1 gal (4.25 lbs) propane tanks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a ballpark estimate on how long a 1 gallon (4.25 lbs) propane tank will go (cooking for 6 for 4-5 days)?

Hayes

Should be fine, I used one for my BBQ for a whole summer of camping.
Just be sure to shut the tank valve when not using it, the valves on stoves and BBQ's leak.

The 1 gallon tank will work, if you don't waste gas running a lantern or leaving the grill on. I have used one for 3-4 years and it gets me though trips 4-5 days long. You would have more leeway if you get the next size up which is 11 pounds. Bulk propane is the only way to go.

Drew,

Where is the best place to buy the 11 pounder?

SS

Grouseman said:
Drew,

Where is the best place to buy the 11 pounder?

SS

I got one at Sport Chalet, but Home Depot carries them as well. The HD one looks like a nicer quality tank, at least externally. I wish I had seen it first.

I have been looking for the smaller size propane tanks too, never noticed them @ HD. did you see them in your HD where the gas grills are at?

11lb = 5gal? That's the size I carry and it's too big. Would like a smaller one, but they are way $$$ more than the 5gal you can pick up at Costco, HD, etc. It's the standard size for propane grills. I've seen the smaller ones, but they are twice as expensive as the big one I carry.

Brent-the one you have is a 5 gallon, I think it is 40 pounds or so. I had an 11 pounder in Death Valley if you remember it. It fit inside my rear cargo box almost perfectly.

edit: Pics-- 5 gallon on left, 11 pounder center, 1 gallon (4.5) pounder right.
Propane2.jpg
Propane1.jpg

Last edited:
Thx Andy!

That big one I have is just too big, takes up too much space and isheavy for a longer trip.

I just picked up a 3lb. bottle with killer HD metal strap. It will run my new outfitter stove:

DSCF1530.JPG

The stove will make for great Iron Chef battles if I can ever make time to run with the Nor. Cal. group :beer:

Have you guys seen the L. P. tank on the Adventure trailer? Really nice size.
The guy designing that trailer, definately knows what he is doing.

SS

<Hank Hill> Your local Propane Distributor carries a full line of propane and propane accesories. </Hank Hill>

Really, they are about the same price as HD et all but my local place includs the first fill free. This is great because the first fill requires the tank be purged.

Grouseman said:
Have you guys seen the L. P. tank on the Adventure trailer? Really nice size.
The guy designing that trailer, definately knows what he is doing.

SS

I am using the 3lb tank from Adventure Trailers. The stove and mounting strap also came from them. All good quality stuff...

I use two 11 lb. bottles - available at Home depot in steel $$ - and at West Marine in ALUMINUM $$$$.

They last for weeks of cooking and hot water chores. They are easier to handle and store than the larger one, and have a bout the same footprint as the smaller (4.5 lb) bottles.

I've been looking for the 1 gallon (4.25 lb.) cannisters that have the bottom flange for a while around here, with no success. For the mounts I designed, I can't use the ones with no bottom flange.

See pics below to see what I mean, I want the ones with the flanges (second tank):

Thoughts? Suggestions?
propane tank, no lip.jpg
propane tank, with lip.jpg

Henry-Even though the two valves are different, the tanks are otherwise the same. All of the small tanks I have seen have a concave bottom and no flange. How about a quick redesign of the mount?

You guys need to check out Scott's Expedition site. Really cool....

SS

Just to correct some errors here:

The standard size tank (the one's that come with your BBQ) are a 5 gal tank that holds 20 pounds. These are cheap (about $25) at any hardware store or Home Despot.

The smaller tanks of various sizes are crazy expensive, even in steel (if you go aluminum, grab your ankles :eek: ), but the 10 pound and 5 pound tanks are nice and worth the cost if you have to lug it around. The larger tanks are also more expensive too of course.

If you get a steel tank (cheapest), you save quite a bit over an aluminum tank, but they do rust once the paint starts chipping or abrading. The Al tanks don't rust, but you do have to have them retested (hydrostatic test) every some-odd number of years and that can be expensive--is around here anyway. I just toss the steel ones when they won't refill any longer.

expeditionswest said:
I just picked up a 3lb. bottle with killer HD metal strap. It will run my new outfitter stove:

DSCF1530.JPG

The stove will make for great Iron Chef battles if I can ever make time to run with the Nor. Cal. group :beer:

Sweet! :cheers:

expeditionswest said:

DSCF1530.JPG

nice! I'm gonna have to step up my game as far as stoves go :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom