12ht turbo q's (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Dougal,

I *believe* the V8 has the CT20B

AFAIK the toyota branded turbos aren't used by anything now. All their other modern diesels use garrett variable vane turbos so I'd espect these to as well.

The V8 (twin or single turbo) doesnt use VNT. The 100 Series used as recently as late 2007 was a CT20B. I am not 100% on the single turbo V8, but was told it was similar to 100 series. Considering the outputs are near identical, I have no reason to doubt otherwise. No idea what the Twin turbo uses, except it is waste gated.

EDIT: Both the single and twin turbo V8 landcruiser diesels (1VD-FTV) use VNT turbos. in the case of the single, its a GT2560V. I haven't checked the twin.

Last edited:
The V8 (twin or single turbo) doesnt use VNT. The 100 Series used as recently as late 2007 was a CT20B. I am not 100% on the single turbo V8, but was told it was similar to 100 series. Considering the outputs are near identical, I have no reason to doubt otherwise. No idea what the Twin turbo uses, except it is wastegated.

The 200 series is definitely variable vane, I could see the turbos on one of them but couldn't see enough to positively identify them. The 2.2 4 cyl diesel which the V8 is made from (identical bore and stroke etc) uses a garrett GT1749V. This is the Avensis diesel.

You can't get the torque curve they're getting with fixed geometry turbochargers.

One of the turbo sellers on Ebay from japan was selling a toyota branded variable vane turbo with nothing to identify what it was off.
Turbomaster list a GT2359V turbo used on a toyota 292F, 4.2L diesel engine. But I've been unable to find out what that engine is. Dieselevante list it as a 3 litre 6. Does toyota have a V6 diesel? Did europe get a different turbocharger on their later 100 series?
There are a lot of holes in these listings and contradiction between lists.
TOYOTA turbochargers, TOYOTA turbo, TOYOTA turbocharger, TOYOTA diesel injection

If the rain holds off I might go visit the local toyota dealer, they have a VJ70 on the lot. The odds of the rain holding off aren't good.

*edit*
Take a look at this pdf:
http://content.toyota.co.nz/toyota/new_vehicles/general/brochures/commercial/LandCruiser70.pdf
In the engine description for the 4.5 V8 it mentions variable vane turbo.

Last edited:
Just reading this wicked post on 12ht &different turbos, etc i used to have one of those garret gt2560 vnt , i regretted selling it , but theres heaps of others out now , alot of othr manufacturers have thier own version as each has patents , holset , garret , mitsubishi , etc

Anyone running a compound set up ( 1 small & 1 bigger turbo ) on thier engine & whats the best way to get the least amount of lag or solid boost just above idle ?

Just reading this wicked post on 12ht &different turbos, etc i used to have one of those garret gt2560 vnt , i regretted selling it , but theres heaps of others out now , alot of othr manufacturers have thier own version as each has patents , holset , garret , mitsubishi , etc

Anyone running a compound set up ( 1 small & 1 bigger turbo ) on thier engine & whats the best way to get the least amount of lag or solid boost just above idle ?

12HT's std are very laggy in their delivery. I modify these to deliver substantially better bottom end response (14psi on the 12HT by 1600rpm with good exhaust cleanliness) and a lot more torque and power. PM me for details; there are heaps of users with them who have posted on Mud.

12HT's std are very laggy in their delivery. I modify these to deliver substantially better bottom end response (14psi on the 12HT by 1600rpm with good exhaust cleanliness) and a lot more torque and power. PM me for details; there are heaps of users with them who have posted on Mud.

Don't want to high jack this thread but I wanted ask Gbentink or another fellow forum member a question on the 12ht Turbo.

I have nearly completed a full rebuild of my 12ht, new pistons 20thou over size, rings, bearings, head, crank, balance etc. I am at the stage of rebuilding the turbo, the engine had done originally 280,000klm and the turbo has signs that it had been removed once before.

The 12ht is going in my current fibreglass sports tub FJ40 (gal chassis) currently has a 2H in it (not enough power) and will mainly be doing beach work, pulling a 470kg jet ski thru in some case very soft sand and other cases low tide, hard sand but speed restrictions of 80kph. A lot of stop/start at fishing spots. The vehicle does under 4500km per year and a lot 1200 to 1600 revs just cruising up the beach and low tide, 3rd,4th & 5th gear work.
What are my options:-

1. Buy a Kinugawa Cartridge Core and do it yourself and have the outside ceramic coated because this vehicle is permanently at the beach house for salt protection.

2. Buy a cheap eBay one on the theory that after 3 years it will be so badly corroded it will need to be replaced anyway.

3. I need a modified turbo because of the low speeds but high revs because of the beach work when sand is soft.

4.Which ever one I choose you will need to get it a protective coating because of the beach salt.

PS. It will have a 3" stainless steel exhaust. It also runs 16" x 8" painted alloy rims with 33" 8 ply tyres "Mickey Thompson" running most times with 15psi tyre pressure with diff locks, 5 speed gearbox.

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom