IH 1964 IH 1Ton (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not going to use this radiator, just wanted to see if I had room to put a u bolt around the steering box, and anchor it to the frame.

Got stuff mounted on the new inner fender, copied locations from the old one.

Im using a modified early D series boot, I had to come up through the floor because of how wide the five speed is.

Had to drill holes to mount these things.

Made threaded plates to go on the back side.

Clearanced the corner on the drivers side door. Got it back in, and opening and closing.

Had to make the link from the clutch pedal to the booster. Not many 67-68 pickups had power brakes, someone on Binderplanet gave me dimensions and a pattern.

There are no holes in the plate for the top two in the bracket, just wanted to see how it looks for now.

I've got a pin in both ends of the link I made. No pin in the rod coming out of the booster, but it does line up.

The pedal is already down some, its got another four inches to the floor.

The booster and clutch master are pretty close.

Still need to trim the fenders, not enough wheel travel like this.

Made a link .65" longer, the pedal height is good now.

Put a new rubber seal on the heater box.

This is a great thread Ed!! You've come a long ways with this build!!

Thanks, I thought you might appreciate a Binder.....

Doors are almost done, still need the felt track across the top, and weather stripping.

Today I drained the five speed, removed the drivers side PTO cover, and got out the detent spring I dropped in. When I put the cab back on I had to remove the shifter cover plate, it was too high otherwise. That's when I dropped it in, oops. I got the cover back on, will put in the oil tomorrow.

Put in the upper felts for the roll up windows, the clips are kinda tricky.

Clearanced the booster bracket enough to clear the steering column boot, found screws for it.

Removed the T in the brake lines, with the later type master cylinder it will need a proportioning valve. I got one last weekend.

Got pins and cotter pins for the booster linkage.

Im gonna use the proportioning valve from my parts truck, 72 IH pickup. I was gonna use the one from a 68 pickup, but it had five line connections. I would have had to plug one, or re plumb the front brakes. It also had only one of the rear lines 1/4", I would have had to adapt the other. This one is more straight forward. Also got the short lines with the bigger fittings for the master.

The plastic pin looks like it had been pinched off, does it need to be replaced?

Also put the oil back in the five speed....

Started it up today. A friend helped me go through the wiring, got all the lights working, got the ARB compressor and locker working, replaced a bad dimmer switch, replaced a bad oil pressure gage. Not supposed to have a radiator until Tuesday, so couldn't run it long.

Today I got a bad wire replaced, so I have power to the front locker and the compressor that feeds it. Put in the vent box that goes from the heater to the drivers side, and has connections for the defrosters. Got the defroster hoses in, and the glove box. Also connected the speedometer cable, and put the instrument cluster in place. Worked on bleeding the brakes, got the front done, not getting much fluid from the rear line. Will figure it out tomorrow.

I'm setting up a Scout II radiator to use while a new one is being made, the new one won't be ready before our Coyote Lake trip. This one will also be a backup, I like to have spares. It's 1-1/2" taller and 2" narrower, not sure the hood will close with it in there. I had a shop turn around the mounting angles, as you can see they're sticking out too far. I took it back today to have them repositioned.

It doesn't leave room for the fan.

Brakes are bled now.

What I got done today.

Tied up wires along frame under truck.
Tightened York belt.
Shortened the tensioner for the fan belt, it wasn't a problem before because the old inner fender had a corresponding dent.
Moved brake lines to clear steering shaft.
Connected hand throttle at the carburetor.
Moved air tank bleeder cable under wires.
Took passenger side headlight bucket back out and ran a tap in the mounting holes, it wasn't grounding before. Put it back on.
Called radiator shop, it won't be ready until Monday.
Pressure washed power steering pump, and front of engine.
Took reservoir off the power steering pump, it was damaged by the falling tree.
Put on a replacement reservoir with new o rings.
Installed pump and hoses with in line filter, tightened belt.
Bled hydraulic clutch.

Damage caused by the tree that fell on it last year (power steering pump reservoir).

View of the inside.

The cap was damaged too. I had to beat it back into shape, they're not available new.

Got the hood on, could use a little tweaking. Really good for the first attempt though.
Moved it under its own power for the first time in eleven months.
Worked on bleeding the power steering system.
Worked on a mount that will put the second alternator lower, so it will clear the hood. It rubbed before too.

I had the power steering pump valve in wrong, fixed it, and it works now. I drove it around the neighborhood yesterday, the speedometer was twitching from ten to twenty mph. Gonna try oiling the cable. It's a new cable, I havn't had a working speedometer for about ten years. The oil pressure gauge doesn't work. There was a puff of smoke from behind it too, I'll try and find another one. I tightened the heater hoses, and didn't hear the leak I was hearing the night before. I'm taking it to have the windshield and back glass put in this morning.

Glass is in, I had some death wobble going to and from the glass shop. So I lowered the front tire pressure from 40 to 30, drove about 4 miles and no death wobble. There was a "little" bit of shake one time, but not bad. With the speedometer reading 26mph, the GPS was reading 31.5 mph. Supposed to go into Coyote Lake (near Dusy) a week from today. I don't know if I'll feel comfortable taking it that soon. Still several things to finish, plus there are bugs to work out, things to adjust. The truck is already getting waves, thumbs up, and comments with how it looks now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom