15X8 Black Wagon Wheels Wanted - Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know where I can find 15X8 3.5 backspaced BLACK wagon wheels that would fit a 77 40? Based upon the research I've done, it looks like the only choice I have are the white ones that American Racing makes.:crybaby:

I really like the cut out and spokes of this wheel (I'm not a big fan of the rounded cut outs of some other similar wheels): American Racing 445883 - American Racing Wagon Wheels – SummitRacing.com

I am also open to suggestions on completely different black wheels that may go nicely on my truck. I will run 33X12.50 KM2s. They don't necessarily need to be steel but durable and relatively affordable is what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

call summit racing, you can order custom made steel rims with any backspacing you need, they come in white or bare metal. I did the bare metal and simply rattle canned mine black. They were super cheap too, like $25 a piece, but that was awhile back, no idea what they go for now.

Noah

While I don't need the backspacing, that is exactly the wheel that I'm looking for, just in black as well.

If you can source a second hand set, use black rattle can in engine enamel, it is high temp, chip resistant and fast drying.
This will save you a few dollars and is pretty fun to do if you have the space and time.
A bit of extra time lightly sanding the old white paint will give a better finish and help the paint stick. Give it a bead of silicon around the inner join to stop rust. A coat of black anti rust and then the engine enamel.

I have done this numerous times and it is easy to get a good finish.

It is advisable to get the tyres removed first for ease of handling.

Good Luck

call summit racing, you can order custom made steel rims with any backspacing you need, they come in white or bare metal. I did the bare metal and simply rattle canned mine black. They were super cheap too, like $25 a piece, but that was awhile back, no idea what they go for now.

Noah

Looks like they've at least doubled then. They're starting about $54 now.

Does anyone know where I can find 15X8 3.5 backspaced BLACK wagon wheels that would fit a 77 40? Based upon the research I've done, it looks like the only choice I have are the white ones that American Racing makes.:crybaby:

I really like the cut out and spokes of this wheel (I'm not a big fan of the rounded cut outs of some other similar wheels): American Racing 445883 - American Racing Wagon Wheels – SummitRacing.com

American Racing does a black version of that wheel, their AR-767 series: American Racing 7675883 - American Racing AR-767 Wheels – SummitRacing.com

I sprayed a set of cragar white spokes black with about a pint of Dupont centari enamel I found in the bottom of a cabinet in my garage. It was probably 10 year old paint but they came out great and have been on my 89 pickup for 5 years. Sadly the rest of the truck looks like hell but the wheels are nice and shiny.

Thanks to everyone for your responses! I am being a bit particular about the wheel and the American Racing wheel, nor the Cruiser Solution wheel is what I'm looking for. Summit also sells a very similar wheel called "Daytona." The look I am after is the wagon wheel with crisper cut-outs as opposed a more folded edge.

I spoke to a Rep at Summit today and he is contacting cragar and a few others that may be able to make a plain steel wheel. I would be happy to paint it myself if that will work. I will keep everyone posted with my solution.

Worst case, I will just paint the white ones from American Racing.

OK, Summit was able to help me out. I ordered a custom wheel - 15X8 6 on 5.5 - 3.5 backspace for $54.88 a piece. It will come in bare steel from the company and style below:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-70-5860SPEC/?image=large

The guy I ordered from is at extension 6126..He was very helpful if anyone else in interested in ordering a set.

They will drop ship from CA in 1-2weeks so I hope to have them by the 24th. I will let you know on quality of build and fit. Then, I will look into getting those bad boys powder coated if I can find a reasonable price.

I am very happy with the turnout of these wheels. I had them powder coated in matte black for $50 a wheel. Every other place I contacted was between $100-$125 so I lucked out! See pic below:
FJ40 030.jpg

I am very happy with the turnout of these wheels. I had them powder coated in matte black for $50 a wheel. Every other place I contacted was between $100-$125 so I lucked out! See pic below:

They look great! That's EXACTLY what I am looking for.

get some black on that brake drum !!

good looking wheel. that's what I got but I used a hammer-on black from home depot.

Last edited:
OK, Summit was able to help me out. I ordered a custom wheel - 15X8 6 on 5.5 - 3.5 backspace for $54.88 a piece. It will come in bare steel from the company and style below:
U.S. Wheel 70-5860SPEC - U.S. Wheel Custom Order Dropship Only Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The guy I ordered from is at extension 6126..He was very helpful if anyone else in interested in ordering a set.

They will drop ship from CA in 1-2weeks so I hope to have them by the 24th. I will let you know on quality of build and fit. Then, I will look into getting those bad boys powder coated if I can find a reasonable price.

Jussilver,
I just wanted to make sure, you bought the wagon wheels in white ( above link) from Summit and then had them powder coated black once you got them is that right? I love how they came out and am about to order two. Summit basically told me that the models that they sell in black are similar but have more "spokes" than what you have pictured which is what I have on my rig.
Thanks,
John

Is there a particular reason you are looking for 3.5" backspacing? I have 3.5" on my FJ40 and they rub the boot on my tierod ends up front. Just an FYI. I'm getting ready to order 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" spacers for mine.

Is there a particular reason you are looking for 3.5" backspacing? I have 3.5" on my FJ40 and they rub the boot on my tierod ends up front. Just an FYI. I'm getting ready to order 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" spacers for mine.

No, not ordering that backspacing in particular, just that model of wheel. What I'm trying to get clear on is the model number of the wheel as summit says that wheel only comes in white. In my region media blasting and powdercoating are not options. If I buy them white I'm going to have to pay a guy to hand sand them and then paint them black.:meh: So I just want to make sure on the model number first.
John

ton of options, got ine at summit for i think 70 or so a piece, very happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom