1970 Fj40 front axle hub nut size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I have 2 questions for everybody (yep I already searched): 1st what is the axel hub nut size for a 1970 FJ40. I have heard 50mm (which I assume is correct), 52mm and 54mm which is for '76 and newer but it seems to be the most wide spread.

2nd: where online is the best place to buy the socket 50mmx 2in deep well. and an old style 6 spline warn manual locking hub rebuild kit, or at least a seal kit.

Thanks

Not sure about 1970, but my 1975 Land Cruiser had a 54mm Hub Socket. I just rebuilt the axles so I can confirm that, at least the "76 and newer" portion of the statement is false.

Now, this is just a guess, but I'm pretty sure all course-spline Birfields (75 and older) were the same. So, chances are 54mm is what you're looking for. I know the early mid 60's 40's used ball-and-claw axles. I can't speak to the nut size on those, but my guess is your 70 is probably the same as my 75. I know my 75 is also the same as the later model, large-pattern birfields as well, so they may have been 54mm throughout the whole run.

Nut size change was 9/75 (or when they went to disks)

You need a 50mm socket

Not true - my 6/75 40 had drums and 54mm sockets... Maybe it was an oddball but I only have one enormous socket and its 54mm - used to remove the old drums and install the 60 series discs

That would be the clustertruck right? You sure something had not been swapped????

My Spanish market 1/75 BJ40 has 50mm hub nuts. I bought a standard 50mm socket for about $10 and had a friend cut it in half and weld a bit of pipe in to make it deep enough to fit.

That would be the clustertruck right? You sure something had not been swapped????

I was about to counter that with "But why would anyone do something so ridiculous?" And then I realized you had already answered that very question. I suppose with my disaster anything is possible. Nonetheless, when I converted over to disc brakes, I Know for a fact that I only used one giant socket. I bought it from Kurt, at Cruiser Outfitters, with a bunch of the other components I needed. The next biggest size socket I have is for the saginaw pitman arm nut and I know that's not 50mm or 2." Now I'm tempted to go out into my 15 degree garage and dig through my old coarse spline components to try and get to the bottom of this...:flipoff2:

Keep in mind, that a 54mm socket will work for the 50mm nuts, it's just really loose..

:)

So my thinking was correct on 50mm for a '70 with drums. Any Ideas for the second part of my question? Where can I pick up a gasket, rebuild, or seal kit for course spline early warn hubs? Almost positive they are the exact type used on my old '69 LR series 2a.

Sorry to have mislead you -

I picked up my rebuild kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters - he sells a full kit, including trunnion bearings, wheel bearings, and seals for the hubs, knuckles, etc. Also - The Marlin Eco Seal is an upgraded, heavy-duty inner axle seal produced by Marlin Crawler (but also sold by Kurt). They have a very good reputation for being less prone to failure than the stock Toyota inner axles seals.

Iron Pig Offroad probably had rebuild kits too, and I believe they're in Virgina, might not hurt to look them up - probably save on shipping.

kurt's a really good dude.

1/2" screwdriver works like a charm and its a universal fit. It is only for a nut that should be Just a tad past finger tight to begin with.

1/2" screwdriver works like a charm and its a universal fit. It is only for a nut that should be Just a tad past finger tight to begin with.

Please do not do this, it mangles the nut. I cannot tell you how many cruisers I have had a problem unscrewing the spindle nut because it has a tab of steel from someone using a screwdriver or cold chisel on it. Get the proper tool for the job. The outer nut is also significantly tighter than "finger tight"

Last edited:
I always torque down the inner nut to about 60 ft lbs while rotating the wheel back and forth to center or seat the bearings in their races, then loosen the nut to about finger tight. Install the claw washer then the outer lock nut and tightnen it down.

I always torque down the inner nut to about 60 ft lbs while rotating the wheel back and forth to center or seat the bearings in their races, then loosen the nut to about finger tight. Install the claw washer then the outer lock nut and tightnen it down.

That's what I did too

My Mar 1972 had a 50mm nut. My May 1975 had a 50mm nut. Used the 54mm socket from Kurt, (for mini-disk brake conversion) lined with ducttape (admittedly ghetto) to torque to 60 lbft as suggested above. Worked fine. Screw the screwdriver!

So my thinking was correct on 50mm for a '70 with drums. Any Ideas for the second part of my question? Where can I pick up a gasket, rebuild, or seal kit for course spline early warn hubs? Almost positive they are the exact type used on my old '69 LR series 2a.
It is some five years ago now that I was having some work done on my '70. I ordered the 50mm nuts and the mechanic told me they wouldn't fit, but I can't remember whether too large or small. I did check them yesterday and they are indeed 49.7mm across the flats so I think they will continue to collect dust while I work on the '79. I'll check them and take pictures for Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters as he can help provide the correct parts for my Japanese version of a International Pickup Truck. You know, the ones that require knowing the date of manufacture and the shift it was built on.

It is some five years ago now that I was having some work done on my '70. I ordered the 50mm nuts and the mechanic told me they wouldn't fit, but I can't remember whether too large or small. I did check them yesterday and they are indeed 49.7mm across the flats so I think they will continue to collect dust while I work on the '79. I'll check them and take pictures for Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters as he can help provide the correct parts for my Japanese version of a International Pickup Truck. You know, the ones that require knowing the date of manufacture and the shift it was built on.
Kurt, I'm flying up tomorrow morning! May not come home until Monday or Tuesday, but The Beast is coming home!

1979 FJ40 Bodywork & Paint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom