1965 FJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up a top pretty cheap, so it will need some work, but I do have a roof now.
IMG_1305.jpg
IMG_1306.JPG

Hi, I just bought a 1965 FJ-40 that had also been mis-identified as a 1966. After reading a load of these posts, I am wondering if I have gone nuts. It has been a dream of mine to restore an old vehicle for a long time and although I was looking at old british roadsters, this one jumped out at me and made me take it home. It rolls really well, but the engine hasn't been started for at least 3 years and when I went to turn the fan, it isn't completely frozen, but it doesn't turn. The body is typically rusted. the door wells, the floor panels, and I have found bondo that I didn't see when looking at the truck in the dark garage. I have my work cut out for me. It looks like the original color might have been an off-white and I have a corrugated top, but I am missing one side window in back. I have not found any mention as to what the T-66 disk refers to on the VIN plate. I thought it might have been a color code, but having seen many different colors with the same tag, i doubt it. If anyone can shed light on this, I would appreciate it. I am hoping to eventually do a body off restoration, but I want to do it in stages due to budgetary constraints. I am going to start with the brakes and work my way up, but I will take any advice you may have to give since you are already entrenched.

image.jpg

Not only is mine a 66/65, but our POs might have shared the same can of paint. Mine is a similar blue-gray over original white.

It is a definate possibility! I just registered to the site, so I cannot post a picture of mine yet, but mine has black primer paint over white.

I was lucky, mine came with all the small bits (emblems, holddowns, etc). My engine, i posted earlier that I couldn't turn it, but my neighbor, who is a lot bigger turned it easily (it was holding the compression), which is awesome! I am a girl, what can I say?

I was lucky, mine came with all the small bits (emblems, holddowns, etc). My engine, i posted earlier that I couldn't turn it, but my neighbor, who is a lot bigger turned it easily (it was holding the compression), which is awesome! I am a girl, what can I say?

Start a build thread dude, and welcome to 'Mud!

From my research, I've noted that interior colors are most often the same color as exterior, and http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/colorcodes.html has a pretty good list as well as a link to another good site for paint chip colors. coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/, https://www.sor.com/, man-a-fre.com/, www.cruiserparts.net/ are pretty good when it comes to parts, if you know of any different sites and you want to share, please do. I hope this helps!

Trying to start back up again. This will start to be a priority now that a got a kid that took my daily driver. So I ordered a bunch of parts and started taking stuff apart. Sent the gas tank to get cleaned out and painted. Top was taken off and bikini top on. Next will be all new breaks, fuel pump, carb rebuild, removing extra junk PO put on and start driving the thing.
IMG_1570.jpg

Got my gas tank back from acid washing, did not make first go around, pin holes all in the bottom. Got a welder looking at. Anybody else have this problem? Anybody use a later model tank and retrofit?
I paid a radiator shop to fix the same problem on mine. They did not give it but happily took my money. Then I tried that trunk sealer stuff that mostly worked but it still leaked in 2 or 3 spots. Finally I coated the crap out of it with polyurethane bed liner and it's great. Not an OEM look but durable and odorless. I thought I saw steel tanks for sale at cruisercorps. Had I gone that route originally, it would have cost me an extra $100 over all the crap I tried but would have been worth it.

That is one ugly 40..However, by the photos it looks only paint deep. I'm seeing only surface rust and no rust through? That dude appears to be a true diamond in the rough! A column shift is a good thing, more usable seat room. Bridgestone Desert Dogs??? I remember those from the 70's It's been a good while since they made those I'm thinking...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom