16 Inch Rims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about putting some 16" Rims on my rig. This should make tire selection less of a chore. Has anyone found any 16" rims that had the proper backspace for the rig? I am just looking for some simple black ones nothing fancy.

Right now I am running BFG AT 33x9.5x15’s which are quite rare to find these days. And it is getting time to replace them

Thanks

Mark

I cannot imagine why is is so much easier to find a 33x9.50x16 over a 33 9.50x15..

I seem to remember that there is a stock LC rim, 16X7 available from the dealer. Maybe try CDan or Beano.

Example please?

Just go to any tire store and look! You'll find 3 AT type tires in 15" and about 10 in 16".

Not many(if any?) SUV/trucks coming with 15" rims anymore.

235/85/16 (super common) is close to 33x9.5, and 255/85/16 is just a bit bigger then 33x10.5. And these are load range "E" tires better for heavy loads.

So more like a 32" tire and something about the same as a 33x10.50x15 (and no new rims necessary)

Just go to any tire store and look! You'll find 3 AT type tires in 15" and about 10 in 16".

So all tire stores have 3 all terrain tires in 33x9.50x15" size and approximately 10 at style tires in 33x9.50x16" size?

Really?

Not many(if any?) SUV/trucks coming with 15" rims anymore.

Not many trucks come with 16" rims either. :meh:

Unfortunately, the 33x9.50x15" tire size is going away rapidly. The demand is not as significant as other sizes. I am not aware of any tire manu that is currently producing a 33x9.50xanything.. It sucks..

If the OP is happy reducing the tire size that he currently has then the 235x85's are a great option. I'd personaly do the 33x10.50x15's first tho.

Looks like online tires May still have some of the BFG 33x9.50's available tho
ALL TERRAIN T/A KO - OnlineTires.com

Last edited:
Last edited:
On my '76 FJ40 (front discs, rear drums), I'm running 16x7 steel rims with around 3.25 - 3.5" of BS. They were custom made, but from a size standpoint they fit very well and I don't rub (I run them with 255/85 tires). I assume (but don't know for sure) that this rim size would be similarly compatible with the FJ60. That said, I don't think it's a common size/BS setup.

Doesn't Summit offer simple black steel wheels that you can customize things like backspacing for?

On my '76 FJ40 (front discs, rear drums), I'm running 16x7 steel rims with around 3.25 - 3.5" of BS. They were custom made, but from a size standpoint they fit very well and I don't rub (I run them with 255/85 tires). I assume (but don't know for sure) that this rim size would be similarly compatible with the FJ60. That said, I don't think it's a common size/BS setup.

Doesn't Summit offer simple black steel wheels that you can customize things like backspacing for?

They would work just fine.

And I had forgotten about summit. I think you have to call them to get the custom backspacing.

I like this combo, I like this truck. Considering going this way when my current 33x10.5x15's wear out.

According to the thread minimal spacer needed......
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...yo-mt-255-85-16-a.html?highlight=tacoma+wheel

My rig is same color so it's a nice preview of what to expect. :grinpimp:

But be prepared to pay substantially more than $80/wheel. I priced these last spring at the local dealership and they were IIRC ca. $120/wheel, and that's with a discount.

To get back on topic tho..
Toyota did make a 16" stock wheel, but for the pocket book,
Pro Comp Wheels Part 52-6883R2.25 - 52 Rock Crawler Series - Gloss Black Powder Wheels by Pro Comp

Pro Comp Wheels Part 87-6883T - Series 87 Rock Crawler - Gloss Black Steel Wheel by Pro Comp

And SOR has the split rims too.. Course, they are designed for use with tubes IIRC.
Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Search On 080-09

I like the rock crawler wheels but which backspacing will clear the calipers? I have one version of the rockcrawler wheel (forgot the modle number) but anyway it has the OEM backsapcing (toyota) which I recall is 3.5, I had to special order them, only to find out they don't clear the caliper. Wheels work fine expect for one issue...they rub the caliper on the front axle. Will new wheels with different backspacing fix this or is it a issue with teh wheel design. I run 1.5 inch spacers which I would like to get rid of.

With steel wheels the caliper rub is usually caused by the "coining" or "dimpling" around each of the holes in the wheel's center. Depending on the shape of the center some very light clearancing of those edges produced by the coining will result in enough clearance to make the wheels viable.

More rarely the caliper rub is caused by a deep back-spacing and it is the rim part of the wheel that rubs. Specifically the drop-center of the rim will rub on the upper-outer corner of the caliper. Changing the back-spacing is the only cure for this.

The problem with the 255/85 strategy is that an A/T tread in that size is nearly as rare as the 33-9.50. If you want an M/T there are many choices, but I do not.

Having started out with 33-9.50's and now going with the 33-10.50's I much prefer the 10.50's. Part of that may be rim width as I had the 9.50's on 8's while I have 10.50's on both 7's (driven a lot) and 8's (driven very little, but I'm hoping to change that very soon).

I bought a set of Mickey Thompson Classic II rims from Summit - proper backspacing and everything. I went the downsize route and I am using 235/85/16. The rig looks great and the tires work well on the road.

Just another option...

JC

I'm running 285/75 - 16 on 16x8 Pro Comp steel wheels with 2.5" BS. I think they look great, and fit well with the 4" OME / MAF lift.

newtiresfront.jpg

newtiresside.jpg

But be prepared to pay substantially more than $80/wheel. I priced these last spring at the local dealership and they were IIRC ca. $120/wheel, and that's with a discount.

I will let the secret out...

$60 a wheel take off.....OEM new

Original Equipment 16 inch custom rims

tundra take off the same wheel as taco.

I have a set on my 62 with 255/85 - maxxis bighorns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom