Nissan 1964 Nissan Patrol soft top frame off restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
1964 Nissan Patrol soft top frame off restoration

I know I know I could post this in the "Nissan" section but why do that when it will get 100 views a year!? I figure it will get more views here, if a mod wants to move this so be it....

*Edit 2-18-14* I no longer have a website where a large majority of the pictures were hosted. However, I do have over 200 detailed pictures on facebook of the restoration. The album is public so anyone can view them and I don't think you need a FB account.

Pictures start back up on page 9, sorry about the lost pictures. At the FB link you can view stuff from earlier in the restoration.

https://www.facebook.com/westmoreland.ian/media_set?set=a.2374659663846.64013.1771228273&type=3

I am copying & pasting most of this from other forums, so be aware some of these posts were made many months ago. I figure what the hell, you people love Toyota's, old 4wd Toyota's and as such should be able to respect a rare old piece of Japanese 4wd history not to mention a rare old 4wd Japanese truck from the 1960's that is being done up in the USA. This all begun in 2003 for me but it received a big jump ahead this last winter....

FYI, in case you didn't know, Nissan Patrols have been around since 1951 and are the main competitor to the Land Cruiser since the 1950's. They both spawn from that same early contract offered by the Japanese government for a military type Jeep. In other words both trucks were conceived to meet a demand and bid for contract. I do believe the Cruiser won that contract, the Patrol did not. Which caused Nissan to quickly work on exporting the vehicles. Argentina I do believe got the first Patrols exported from Japan in about 1953. Patrols got a strong foot hold in a number of countries early on, a few being Colombia, S.A., Iran, Saudi Arabia, Spain and many other countries. As a result you can find them to be very popular in these countries, still 50+years later. They were manufactured mostly in Japan but also in Iran and Spain. India used the 60-series Patrol as their military Jeep from the late 1960's until the 1990's and produced it in house. It is known as the Nissan Jonga. Just like Cruisers there have almost always been JDM spec Patrols, these are known as "Safari's".

I have had my hands on both trucks, of most vintages and I got to say they are so similar in so many ways it can confuse you! Being a fan of both I can say one truck is better than the other here or there but neither truck reigns supreme over the other as being better. Since early on (maybe 1970) I have felt the Cruisers were more defined in interior design and in other areas. Patrols have kind of always held a more utilitarian front, being slightly more rugged and basic when it comes to interior and even exterior designs. Nissan did throw a lot of effort at the mechanical side of things on Patrols and the trucks are well known world wide for being stout robust trucks that are built to last. Since the early years in the 50's Patrols and Cruisers have been in a head to head battle all the way. Cruisers were first to get a 4-speed, disc brakes and power steering. But Nissan beat Toyota to the punch with a live axle coil sprung model in 1988. Just like the 80-series it is radius arm front birfiled axle and a parallel 4-link rear both with panhards. Engines have always been around the same displacements, Toyota offering more options I would say. The introduction of the 5-speed came within years of each other. Toyota had a factory locker first but Nissan made the LSD very common around the same years. Back and forth the trucks have gone for over 60 years!

Here is an interesting bit of info and story, take it for what it is. This came from the man responsible for Nissan/Datsun's in the USA, he is known as Mr.K. A Patrol enthusiast was at a Datsun car show one day and Mr.K was there doing autographs and so forth. Mr.K brought the Roadster, Z-car and many others to the USA in the late 1950s and he was a big racing fan back in the 1960's & 70's. Any ways, the Patrol fan is in line for the autograph and when it is their turn asks Mr.K a question concerning a rumor circulating in Patrol circles for years. The rumor being that Toyota and Nissan struck a deal in N.America, the deal being that Toyota could have and focus on the 4wd and truck market while Nissan could have and focus on the sports car market. No time frame of these deal has ever been stated in the rumors. So the Patrol enthusiast asks Mr.K, "is it true, Toyota and Nissan struck a deal in N.America and this is why the Patrol was canceled in 1969?" Mr.K smiled and said, "why yes, I have always loved the sports cars more than the trucks.". End of story and he would say no more!

What is even a bit funny abut the whole Toyota/Nissan thing is the models and codes for them. Patrols have always been a "60" series in the model, first was the 4W60-4W69-series aka 1950's Patrols. In 1960 came the 60-series, later the G61, 160 and Y60 or Y61 and lastly the Y62. Any ways, the 60-series Patrol ran from 1960-1980. During that 20yr span of 60-series Patrols there were many models. A simple break down though goes like this:

-60-series = SWB 1960-1980 RHD Patrol
-L60 = LHD + SWB Patrol
-KL60 = hardtop LHD Patrol, "K" obviously for factory hardtop
-G60 = MWB RHD Patrol, the "G" denotes MWB
-G60H or LG60H = MWB heavy loading (1ton) Patrol

The Patrol came in three wheelbases. The only LWB's were pickups and anything LWB was built on the pickup chassis. MWB are the most common models, outside N. America. The factory wagon or WG60 is the most elusive or rarest model, it is the only model with a unique body. Other models only available for a few years or even less than a year are just as rare. Such as the long bed pickup only available in 79, or the deluxe hardtop also only available in 79, or the MWB pickup only found in 68-70. One model, the 4W66 only ran for 6 months in late 1959 and early 1960, it is known as one of if not the shortest run of any Nissan vehicle ever! It was a transition year Patrol and a fusion of the old and the new. Nissan did this a few times with the Patrol over the last 60+yrs.

The only LWB Patrols were built off the Ute's chassis with maybe a few rare exceptions. Ute's or pickups have a very strange model designation in terms of the order of things and there was also a model number for "cab & chassis" trucks. Yet, just like 40-series TLC's you could special order just about anything from the factory.

That is the basics of it but as you can imagine with a 20yr run of the model and many versions offered from FirePatrols to movie vans to wagons to pick ups the models numbers vary. All but the pickups (Utes) are pretty straight forward in model numbers. Wagons for example are WG60'd, vans are VG60', Fire trucks are FG60's, ect ect. In the USA all we got were SWB trucks that were L60's and KL60's. These all have the "light duty" rear axle which is a C216 model. Australia and many S. American countries got "H" Patrols or heavy duties which came with a 1-ton H260 rear axle. All front axles were a "birfield" type with early 68-pre axles being a "tracta" joint. All 60-series Patrols came with a "P" engine which is an inline -six rated at about 135hp and approx. 245ftlbs. Trans was always a 3-spd and t-case was always a "twin" stick. Any ways, I am probably boring you with the Patrol history but that is the basics.

Any ways, onward with the build and story!

I sold this truck to a guy at the end of 2011. He then contracted me to do a restoration on the truck. We may not be doing a full frame off resto, rather we are starting with the main components and a lot of the little stuff may be left for the owner to finish on his own.

This is a very rare truck. Nissan only sold 2616 Patrols in the USA from 1962 to 1969 and out of that only about 950 were soft tops, more history I know! Not many soft top Patrols have survived, due to the soft top they tend to die off much sooner than a hard top truck. This restoration is aiming to get the truck as close to stock as possible with very few mods.

*History insert!*

For only 2616 ever being sold here 45-50yrs ago there is still a lot of them kicking around. Mostly hardtops for the obvious reasons but soft tops do turn up once in a while. Search craigslist and there is almost always a Patrol for sale somewhere in the country. Not bad for old Japanese Iron! I have been playing with these trucks since the early 1990's and I must have seen at least 1,000 or more of them myself in pictures and at least a few hundred in person. So while they are rare, they just don't seem to have found their way to the crusher much all these years. A lot I have come across that were beat down people saved and didn't toss out because they knew it was different and I guess you could say valuable to somebody. Roy Rogers was a spokesman (sales/ad guy) for Datsun in the 1960's. He did a number of Patrol ads and was given several Patrols for the effort along with another Datsun or two. A Patrol competed in at least one Baja race in the 1960's. Since they came from Japan distribution was mostly the west, up to 1969 not many dealers further west than say Oklahoma or the Dakotas. One in New Jersey but that was about it out east. Any ways my point is I have found many Patrols not far from cities in the west where dealers were located. In Oregon, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Colorado and other sates. That is where the majority of Patrols I have found came from and I think I must have had 20+ of them in the last 20 or so odd years. I have also found many that lived out their lives in a small town in the middle of nowhere Wyoming or Idaho or Oregon or Montana or Colorado. Certain sates got more Patrols than others. Obviously California but also Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Texas, Arizona, Utah, Idaho and maybe New Mexico being states with the highest number of Patrols. There was also at least one Datsun dealer up in Alaska in the 1960's and a good handful of Patrols have turned up in Alaska. Patrols were also sold in Canada in the 1960's but I have never found info on number of trucks or if the 2616 includes Canada. There was obviously Datsun dealers in BC, Calgary and other cities in Canada. Patrols have turned up all across Canada but more are concentrated in certain areas. They still seem to be lingering in these areas, states and cities where they have always been, of course there are exceptions but this is what I have noticed as far as numbers of trucks go.

Just a little info on this truck, it is a 1964 L60 or soft top, SWB truck, N. American spec truck meaning heater and seat belts and water protect system on engine/drivetrain being standard equipment. It is one of 950 sold in N. America. :)

I bought it in 2003 in Silver City, New Mexico. It spent most if not all of it's life living on a ranch not far from the Mexico border. The truck was obviously used for ranch work but it appears to me it was also used for hunting. There was a number of holes drilled in the top of the dash where a 30-06 bullet fit perfectly, there was even a few 30-06 bullets still in the glove box when I got the truck. I brought the truck up here to Wyoming and not long after it had a restoration started on it. However, that restoration only got so far. Basically the truck was completely disassembled, the frame was worked on and the two largest body pieces were worked on. Besides this nothing more for the restoration has been performed. For about 8yrs I rounded up and saved all the best Patrol parts I came across. As a result there is a very large stash of very nice parts for the restoration, many are nearly impossible to find.

Here is what we have lined up so far for the restoration...

-Full body restoration, being subcontracted out and handled by a guy I know. The body is being completely restored to original condition. Final color will be a shade of green, a stock color. A new soft top canvas is being made that replicates the stock canvas but it will be tan rather then the stock OD green.

-Full engine rebuild, everything is going to be rebuilt and new. The radiator is also getting a complete rebuild. We will be going with an early original engine paint for this which is a shade of sea foam green. No real upgrades are being done to the engine.

-Full suspension rebuild and upgrade. Springs are being made by Alcan, lift will be about 2.5". The Patrol has some home made junk rear leaf hangers and springs. I will be cutting the leaf hangers off the truck and welding new ones on. Shocks are undetermined by we are leaning towards OME. Everything is going to be new int he suspension.

-Full frame restoration. The inside of the frame will be getting treated with Rust Bullet. The battery box which is under the drivers seat will be rebuilt with new steel. Once all frame work is done it will be getting a fresh coat of Dupont Imron chassis black. The truck will be getting brand new engine and transmission mounts that are NOS.

So far that is all that is for sure. Up in the air at this time is....

-tranny & t-case rebuilds
-axle rebuilds
-steering rebuilds
-interior restoration
-PTO winch rebuilds
-new wiring harness
-various little details (likely the customer will do these on his own).

Right now parts are being rounded up for the engine and suspension rebuilds. In about a week the body will be going to the shop to start the restoration on it, it is looking like the body will take a couple months to complete. I will be starting in on the suspension and frame in the next 30-days or so. As mentioned we are aiming for as close to stock as possible. So original 16" wheels will be used and there will be no mods beyond the small lift.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Again...copy & pasted with a few posts left out. The build began late last winter and early this spring.

Sending the body off the the body shop today for the restoration.

Got a bunch of Rust Bullet ordered, should be here by weeks end. Got some leaf spring hangers ordered from RuffStuff.

Still waiting on new leaf springs from Alcan.

Once Rust Bullet is here along with suspension parts I will tear into this project.

And it is about time I post some pictures!

This is what the 64 soft top looked like before I bought it in New Mexico....that is a home made hard top on it.

main.php

As it looks now, I spent about $5,000 getting the restoration started back in 2004.

main.php

In this picture you can kind of see the funky home made rear leaf spring hangers. This is what I need to fix.

main.php

A better shot of the funky rear leaf spring hangers

main.php

And some goodies for the build....just a sample!

mint, new and original Warn hubs, these were put on by dealers for the Patrol back in the 1960s.

main.php

and the uber rare soft top frame, this one is nearly perfect!

main.php

As soon as I get the stuff I need on order I will be installing the new suspension. I am also fabrication a new battery box. The inside of the frame will be coated with Rust Bullet and then the whole chassis will get sprayed again with Rust Bullet Blackshell. At that point the frame is done and restored. I would like to rebuild the axles but that is still up in the air, new owner has not made up his mind on that yet along with the trans + t-case being rebuilt. Motor heads to the machine shop around 1st of May.

cheers

Here are a few pictures of the Alcan leaf springs, these have a 2" lift in them.

main.php

The old spring in the picture is the stock rear leaf pack out of the 1977 Patrol Ute.

main.php

Both the Ute's old rear spring and the new Alcan are 48.5" eye to eye. I have not had a chance to compare to the stock front springs yet but am confident they also will match up very nicely.

Here you can see the funky home made rear leaf/shackle hangers and leaf springs currently on the 64. *EDIT* double post I know!

main.php

This hanger we were actually able to find the stock one. So NOS Nissan leaf hanger will be replacing this.

main.php

This is the stock shackle hanger (from a different truck), it measures 2.25" wide.

main.php

Rather then try to cut that one off and re-use it a new shackle hanger is being used. This sourced from RuffStuff,

wayback.jpg

Way Back Shackle Hanger - RuffStuff Specialties

And since we do not have a full set of stock shackles in good condition we will also be using RuffStuff "baby" shackles which match stock nearly perfect.

Baby Shackle - RuffStuff Specialties

Last bit, will be using new spring plates and u-bolts from RuffStuff.

U-Bolts & U-Bolt Plates - RuffStuff Specialties

cheers

Bumped into the body man in town today. He had most of the Patrol fresh from the sand blaster.....

main.php

main.php

Very typical on a Patrol, this is being cut out and new steel welded in.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Inside the dash...

main.php

doors,

before

main.php

and after

main.php

cheers

I visited the body man today.....

main.php

main.php

main.php

A rough spot in the rear floor....

main.php

main.php

This fender was smashed on the corner, you can still see the crease. My guy did a nice job pulling the dent.

main.php

Rot had rusted through on the fender's kick vent area. So it was cut out and new steel welded in.

main.php

It is not 100% done and there is still some work to do.

main.php

main.php

main.php

Doors have been repaired and are extremely clean and rust free. These come from a 1965 that lived it's life in Estes Park, Colorado.

main.php

main.php

main.php

Soft top parts and top of doors.

main.php

main.php

Inside the dash is nearly clean enough to eat off!

main.php

Last edited:
Just received some parts for the restoration from the (new) owner of the Patrol....and a few other bits too!

OEM front bumper, OEM soft top rear doors (crazy right!?), OEM front windshield glass gasket, Cowl/firewall to windshield OEM gasket and a few other sweet bits.

main.php

Some goodies from RuffStuff, not all for the 64 Patrol but you get the idea....

main.php

A Marks 4wd of Australia 5spd, you can see it is a 1992 MFG date on the casing. It is in good order, I bought it in 2007 while in Australia. It is not going in the 64 but purchased from me by the new owner with the "bulk" package buy that was the 64 Patrol. He has something like 4 other Patrols including one his father bought back in 1968! ;)

main.php

main.php

And come on folks....some of you must be stoked to see this in action! How many 1964 Nissan Patrol USA soft tops do see being restored and posted on the world wide web!? :ylsmoke:

BTW, On Sunday I visit the body man again....he has the Patrol assembled in a rough state to check for alignments and such before going full on with the body restoration. Sunday = picture time! :)

More pictures....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

This is the first time I have seen the truck assembled in nearly 10yrs!

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

The windshield frame is actually from a 63 Patrol from a guy I found in S. Oregon who found it buried under blackberry bushes on a farm for over 30yrs! :eek: It was a soft top Patrol and a very rare stock yellow color. Needless to say it was in mint condition and has been recycled into this 64 Patrol! All the original soft top canvas pins on the body also came from this truck...

The floor pans are brand new sourced from Colombia, S.A and are mated to the stock 64's seat frame. :D

New tires for the 64....

7.50x16 Michelin XZL's.

main.php

Perfect for this truck IMHO, super sweet and damn epic not to mention very expensive! With a 2" lift it is going to be sweet and just like back in the 60's!

:cool:

Decisions made by client....

Going forward with;

-Full trans & t-case rebuilds
-Full front and rear axle rebuilds
-steering box rebuild
-brake rebuild
-Full engine rebuild (already planned) but man we are going all out on it! Not only is my 10+yr parts stash going into the motor but so is the owners 20+yr parts stash!
-New rear floor made for the tub (bed). The stock 64 rear floor is just simply to beat up to be 100% straight. So body man is making a whole new rear floor to match the stock out of new steel.
-Full seat restoration to stock, minus horse hair stuffing!
-PTO box is to be fitted to transmission. TBD if stock (USA) PTO winch will be fitted, it is a Koenig installed by dealers in the USA for Patrols. I have a mint Koenig winch (plus shafts and mounting hardware) for it but one problem, a part of the mounting is broken off the winch casing. I have the broken piece but it is alloy so pursuing having it tig welded and then mounting up the winch. If all else fails owner has a good Koenig winch.
-Mint NOS front bumper will be fitted. Very good stock original rear bumperettes will be fitted. Stock side steps will be fitted as well as a stock rear step.
-Full re-chrome and zinc coat on everything inside and out! To stock of course.
-New body mounts all around
-Chassis getting full spray for a third time in black.
-Brand new NOS clutch going in.
-Full sand blast and paint on many small items from seat frames to pedal assembly to heater. All to stock colors.
-Two soft top canvas will be made to match stock. We have a stock canvas that is NOS to use as a pattern. This part of the restoration is a major PITA but I am going to make it happen!

What is left and undecided at this time is.....

-gauges and restoration to them
-fuel tank and fuel line resto
-dash knob resto
-winch cage - stock is super crappy dealer installed angle iron mess. New and much better is being discussed.
-wiring
-steering rebuild, ie tie rods & drag link
-a few other small details!

I am super excited and happy the new owner of the truck has decided to move forward with a full frame off restoration. He was undecided until recently on many things. Not only is this truck super rare, very cool and very worthy of a full frame off it should hold it's value for the life of the vehicle. So many NOS parts that can no longer be had and have been in "stash" for many many years are being tossed at this truck it boggles the mind.

A short list of NOS parts goes like this...

-NOS rear soft top doors - not the same as h/t doors and beyond uber rare in NOS form.
-brand new NOS water protect distributor - good luck find one of these! Very rare outside N. America.
-NOS clutch assembly
-NOS main drive gear for t-case + all NOS seals and bearing for the t-case. Direct from Japan nearly 10yrs ago.
-NOS front bumper - ya find one of these today!
-NOS 1st gear assembly for the transmission + various NOS parts for the trans. Direct from Japan nearly 10yrs ago.
-NOS and vintage optional WARN 1960's free wheeling hubs, sold by dealers and put on Patrols in the USA only. 40+yr old vintage WARN hubs in the box!
-NOS water pump & oil pump + NOS fuel pump
-NOS windshield gasket, dash top to windshield gasket and NOS door seals - purely unobtanium!
-NOS turn signal assembly
-NOS full gasket kit for the engine
-A ton of various small parts from NOS oil pressure sending unit to brake light switch to fuel gauge to engine and trans mounts. Basically a collection of NOS parts that spans much more than one decade and thousands upon thousands of dollars!!

To get some of the NOS parts going into this project required a number of letters written to Nissan Japan nearly 10yrs ago! Some were picked up from Nissan dealers as old stock while I traveled in Australia and Colombia in 2004 & 2007. Some came from Canadian dealers many years ago. Basically old crap left on the shelf and found by us!! You simply will never get your hands on many of these NOS parts! Guaranteed!! :grinpimp:

On top of all this going into the project are many unobtainium items in glass from such as front turn signals, rear tail lights, map light cover, perfect gauge cluster glass covers and so forth. We even have the early and correct and super hard to find rear reflectors. ALL of these items are super hard to find as you might imagine since they have not been made from glass since the 1960's and not been available in the USA since then as well. Around 1969 Nissan went to plastic for all these lens so they are incredibly hard to find in perfect condition.

The new owner also received a mint vintage owners manual for the truck along with a mint set of engine + truck/body manuals as well as a mint last version of the 60-series parts books, ie late 1980 LHD parts book from the Middle East. All these books are in perfect condition, are NOS Nissan and compliment the truck nicely, all but the parts book are specific to North America and in perfect condition.

I am sure some of you may be like...huh!? But I can assure you this restoration will unfold before your eyes here on the internet and it will give any Rover, TLC, Jeep, Bronco or other wise a HUGE run for the money! Hands down I doubt you will ever see something like this again.....not only the caliber of this restoration on a Patrol but highly unlikely on an early 1960's soft top Patrol that receives a full frame off restoration with no expense spared and a ton of NOS parts tossed at it! 1965 and earlier Patrols have a number of specific items or "options" to them that later Patrols didn't have. Such as; "real" split doors, one-piece 16" wheels and so forth. Which makes an early 1960's Patrol that much rarer on top of the already rare soft top. Soft top trucks also have a number of things that set them apart from hard tops and nearly 50yrs later have become extremely rare. Such as; the soft top canvas frame, the soft top windshield frame, soft top rear doors and door handle, ect ect. You get the idea! This is one of 950 Patrols sold in the USA nearly 50yrs ago! :D

That is about it for now. I will update this as things progress. I am basically "managing" the project as well as doing some of the work like axle rebuilds and suspesnion. For the most part though I am sourcing things out on this one and spending a lot of my time chasing down uber rare parts all over the world. Basically bringing all my collective knowledge and resources on the Patrol to the table and making this happen. The (new) owner of this truck is a huge Patrol enthusiast whoes father purchased a Patrol new back in 1968 and that truck is still in the family! Once finished this 1964 Patrol will spend the rest of it's life living at a cabin in the Canadian Rockies and only be used during summer months. Forgive any repeat posts....this was copied and pasted up to this point in the build, for the most part!

:)

Last edited:
Nice.

I pass a stored patrol every day on the way to work, and it is growing on me.

Maybe one day I'll stop and inquire about it.

New tires for the 64....

7.50x16 Michelin XZL's.

Perfect for this truck IMHO, super sweet and damn epic not to mention very expensive! With a 2" lift it is going to be sweet and just like back in the 60's!

Can i ask where you found the 7.50X16's?

Sweet build.

With so many build pics right out of the gates, I found myself hoping that the thread was started after it was completely done and that I was going to see finished/complete shots at the end of the thread...oh well. Sweet build!:cheers:

Very nice so far... I look forward to seeing more .

Xzl's are expensive however they will last a LONG time ... Love to find the elusive 8.25r16's that's a great size.

There is a place in Canada that sells used ones... Hit and miss what's instock... But... They usually have them afaik

Update time!!

Spent an afternoon in the body man's shop today. Rounded up most of the things to send off for re-chroming and zinc coating. Got all NINE stock 16" wheels rounded up and ready to de-mount, determine what are the five best and then it is sand blast time. We are going to use an FJ-40 Land Cruiser body mount kit and it looks like it will work nearly perfect. As you can see by the pictures, rear floor of the Patrol has been cut out and a new floor fabricated. Also as you can see it is yet to be installed but is looking very sweet to me. The stock fuel tank access door is yet to be cut but will be fitted to the new floor. This is what a nice sheet metal brake and the right dies can do for you! Wish I had his tools!!

Nearly ready to go on engine rebuild. Lacking only a starter, coil and Hitachi carb kit. I have everything else besides the core rebuild kit in OEM form!! It is really going to be stellar! I am talking OEM new water pump, new in the box water protect distributor, correct Hitachi carb with sight in bowl, OEM new glass fuel filter bowls, OEM head gasket, nearly a full OEM gasket kit, OEM rear main seal, OEM fuel pump and the list goes on and on! It is blowing my mind and if you know me that takes a lot with old Patrols!

Next on the list will be trans and t-case rebuilds. Parts are in route as I type for this. All except the synchro rings and hubs which truely are unobtainium!

In two weeks time I plan to have the chassis in my hands and be staring on fitting the new suspension, rebuilding axles, steering box rebuild and few other things. During this process I am also prepp'ing the chassis for it's final coat of black. As part of this I will be coating the inside of the frame with Rust Bullet.

We have spent most of this summer rounding up parts for rebuilds on most everything. Engine, trans, axles, brakes, body, ect ect. Soon not much won't be in hand for rebuilds on all the trucks main components.

Picture time. Nothing really new to see besides the rear floor but I think the truck is looking killer so I can help but post pictures of it! Lot's of love and attention to detail being put into the panels on the Patrol. Holes drilled in body welded up, imperfections pulled. The guy doing this is used to working on $50k+ muscle cars so he has a way of not letting little things slide. Any ways, enough blah'ing on....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Besides what is being cut out this is 48yr old steel here and I think it looks pretty damn good! BTW the floor pans are new and imported from Colombia, S.A. ;)

Cheers!

I saw a 69 on the frwy yesterday. I was gonna follow him and offer him some cash because I thought it was so damn cool looking. Never seen one before.

I saw a 69 on the frwy yesterday. I was gonna follow him and offer him some cash because I thought it was so damn cool looking. Never seen one before.

You would be surprised how many of that original 2616 are still out there on the roads!! It has been 40-50yrs since this truck was sold in the USA but people from my 20yrs experience didn't toss them out much. Even the most beat down trucks don't end up in the crusher much. They are simply to rare, unique and cool is my take on it. Plus there are hoarders out there!!

Since they are old and simple it is not hard to keep one on the road going for a long long time. Our aim with this restoration is not only as close to stock as possible but also to make sure this truck lives on for many years to come. Parts can still be had to keep these trucks going, in particular the engine but doing a full frame off resto is to 100% original is very difficult due to lack of parts. It is not like we can get on Specter-Offroad and start buying to our hearts content! With so many OEM and NOS parts being tossed at this resto I think it would be hard to do the same ever again, some of this stuff is just not available anywhere and hasn't been for well over 10yrs!

:cheers:

I visited the body guy today to get the 64's chassis back. The new rear floor is nearly 100% done and looks fantastic!

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

And the 64's chassis ready to get some love!

main.php

main.php

cheers