08 clamshell gearing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need gear head input. Getting ready to start gear install. I have a pretty good handle on what im getting into with the exception of how to get the outer bearing taper off of the pinion gear. Toyota uses a fancy sst and I was hoping somebody could give me a cheaper idea as to how to get that off. I understand that nomaly you can just press the pinion out, but being a clamshell that dosent look possible. Any input would be helpful thanks.

It's been years since I did mine, but pretty sure that I just used a slide hammer. You could probably use a regular puller, if it had thin enough arms.

Might be a little late for the answer, but someone might find it helpful.
-Remove diff from vehicle
-unbolt axe tube, remove inner stub if add
-unbolt clamshell and seperate. There are tabs to tap on to crack it loose
-Remove carrier.
-Hold 3rd member upright either with multiple hands, preferably a vise. Remove pinion nut, drive pinion out with large drift and hammer (the same way you would with a non-clamshell diff)
-Installing races is much easier if the case is warm, we put them in right after they come out of the hot parts washer.

I happened to have the parts link on my copy/paste clipboard, could also be helpful:
All Nitro 4.10 4.56 & 4.88 font gearsets are now "thick" to fit OEM 3.73 carrier or ARB RD121.

07-09 FJ Cruiser, 03-09 4runner & GX470, Prado 120, Fortuner

4.10 Without OEM Locker

4.10 WITH OEM Locker

4.56 Without OEM Locker

4.56 WITH OEM Locker

4.88 Without OEM Locker

4.88 WITH OEM Locker

ARB RD132 Rear Locker 09 & older Rear

ARB RD121 Front Air locker (use with stock AT FJ, or all with Nitro gears)

Chromoly rear axles

We have also seen a lot of failures on 09 & older FJ cruisers and offer this upgraded rearend package click here

2010+ FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Prado 150, GX460

4.56 Without OEM Locker

4.56 WITH OEM Locker

4.88 Without OEM Locker

4.88 WITH OEM Locker

ARB RD121 Front Air locker (use with stock AT FJ, or all with Nitro gears)

ARBRD193 Rear Locker 2010+ 8.2 rear

Chromoly rear axles

Need gear head input. Getting ready to start gear install. I have a pretty good handle on what im getting into with the exception of how to get the outer bearing taper off of the pinion gear. Toyota uses a fancy sst and I was hoping somebody could give me a cheaper idea as to how to get that off. I understand that nomaly you can just press the pinion out, but being a clamshell that dosent look possible. Any input would be helpful thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom