1972 FJ40, OEM Steering Wheel - Way too Big! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1972 FJ40, mainly stock, but the steering wheel is way too big. I'd like something that I can steer the vehicle well with, any recommendations?

Kevin

If you've got power steering, I personally like the looks of an non-airbag wheel from an 80 series...

Toyota designed the size of the steering wheel for a purpose, keep original. I agree with @JungleBiker ^^^

"I loves my steering! wheel"
th_Popeye.jpg

Anyone ever mount a fj60 wheel to a fj40? What's involved, including any special adapters etc. I'm looking to put a smaller wheel on my 79 fj40 and don't like the aftermarket looks.

Sent from my iPhone

FJ40 wheels suck, just feel out of place.

I have a 1972 FJ40, mainly stock, but the steering wheel is way too big. I'd like something that I can steer the vehicle well with, any recommendations?

Kevin

Here is a Toyota option, my leather JDM AE86 steering wheel.

img_1322-jpg.1007584

img_1326-jpg.1007585

But have since removed and reinstalled my "BIG OLE ORIGINAL".....

Yeah, that JDM wheel looks like it would be stock on late model 40's.

FJ40 wheels suck, just feel out of place.

Must be a age thing. Been driving FJ40s since 74 and big wheel doesn't bother me in the least

Yeah, that JDM wheel looks like it would be stock on late model 40's.

I started a collection of possible steering wheels I might use in my FJ45 when I update the steering column. Have FJ60 and FJ62 steering wheels and even a very nice leather FJ80 steering wheel. Once I got hold of a late 4X series steering wheel decided to use that as it is what is stock in the late model FJ40. While that JDM wheel looks nice it reminds more of a pre air bag 80 series steering wheel not one from a FJ40.:meh:

I love the big wheel too , was just digging. It just feels right to me.
I have an FJ60 wheel I don't need.

image.jpg
Here is a retro looking option I did in one of my 45's Grant wheel

I especially like when the wifey drives the 40 with the huge wheel. She looks like a little kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom