1969 frame off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
my second project "rolled" into the shop this afternoon.
this is my first cruiser, the one that started me on this sick and twisted path. my grandfather and i picked this one up some time back in the mid '90s. learned a few lessons on it. it turned out to be a bigger project than we thought or had resources for at the time. so it kept getting shuffled back in the order as other parts trucks kept showing up.
well it is finally in the shop albeit not much is going to happen till the 1977 is finished.
the first steps are going to finish stripping the tub. i found a local guy over the weekend that does automotive media blasting, who is both (very)local and reasonably priced. so some time in the next two or three months the tub is getting blasted to bare metal. at that point most work will stop on it.
plans at this point are a faux restore. all toyota, but with a 2f/4spd. i want to stay with non-power assisted front drums. generally keep it simple and basic but completely refreshed, and that is the ambitious part, this tub is rustE! the frame however is one my grandfather and i did many years ago, clean inside and out, 99% rust free.
if feels good getting this tub to a place where something can actually happen with it, all these years it was just moved from one place to another with nothing ever happening to it...that has all changed.:cheers:
may12B.jpg
69oct12.jpg
69oct12b.jpg

Last edited:
20 years is a long time to keep on the back burner... Most people when it's a bigger project than they thought would sell off and have the next guy picking up the pieces :)

69 is a great year IMO as well as a lot of other cars for that era

Look forward to seeing it come together... Hope it's shorter than 20 years

something in the neighborhood of $600.

That's a good deal. That's about the cheapest I've been able to find around here. I can get the fenders/aprons and bib included. The hardtop, rear gate, hatch and rims are another $300. Frame is $150. I have a decent blaster at my dad's shop but I hate sandblasting. I will do small parts which take about a minute to get white clean. Anything large I farm out.

there is something about it:confused: i can't let it go. i've tried a few times, the most recent a few weeks ago. i can't do it. so i quit trying and decided to just deal with it:D it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy. i like the color, i have all the major pieces...or most of what's left of them.
the frame was toast, so it's gone. the motor was toast, so it's gone. had little interest and no room for the 3sp/transfer so they are gone. but this tub and it's tin are here to stay.

this had become a "catch all" during the 75 project, filled with all kinds of stuff and junk. so this afternoon i cleaned it back out and took a look around around it, the situation hasn't improved since i last looked it over. the hardtop is pretty much shot, and tub is still in rough shape. so i'm going to pull the blue top off it and probably scrap the larger pieces. then it's time to start gathering new replacement sheet metal.

14oct69.jpg

Got the top off it, not much usable there. I'm going to be able to keep the firewall, the hump and maybe a little of the front floor. Everything else is going to have to be replaced.

20141109_104052.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom