1974 FJ40 Basket Case Chevota Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Typically in Chevota conversions the radiator is too far forward (too far in front of fan blade), so the radiator normally gets moved back a couple inches. That means that you could actually motor mount the 350 more forward than my installation instruction manual calls for, thus giving you some more rear drive shaft. Send snail mail address and I'll send you a freebie manual Flipper. Also, if you find that you don't have front Chevota mounts lemme know, I have a couple sets left at somewhat econo price.

If I remember correctly, I think I have AA motor mounts that came with the truck.

We started digging. It had been there a while.
20141220_105928.jpg
20141220_110051.jpg
20141220_122117.jpg
20141220_122401.jpg

The previous owner butchered one quarter and had the second one started. He also started air chiseling the mount for the dash pad on the drivers side. ...i'm not sure if I will try to fix that, or go ahead and shave it from the dash and go street rod on the dash. Hopefully the quarters will be easy to fix.

We started mocking things up to see what we are missing.

Right now it looks like I am missing a bunch of bolts...and a steering column. I need to search the barn for more FJ40 stuff.

Tomorrow it gets rolled outside to be washed off.

Right now, I don't like the looks of the lift springs and longer shackles. I want to go springover on the 60 springs and 60 axles (getting rid of the 5 lug Suzuki samurai wheels will make it look better too.)

Last edited:
One of mine had a hitch extended that far-I shortened it up but now can't make sharp left turns or my boat binds on the spare tire...

Sounds like easiest for you is the toyota trans and tcase. Go with easy since you have so much hard work ahead and you don't want to burn the girl out. As far as the 60 axles, I would keep it sprung under because the stiffer springs make it stable for the street. Take off the extended shackles and put stock ones on. Dave at 4plus has a way to widen the front axle more so you don't have to move the spring hangers if you want to go that route. As far as the springs you can always drill new center holes in them if you want to adjust the wheel base. I personally don't like the idea of a v8 in a cruiser as your first car. Too much power. My cruiser had a 2f when I got my license and it kept me outta trouble for the most part. Now Im glad I have the toy motor, I love that motor even though its slow, it reliable, unique, adds value, and its part of an experience you only get driving a cruiser. But I see your reasoning with wanting to go chevy too.

I'm liking the idea of the toyota trans more and more.

I plan on sticking a mild V8 in it. I have a low mileage late-60's 307 chevy laying around (came with another project). If I remember correctly, the PO of the FJ40 had a motorcraft 2 barrel in the parts stash that he had planned to run. I might try it. A quick refresh with a small modern cam, aluminum intake, HEI and we should be good to go motor wise. ....good running 250 hp V8? I also plan to run a small-ish single exhaust.

As far as burning her out, even with a spring over, this is still a minor build compared to an average street rod project for us. The truck in my icon is a 1941 Fargo (Canadian market Dodge). It sits on a 2001 Dakota chassis and has a chevy LS motor....all sorts of stuff that doesn't belong together. The springover FJ40 build is following a proven recipe ...the Toyota mini-truck.

The spring under lift springs just look really wrong to me aesthetically. With the parts I have on hand, I think I have two real options: soa on FJ60 springs (real off-road look) or sua on FJ60 springs (resto-look). ...it is just so unlike me to build a stocker.

Last edited:
Same as a 327 only slightly smaller bore. Smallish valves (non hardened seats)-small chambers-may not need intake. Had 307 heads on 350 in 40 with small cam and qjet 20 years ago-was a tractor.

The previous owner butchered one quarter and had the second one started. He also started air chiseling the mount for the dash pad on the drivers side. ...i'm not sure if I will try to fix that, or go ahead and shave it from the dash and go street rod on the dash. Hopefully the quarters will be easy to fix.

We started mocking things up to see what we are missing.

Right now it looks like I am missing a bunch of bolts...and a steering column. I need to search the barn for more FJ40 stuff.

Tomorrow it gets rolled outside to be washed off.

Right now, I don't like the looks of the lift springs and longer shackles. I want to go springover on the 60 springs and 60 axles (getting rid of the 5 lug Suzuki samurai wheels will make it look better too.)

Tilt steering column is nice.

Ok, no one else has said so I will. Flip your bezel, the build will go so much better, and only takes 3 minutes.

Long story
OK WTF with the bezel thing!! | IH8MUD Forum

Shortened version - original 1961 embossed bezel - enough said.
PxRnglrBezel.jpg

:cheers:

The fj60 is out of its hole too now. They were both washed in preparation of the upcoming teardowns.

....if only the previous owners weren't the previous owners.

This is a really solid truck. Only a couple of pin holes under the gas tank. Even the window seals are nice.

Dash bracket is ugly! Rear quarter hack is ugly. I guess I need that to not feel guilty about modifying it into a mild trail rig.
20141221_132945.jpg
20141221_132958.jpg
20141221_133013.jpg
20141221_133023.jpg

From one Chevota basket case owner to another, welcome!

That tub looks really clean. Congrats. I vote to put all of the 60 drivetrain into the 40. Or sell the 60 intact to fund the 40 project. I am currently undoing a PO ed basket case Chevota conversion.

http://realsteelcruiserparts.net has quarter panel patches. Also ruff stuff specialties has a spring over kit to put the 60 axles under the 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom