1965 FJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pretty much new to this forum and FJ's. I ran into a 1966 "titled" fj40. It has no top, but looking at the frame number (fj40-35792) it appear that it is a '65. No top, so no corrugated give away, but it does have the vented windshield. Very little information from the owner, he bought it and it sat. I plan on doing a frame off restoration. I would like it stock as a weekend / sometimes DD. I drive 15 miles to work.

Any advice on my intentions or lessons learned would be very helpful, as right now I am just gathering information and going to start getting parts. I would like to keep this stock as possible. The following is list of what it has and what I would like to do/keep:

- 3 speed on the column
- 1f engine / transmission / and transfer case rebuild with oil bath air filter
- powder coated frame
- does have the original front seats, but no jump seats
- new suspension (no desire to wheel/mud with 33" tires)
- complete restore on all paint and body
- wanting to keep drum brakes all the way around
- no desire to add power steering
- I will be adding a port and speakers for an Ipod connection (don't shoot yet, nothing will be permanent like cutting up the dash)

Basically like it rolled off the factory floor and just as reliable

One question were do I find a corrugated sides with top? or did some 65/66's come with flat sides? Pics to follow
IMG_1146.jpg
IMG_1242.jpg
IMG_1259.jpg
IMG_1273.jpg

If it were an FJ40LV it would be a hard top truck (V = van)

You have an FJ40L ... Oem soft top truck

Does it have a tailgate or swing out barn doors ? Pic of door hinges? Pic of back inside corner of tub to see if soft top brackets are there... Kinda looks like the soft door hinges ... But ... Pics are a bit far away

BTW welcome to mud :)

Howdy! The cup holder console and the diamond plate glove box door are not original, so you'll need to locate those also. Currently working on a 64 that will not be much of a resto, more of a fix up. I think all the heaters were aftermarket. Strange looking units, just pulled the one out of this 64. Good luck, John

Hi,

I live in the okc area and am just finishing up my 1966 fj40. I have lots of parts, if you need some, don't hesitate to ask. I bought a spare truck for the top and doors and now have doubles of quit a few parts. I have extra jump seats :) if you need any help just say the word.

Joe

Last edited:
Hi,

I live in the okc area and am just finishing up my 1966 fj40. I have lots of parts, if you need some, don't hesitate to ask. I bought a spare truck for the top and doors and now have doubles of quit a few parts. I have extra jump seats :) if you need any help just say the word.

Joe
Joe, I live down by Lawton. Currently I am just putting a parts list in order. The guys for cruiser corps have been very helpful with some of the questions. Eventually I will be sourcing a top, rear hatch door glass, one of the side windows, glove compartment door, etc. Thanks for the heads up, Boomer Sooner.

welcome to the Forum ... wow, great find ... like your plan for bringing it back to original ... its a survivor and in my opinion should be brought back to its original glory, including the white paint (by the looks of things) ... like the 3 speed on the column ... brings back memories ... nothing wrong with a soft top, especially if you can get an OEM replica top ... looking forward to following your progress ...

Does it have a tailgate or swing out barn doors ? Pic of door hinges? Pic of back inside corner of tub to see if soft top brackets are there... Kinda looks like the soft door hinges ... But ... Pics are a bit far away

Here some pics of the barn doors and tub area. The soaker hose is for a later edition. It is not stock.
IMG_1233.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg

One lesson I learned on something this old, replace all the brake lines. My front axle seal was bad, on these old ones it is brass and not easily replaceable, so I luckily found some 1977 fj40 axles with disc brakes. I had no problems with the drums, but discs clearly safer, brakes were working but when I went to pull the old axles I found out how brittle the brake lines were. Thank god I realized that and did not actually keep them. Also when I cut the u-bolts to pull the axles, the leaf springs fell apart, looked good on the edges, but major rust problems on the spring surfaces where chunks were flaking off probably 1/2 thickness or less in some areas. Another one of those thank god I found this moment. None of these serious safety issues were visible from looking at it.

I know the V would mean hard top but either some ports were not stamping the V or Toyota wasn't following this that early on the VIN plate. I did a little checking. I have a couple of black early VIN hard top cruisers. The one I can get to easily does not have the V. In fact the unpainted area for the model number doesn't have room. The L is all the way to the right of the box. My 62 production, 63 titled hard top only has the L no V. My original FJ40 a 68 hard top again is missing the V. I know my 10/75 production 76 has the V but it also has the other digits that showed what market it was for and which type of rear doors it had. When did Toyota start adding the market and rear door? Curious if that was when the V was stamped.

my 65 has the corrugated hardtop and the threaded holes in the tub for the top. no hoops on the tailgate for the FST to attach to and no V in the VIN

The PO did add some footman loops to the rear on the corner of the bed for a bikini top (my assumption) cause on the top windshield has the channel guide for it (hard to tell on the previous pic). I have this pic below of a restored '66(from the internet, not mine) that has the footman loops on the swing out doors and on the outside tub. Was this for the Factory soft top? My land cruiser does not have these, but they do have evenly spaced holes drilled through on the swing out doors, not sure what for???? The factory soft top is not an issue now as my plan is to put a later year straight sides and top.
toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-1966-4x4-frame-off-restoration-rare-classic-c.jpg

LITP ... thats right I remember now we had this discussion elsewere... we will need to look into this further: "When did Toyota start adding the market and rear door? Curious if that was when the V was stamped."

the footman loops on the rear corners were on the coners some years for hardtop and soft top trucks... but... yes they are for the OEM FST

the holes on your rear door may have been for holding something on the inside of the truck .... they are not in the right spots for even an aftermarket top

i'd like to see a picture of your door hinges that attach to the tub from the outside of the rig... it may be an illusion or lighting ...but... it looked like fst door hinges

i think the dates were late 65? 66-71 the tubs didnt have footman loops on the corners... but... they did on the doors.... went back to footman loops on the corners 72-74 regardless of hardtop or soft top

looking into the start date for the date of when they did away the footman loops on the corners... i know dusty's 66 rig didnt have them and his is a soft top rig... but his is much lower vin the that blue one just posted?? interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom