1974 FJ40 Basket Case Chevota Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally did something. I harvested the spring and shackle brackets from the FJ60. I plan on incorporating those pieces when I outboard/swap to FJ60 springs.

Man, it sucks to grind/chisel/drill out rivets on a lowered FJ60.

After a lot of sitting and waiting, I ordered parts to do the FJ60 spring swap/springover from Barnes 4wd. The parts look just like the ruff stuff pieces, but were a few bucks cheaper. I am not using the ruffstuff style perch that uses two bolts. I'm gonna do mine like this (FC187 style)....
1843113d1437102515-kaiyote-my-sons-first-rig-image.jpg

I'm wussing out...at least to start. I'm starting off staying spring under while doing the FJ60 axle and leaf spring swap. I am still gonna move the axle back like I had planned to do with the SOA. I just think the thing needs to have a lower center of gravity until my daughter gets plenty of seat time.

IMG_7990 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

Here it is with the wheel opening relocated with cardboard and tape.

IMG_7991 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

Wheels and tires came off of craigslist. FJ Cruiser 17's. I need to buy spacers because they rub on the passenger side drag link end.

20160514_132439 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

Did you know a set of 5 will fit in a Toyota Yaris?

20160514_074648 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

I'm not crazy about the end of the leaf spring hanging out the back. I guess it is a good excuse to build a substantial bumper back there...something along the lines of what they are sticking on the high dollar J**ps

20160515_163010 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

Anybody done a chevy ls motor swap on a stock-ish height fj40 using the chevy truck oil pan? Does everyting clear (I'm using fj60 4 speed and split case)?

Any rear sumpt oil pan is ok, only clearance issue is when the engine goes too far forward, puts the front harmonic balancer right over the front diff, right at the banjo housing. Plus prevents you from using a stock Chevy fuel pump (old school) for the same reason.

I bought a set of used TJ fender flares off of craigslist. I think I am going to mock them up on the quarter panel and see how much forward I need to bring the rear axle to be centered in the opening. Right now the fixed end hangers are just tacked on.

TJs, Heeps, and quarter cuts oh myyy...I will look the other way for you killing a 60 if you sell me the doors and hardtop sides off that 40!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom