1967 FJ40 Brake Master Cyl. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
I'm aware that in 1967 the FJ40 went to a dual master cylinder; however, off the top of your heads, is there a stock brake vacuum booster and one or two brake fluid reservoirs?

Can this master cylinder keep up with a front and rear disk brake conversion, or will it have to be replaced with a different master cylinder to get enough volume?

-H-

The vacuum booster was added 9/70 (71 model year). The dual MC was modified for the front discs in '75. &nbsp:Don't know how well it holds up for 4 wheel discs, but somebody here does.

i have had a couple of 1967 40's and none of them had dual resevoir mc's.. and none of them had boosters either..

if your going discs.. you need to get a booster mc setup from a mini truck.. 81 had 1 res i beleive. then you need to make a bracket to space the booster off the firewall so that it will clear the clutch MC... then legthen your push rod.... but that runs my mini disc front conversion with monte carlo rears.. i do have a proportioning valve going to the rears of course

I just looked it up in Toyota Trails Hx of the LC, and both the dual MC and Brake booster came in 7/70.

my 76 only has a single cylinder, and is disk front. is there a proportioning valve on the rear brakeline somewhere? where does my single line split into 2 for front and back? is there a problem with the disks if there is a residual valve on the master (keeping pressure on the lines to keep the drum shoes near the drum, but with disks won't this make them drag???) just asking because i may have dragging disks and that could expain it if the residual valve is on the single cylinder master.

p.s. first rain in months down here, and what did i forget how to do??? stop a landcruiser for not one, but 2 sets of lights. to be fair, there was stuff all traction, i mean the lightest touch of the brakes and it locked. and i can't lock my brakes in the dry...

'70 and later should be dual circuit. &nbsp:Do you have 2 lines coming out of the master? No prop valve to my knowledge, but there will be a check valve in the drum circuit.

For the early rigs, you can use Danny's firewall booster adapter, which converts to later style mount and clears the firewall stiffener.

my 76 only has a single cylinder, and is disk front.

In Oz you can get a single master cylinder up until Aug '76 but usually they have 4 wheel drum brakes. There is no proportioning valve. I wonder if yours had a disc front axle installed by a previous owner. I think the easiest solution for you is to get a tandem master cyl. from a disc front/drum rear cruiser from a wrecking yard along with all the brake lines.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom