120 Series General Tech and Classified (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@dnp thanks for that. Momma is looking at getting into a GX and I literally was just about to ask about know issues that should be on the list to keep an eye out for, so thank you for posting that.
Glad to hear you're gonna join the club......you'll really like the vehicle!

By the way, things have really gotten active on the 120 forum, so you'll find a lot of useful information available over there (lifts, cheap mods, stock info, etc.)

120-Series Toyotas

Mo progress today.

Prepping for rear main seal replacement.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
IMG_9365.JPG

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well, this might be following us home today.

0910161322_HDR.jpg

Nice. Details?

Well interesting story. The place we are at currently has 3 that look identical. That one was the first one we test drove. 2008 102k miles, but when I checked the carfax I saw it was a NY truck so I went back out and checked the frame... Nope, we need to look at another one. I check the frames on the other 2 and I picked the one with the cleanest underside.

So the one we will be taking home is a 2008 109k on the clock. Loaded with Mark Levinsen sound and the rear DVD player. I hate that they bathe the engine bays in dapper dan at every one of these lots but this one was the least shiney under the hood. I got my 3rd gen from here and they are pretty good folks.

I will get more pictures once we get it home. No current plans at all. Momma says maybe some tires when the Michelins wear out, but otherwise staying stock.

I told her that was fine, I had a 40 to put together right now anyway.

Nice find. If speakers sound like crap refoam them. It seems a lot of ML speakers foam takes a crap. Refoam and they sound awesome. It is like $25 a pair.

We made it home just ahead of the rain today. Safe and sound in the garage.

0910161743_HDR.jpg

Interior is very nice, not showing much wear at all.

0910161744_HDR.jpg

0910161744a_HDR.jpg

Tool kit was missing the pliers, but I stole a pair out of one of the other trucks to complete the set.

0910161745_HDR.jpg

Currently plan is for mom to read the manuals and figure out how to operate all the bells and whistles. I'm gonna pick up a 3M kit and hit the headlights and that will be it. When the time comes probably throw in some 265/70R17 tires and go. Momma really likes the new ridge grapplers, And convienently that is the smallest size they come in.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
On my current mission, some progress. Decided to insulate the tunnel with butyl rubber and foil stuff. I got as far as new motor mounts, rear main, flexplate, cleaned the hell out of the trans plus new in/output seals and extended my tcase and trans breather lines. Oh, and the rear calipers are 90% done. Decided to go ahead and replace the soft and hard lines on the axle housing. So parts are arriving on the @beno express Tuesday.

Check out them yella pins in the Napa caliper kit @MScruiser !

Them there yella looks real nice. Now ya gotta do the rest of 'er like that.

They are Reman calipers that come painted and ready to install. I use a lot of them at the shop.

Rick, looking good. You get into the diff yet?

So how bad is the timing belt on the v8? @Bossman are you into yours yet? The GX has 109k on the clock and while it has a good service history, no record of T-belt. We got a few $$ knocked off because of it, but now I need to decide if this is something I can knock out in a weekend or if I should just take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. I did the belt on my 3.4 a couple years ago and have done a couple of 3.0s over the years so I am no stranger to taking the front of the motor apart, but as I move further into the present on these rigs I get more nervous about messing with them. Is there a lot of garbage to take off or is it similar to the 3.4.

Also, aside from the belt and water pump should any pulleys, tensioners, etc. be replaced while I'm in there?

And is there a good place to buy the factory service manuals? I have a thing about having the manual for the vehicle. Found a set on fleabay for $500, which seems a little steep, but may be what they run for the newer trucks.

Thanks

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Aisin-TKT-021-Engine-Timing-Water/dp/B008EEYWKI This is all you need. Aisin pump, metal/rubber gasket (OEM spec), Koyo bearings, NTN tensioner, and a Mitsuboshi (correct spelling) belt. Things like a new serpentine tensioner/pulley, idler pulley, hoses, etc. are optional. At 109K, I'd say the Aisin kit is all you'd need. Not a difficult job, but that's because Rob makes it look easy. If he's not around, you can do it (just be careful to protect your radiator when you're pulling off the fan)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom