1968 FJ40 map litght? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tanker120

SILVER Star
Threads
I found and restored this light in a box of parts that my FJ40 came with, .it looks to me to be a map light and this is the only place I could see it fit, is this for a FJ40, is this the right spot on a 68 tub?
20110915_190.JPG

Light 1.JPG.JPG
20110915_190.JPG
Light 1.JPG.JPG

I have a 12/72 40 and my map light is located there. My switch to turn it on and off is located right below it. When I pull the switch on my dome light also comes on. Don't know if that helps but mine is there as well.

My 72 had it in the same place, but my 63 it was located under the dash.
sully1000 (Medium).jpg
snotz32.jpg

Perfect, I don't have a hole below for a switch though, thanks

My 72 had it in the same place, but my 63 it was located under the dash.

I will look to see if I have a hole there too, thanks!

Sure wish I had one of those lights....I do not have any cargo area lighting at all....only the speedo lights.....is it possible to put an underdash light in an early cruiser if you bought the later model dash pad? Those underdash lights seem to be a little easier to find than the map light. Seriously, my 40 has nothing to light the inside of it.

Maybe I will use one of my extra pig lights....

Last edited:
My 72 FST has one on the right also. Pretty cool, I hadn't seen one before and now I see mine is the same as all yours, I almost thought it wasn't stock. :D

I have a 12/72 40 and my map light is located there. My switch to turn it on and off is located right below it. When I pull the switch on my dome light also comes on. Don't know if that helps but mine is there as well.

Does your early 73 have a tailgate or barn doors? 72-74 was different than other years. Some parts that would have been soft top only like 68-71 dash light were installed on all models. In 72 Toyota switched back to footman loops on the rear corners for the soft top and installed the footman loops on both hard top and soft top models. Around 66 Toyota had switched from footman loops to twists in the corner but in 72 brought the footman loops back. By 75 the soft top models were very rare here in the US. The dome light mounting hole under the dash was standard on all models up there the 67. It mounted just to the right of the steering wheel. Don't know what Toyota did when they starting installing a factory heater. The bracket used to mount the heater controlls was in the same location as the dome light.:meh: Starting with the model the heater controls as well as the dome light moved to the face of the dash.

:cheers:

Living in the Past said:
Does your early 73 have a tailgate or barn doors? 72-74 was different than other years. Some parts that would have been soft top only like 68-71 dash light were installed on all models. In 72 Toyota switched back to footman loops on the rear corners for the soft top and installed the footman loops on both hard top and soft top models. Around 66 Toyota had switched from footman loops to twists in the corner but in 72 brought the footman loops back. By 75 the soft top models were very rare here in the US. The dome light mounting hole under the dash was standard on all models up there the 67. It mounted just to the right of the steering wheel. Don't know what Toyota did when they starting installing a factory heater. The bracket used to mount the heater controlls was in the same location as the dome light.:meh: Starting with the model the heater controls as well as the dome light moved to the face of the dash.

:cheers:

Yes I have the barn doors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom