10 amp gauge fuse keeps blowing

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by BOZ, Feb 1, 2007.

1. BOZ

BOZ

Any idea why my 10amp Gauge fuse keeps blowing. I have replace 3 in the past year:confused: .

Boz
  2. roncruiser

roncruiser

Which 10 amp fuse? Just a little more information would be helpful. Not saying I can help you, but the more information provided the better for someone who can help.
  3. BOZ

BOZ

As posted "Gauge" fuse. runs all the switches and guages.
  4. Squash

Squash

Sounds like the little problem I have. #10 in the center second one down?

This fuse also supplys power to yor window relay. Mind tends to blow when switching betwen forward and reverse only when off road and more often with CDL in low range. Originaly thought it was my trailer wiring but ruled this out when I ripped the wiring out. On occasion a nasty trail bump has also blown this fuse.
    My gut tells me that there is probably a short in the rear passenger back up/brake light system as this seems to be the common denomiter.

Good luck and carry extra fuses
  5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator Supporting Vendor

When does it blow? Is there a pattern?

At one time I had 50 watt hallogen backup bulbs and those things would pop my gauge fuse about every two months. Maybe there is a problem in your back-up circuit?
  6. Squash

Squash

So,

I have ripped out the trailer harness and the (Number 7) 10 amp fuse still blows, added ground wires and still...now normally this happens when in locked CDL low and reverse, but twice driving in forward high range after a jarring bump caused by the hitch catching solid rock This leads me to think that the system is shorting via the frame or body, but where.

My guess again is the right rear???

Of course I carry extra fuses and may add a 10amp breaker until the culprit is rooted out.

Another thing, would a short cause Low reverse to cut out at higher rpm's? this is a new gremlin.

Thanks
  7. JPHockerAZ

JPHockerAZ

A lttle background on the problem I had: I was driving down the road here in Tucson with the A/C on. It was about 100 degrees outside and all of a sudden the A/C shut off and the gauges in the dash stopped working. After replacing the fuse, everthing was fine until i turned the A/C compressor back on, the fuse blew again. It only happend when I turned the A/C comprssor on, not the blower fan, heater, rear heat, or anything else on the heat/A/C control panel. So, I took a Toyota wiring schematic for the gauge circut and began testing things on the circut. At first, all indications pointed to the A/C cut relay behind the main engine computer. After I replaced that, the problem continued. So, I took the test further and now determined that the clutch on the compressor is the culprit. It was pulling about 20 amps and i THINK it is supposed to pull about 5 or 6. But, while i was there i found that the compressor is aftermarket anyway and Toyota sells the clutch and the compressor as one piece for the 1FZ:D .

I hope my living without A/C in Tucson for the past 2 weeks without A/C could maybe help you identify a problem quicker.

Cheers:beer:
  8. dfmorse

dfmorse

9. ikeedikeed

ikeedikeed

I seem to have just acquired a similar problem. I've gone through six fuses today alone. It seems to blow either after a while while driving in high range, but almost instantly while reversing. At first I thought it was my recently installed GPS that I tapped into the ignition switch, but I rerouted it to the power outlet in under the hood and I've just gone through two more fuses trying it out since then.
  10. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator Supporting Vendor

Have you added anything to the back up lamp circuit or increased the wattage of the backp bulbs?
  11. ikeedikeed

ikeedikeed

The previous owner installed a hitch and trailer brake light control thing. I'll see if I can pull that out and try again. thx.

12. astr

astr

My gauge fuse started to blow repeatedly so after searching the 80 forum, I came across this thread. Sure enough, I had replaced the backup bulb with higher wattage units a while back. Put the 1156s back in and problem solved.

Thanks cdan :beer: I was dreading the prospect of troubleshooting all the circuits that are on the gauge fuse, trying to locate an intermittent problem.

The interesting thing is that I had replaced the bulbs with the higher wattage units several months ago and had no problems until this past week.