (Air Conditioning)

My plan is DD it. I don't have any more pics right now. He's wanting $3,500.

I haven't seen it up close and personal yet. Just cruising by.

I'm torn, because I have the option to buy this for the same money, 140,000 miles and factory locker.

20151114_140432_resized_11.jpg

just found some more pics of the 55...

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

You don't have to feel torn ;
The Fj55 is probably the last one you find in the coming 10 to 15 years with these options and that price,
The FJ80 you probably can find 25 more the next 10 to 15 years.

Hope it helps !

:cheers:

the real question is what is the FJ55 worth??

I'm torn, because I have the option to buy this for the same money, 140,000 miles and factory locker.

View attachment 1166274

By the wheels on this 80 in the US market it would be 91/92 which a locker would be nothing more than then locking the transfer case which evey 80 had. Front and rear diff lockers were only available 93-97 in the US. It would also have a 3FE and not the 1FZ which is a better engine. $3,500 would be a better deal on a FZJ80 then aFJ80.:meh:

By the wheels on this 80 in the US market it would be 91/92 which a locker would be nothing more than then locking the transfer case which evey 80 had. Front and rear diff lockers were only available 93-97 in the US. It would also have a 3FE and not the 1FZ which is a better engine. $3,500 would be a better deal on a FZJ80 then aFJ80.:meh:

Agreed. The 3fe 80-series for that price isn't too amazing. For comfort the 80 will win, but style (this is debatable since you either love or hate Iron Pigs) and character the 55 is a winner. Also at that price you could just wash it and flip it for a profit.

Stuff will continue to break on the 80 series, electrical stuff, door handles, etc. Anything that was gonna break on the 55 probably already has.

I dunno about being 50,000 miles, looks more like 150K, I don't remember if the '74 had a true Japanese built factory ac available. Before that they were all dealer installed aftermarket items.

Agreed. The 3fe 80-series for that price isn't too amazing. For comfort the 80 will win, but style (this is debatable since you either love or hate Iron Pigs) and character the 55 is a winner. Also at that price you could just wash it and flip it for a profit.

Wasn't comparing 80 to 55 as I wouldn't even look at a ad for a 91/92 FJ80. Even with low miles a FJ80 won't be as desirabe as a locked FZJ80 even with higher miles . If your looking to possibly sell it in the near future a 55 will have a better chance of showing a profit. The newer 80 series has a long time before it concidered a classic ad going up in value like a classic will.

Can somone tell me if that is factory A/C?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom