1 gal (4.25 lbs) propane tanks (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went to HD today to check out their propane tanks. they have the 10 lb. size (on either side of the tank in the middle) for 32.94. the 20 lb. size (in the middle, and this is the size most BBQ's come with) were 24.87. both tanks appear to be the same height with the 10 lb. tank having a smaller diameter. I also called a local propane dealer and they said they could order a 1.5 gallon propane tank for around 40.00.
sorry about the crappy cell phone pic:
Photo43.jpg

Scamper said:
Just to correct some errors here:

The standard size tank (the one's that come with your BBQ) are a 5 gal tank that holds 20 pounds. These are cheap (about $25) at any hardware store or Home Despot.

The smaller tanks of various sizes are crazy expensive, even in steel (if you go aluminum, grab your ankles :eek: ), but the 10 pound and 5 pound tanks are nice and worth the cost if you have to lug it around. The larger tanks are also more expensive too of course.

If you get a steel tank (cheapest), you save quite a bit over an aluminum tank, but they do rust once the paint starts chipping or abrading. The Al tanks don't rust, but you do have to have them retested (hydrostatic test) every some-odd number of years and that can be expensive--is around here anyway. I just toss the steel ones when they won't refill any longer.
I was having my tanks re-tested because it was cost effective, until they made the OPD law and I had to replace all of them. You need to factor in that included in the cost of re-testing is a full tank of LPG. Also consider that many areas charge a disposal fee to get rid of used tanks.

Around here the samller tanks are +$10 over the cost of the standard 5 gal/20# tanks. Not exactky crazy expensive when you consider the ease of use.

Krylon has the solution to rusting tanks $1.99 a can.;) I wouldn't even consider Al tanks unless I owned a boat.

Just to mention it again, propane distributors sell tanks at about the same cost as HD. But they usually include the first fill. First fill requires a purge which = $$.

picked up a 5 lb/1 gallon propane tank at a local propane dealer. the tank was 42.00 with 1 gallon of propane, this makes the 5 lb only about 5.00 more than the 10 lb tank at HD. the dealer purged the tank before filling it as well. here is a picture of it sitting next to a 20 lb/5 gallon (most BBQ grills come with the 20 lb/5 gallon size tank) for comparision:
DSC01604(Small).JPG

Last edited:
A couple of things about propane tanks.

Smaller tanks are more expensive but certainly more user friendly for some types of camping/outdoor adventures. Forget aluminum. Too expensive and just not worth it.

Propane weighs approx 4.24 pounds per gallon, so you can figure the gas quantity that a DOT (Department of Transportation) approved cylinder will hold.

All DOT cylinders need to be requalified at 12 years from the date of manufacture stamped on the collar. Many facilities can do a visual requalification and recertification that increases the cylinder life for another 5 years at little or no charge.

Hank Hill:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom