This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello my name is Josh, I have been a 'mud' user for a couple months. I have learned a ton of great info from this forum. I purchased a 1998 LC100 with 242k miles. People on here seem more mature, less snobby, more friendly and willing to help than any other online forum I have participated in. I have only had my hundy for less than three months. I have gone over virtually the entire truck to give it a nice baseline on maintenance on top of the excellent service history I received with the truck.

1. New Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks all around.
2. New front seat upholstery from Sophie's Seat Design in Los Angeles.
3. Nicer 2nd and 3rd row seats from Craigslist.
4. Like new 2nd row cupholder and 2nd row DS seatbelt from toyotapartsonly.com
5. New Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16
6. New Front Sway Bar Bushings, brackets and bolts.
7. Pioneer AVH-4100NEX with Android Auto.
8. Ironman lower control arm braces. Thanks user "Hltoppr".
9. New headlight and foglight (yello) bulbs by PIAA.
10. New rear DS sway bar link and bushings.
11. New AC compressor, evaporator, dryer, expansion valve and recharge.

So here is my first meaningful contribution: regarding the annoying front end rattle or chatter you get over bumps from the front brake pads. I purchased these anti rattle springs from Autozone for under $7 for a pair and installed them inless than 45 minutes, which only required jacking up the truck and removing the wheels. Then sliding the lower retaining pin (my name for it) from the caliper on each side. The part number is 'H4749'. Perhaps the best $7 I ever spent. My truck is basically rattle free now (I do have some kind of occasional "creak" coming from the front sometimes though). I am attaching pics for your pleasure. Let me know if you have any questions.

Anti rattle spring package.jpg

Anti rattle spring.jpg

What is next you ask? I am getting a front locker (already have center and rear OE lockers) and onboard air installed next week. Also thinking about some "White Knuckle" sliders. The only things that currently do not function perfectly on my truck are:

1. Power antenna. I am using the rear "in window"antenna currently which works great, so I have no plans to replace the power antenna.
2. The moonroof (Sunroof?) does not open, but if you press the button the motor does make some noise. I am not worried about this now, maybe if I get bored I will fix it.
3. Front windshield has a rather large crack on the DS. I have no plans to replace this until it cracks a lot more, possibly as the result of some wheeling in Borego Springs!
4. The "D" for drive in the IP. Seems like You are in the minority if this thing still works. I will never fix this.

Did you get the rattle on the driver side only or both sides of the truck?

Hmm good going o4gto. But I never noticed any break rattle. Even if I have the windows down and driving slow. I wonder if the noise you are talking about has to do with Brake ware. i.e. brakes thickness.

Wait a minute.

What?

That annoying clatter might be from my freakin BRAKE PADS?!?! I've been stressin' something important being loose ever since I bought this truck, gone over every bolt twice, assumed I would have to wait for something to fall off in order to know what was causing the noise, and you up and post "hey buy this $5 spring"?!?!!!

How did you figure this out?!? Was it a part that was installed at the factory and then maybe not reinstalled during a previous brake job?

Regardless it is a cheap thing to try so I've ordered it.

If this proves to have been the source for the World's Most Annoying Clatter and you are interested in drawers you let me know cause buddy boy you just earned yourself a discount ;)

Wait a minute.

What?

That annoying clatter might be from my freakin BRAKE PADS?!?! I've been stressin' something important being loose ever since I bought this truck, gone over every bolt twice, assumed I would have to wait for something to fall off in order to know what was causing the noise, and you up and post "hey buy this $5 spring"?!?!!!

How did you figure this out?!? Was it a part that was installed at the factory and then maybe not reinstalled during a previous brake job?

If this proves to have been the source for the World's Most Annoying Clatter and you are interested in drawers you let me know cause buddy boy you just earned yourself a discount ;)

I think they come with those springs from the factory. I did bosch brakes recently and they even came with new springs. Sounds yours weren't reinstalled at some point.

That little spring didn't come with my Toyota brake kit that I ordered. Came in the NAPA brake parts kit though, go figure.

I've always had these springs in my brakes. You must have been missing yours.

Wait a minute.

What?

Rattles def annoy the ish out of me. I was going over some large speed bumps in my neighborhood with windows down when I first noticed the sound. Another time I went over the bumps I had to gently brake for some pedestrians and was surprised to find the sound gone. Another couple days pass and the sound returned....hmmmm. Then I remembered having a similar occurrence on one of my previous vehicles! So I went home and jacked her up and tried wiggling the brake pads at all four wheels. Fronts were both loose when wiggled laterally. Problem found, then I went on a Toyota parts sight and found a diagram and ordered the parts. Later I found some threads on mud and other sites where a few people had the same issue. Problem solved! I think they either rusted and fell off or more likely some lazy bastard did not put them on when doing a brake job for the PO.

So now I have a rattle that I created. I did the mod to have front anti sway bar quick releases and they rattle (although nowhere near as pad as the brake pads did). So I think I am gonna coat them in spray on or dipped on rubber.

I have actually been looking at your KISS drawer system. Not at the top of my mod list yet, but when I get ready I will order some from you.

FWIW I ordered the spring @04gto recommended from AutoZone and they shipped it NEXT DAY for free, which actually made me feel guilty considering it was in a 8x8x8 box and I really didn't need it so fast... but hey I'd recommend them now!

Might be early days to say for certain but I didn't hear the familiar rattle today hitting the usual potholes, so thank you @04gto !

Here's what was happening to mine: the brake pad has some "play" in them either from being old or not being OEM, meaning the have some up and down play where they are seated in the caliper. That spring that @04gto got from autozone puts some outward pressure on the pads to keep them from just flopping around in there.
Sometimes this isn't an issue and it doesn't make any noise but if you have just one grain of sand stuck to your rotor it will grab that pad and slam it up against the caliper. This will happen every single time the wheel makes a rotation. it is most notable from 5-30 mph and instantly goes away if you put the slightest pressure on your brake pedal, making the pads push tight against the rotor.
So if you have a metal on metal slamming sound with every turn of the wheel and it goes away with brake pressure then you are most likely missing this clip.

I just replaced my brake and rotors on my 99 lc and when done I'm getting a noise more like the brake pads are grabbing and squeals... really doesn't effect the driving but maybe these springs not on there could be my issue? It's an on and off issue and happens half the time I'm driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom