Builds '07 FJ Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made it to Home Depot today to check out some of the possible storage options in the cargo area. I've been debating for a while what is the best route, and although I like the sliding drawers, I did not like the price. And when the back seats are folded forward, the cargo area would no longer be totally flat. This summer I will have fishing poles and tackle boxes to think about, and in the fall my bow case/guns and backpack will be stored here as well. I have a 94pc Craftsman tool set that I have been wanting to store in some sort of tote/bag to keep it from sliding around the cargo area. So the container would have to be able to fit it along with my jumper cables and other odds and ins that may come along later.. I ended up finding a Husky rolling tote that fit nicely within the rubber matted cargo area. The only downside I see to this tote is that it blocks part of your sub woofer. But if you're that into bass, you've probably already thought of that.
Husky 22 in. Pro Grade Rolling Tote-GP-44449N13 - The Home Depot
0216161818.jpg

0216161815.jpg

0216161815a.jpg

There is also room with this bag to fit my ARB Premium Recovery Kit and a Yeti 45 with just a bit of room in the corner to spare. :clap:
0216161719.jpg

Finally got pictures of the rig cleaned up with the new 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx's installed. The first picture shows the alignment specs before and after.. Thank goodness I got it aligned the same day.
0216161447.jpg

The next pictures show how much space is left between the spare tire and stock rear bumper. I can just fit my fingertips in between. Also on a side note, I can also still open up the back glass without the tire being a problem.
0218161947.jpg

0218161948.jpg

Got a chance to drive around on the new Maxx's and I am very pleased so far with their performance. Haven't had a chance to do any off roading but the highway manners are very good in my opinion. The car does not wander, the tires are quiet, and on this particular tank of gas I averaged around 16mpg.
0221161658.jpg

0221161658a.jpg

0221161658b.jpg

The rig is really starting to transform! Looking really good although I'm partial the MAXXs! You'll please with their performance on on the trail as well.

What's next?

The rig is really starting to transform! Looking really good although I'm partial the MAXXs! You'll please with their performance on on the trail as well.

What's next?

Thanks! I'm not really sure what is going to happen next.. I've come to the point where I have installed basically everything on my list that I was adamant about so now I'm at somewhat of a standstill. Plus my piggy bank hurts and work is starting to pick back up (weather permitting). But I have been browsing the portable air compressor selection and at first I was all about the ARB but I found the VIAIR 450P that I like as well. Any other options or opinions are welcome.

I have the VIAIR and have been pleased with it. It's pretty quick and chugs along.
I'd guess the next thing is to decide your intended use? If your going to be hitting the trails or just occasional off-road use. You have a very capable vehicle as it sits now. But if your planning on getting into more intense trails, some added armor protection would be a good investment. Some skids to replace the factory tin and you should probably look into reinforcing or replacing the rear lower links. They are a proven weak spot. There are armor products and aftermarket replacements that are much stronger than the factory links.
But for now, your set up to go out and have some fun!
I did some interior upgrades to mine along the way. Added some additional 12V and USB chargers, swapped out the interior lights to LEDs (pretty substantial improvement). Swapped the mirror lights to LEDs and removed the diffuser. These are easy improvements that don't break the bank. Fluid Filmed the undercarriage for some added rust protection etc etc.

I have the VIAIR and have been pleased with it. It's pretty quick and chugs along.
I'd guess the next thing is to decide your intended use? If your going to be hitting the trails or just occasional off-road use. You have a very capable vehicle as it sits now. But if your planning on getting into more intense trails, some added armor protection would be a good investment. Some skids to replace the factory tin and you should probably look into reinforcing or replacing the rear lower links. They are a proven weak spot. There are armor products and aftermarket replacements that are much stronger than the factory links.
But for now, your set up to go out and have some fun!
I did some interior upgrades to mine along the way. Added some additional 12V and USB chargers, swapped out the interior lights to LEDs (pretty substantial improvement). Swapped the mirror lights to LEDs and removed the diffuser. These are easy improvements that don't break the bank. Fluid Filmed the undercarriage for some added rust protection etc etc.

Most everything that you have listed has been on my "well do I really need it or not" list. I love the idea of the armor even though I may never need it. One day I may wish I had it though.. And I do have a question on the interior LEDs. How did you choose to do it? I have seen some Putco LEDs but they are near $100. I don't want to buy junk either.

I've had really good results using the products on www.superbrightleds.com I've purchased interior and reverse lights for several of my vehicles from them with good performance and very reasonable prices.

Well I finally ended up putting in new LED bulbs for my cargo and dome lights and I have to say that they do make a noticeable difference. I ordered them from Diode Dynamics and they were shipped and delivered promptly. I bought the SMF6 version (94 lumens) with 6 little LEDs in "Cool White", which is not the brightest option but is definitely an upgrade. I will note that they were a tight fit so be somewhat careful while installing. Hopefully they'll last!

31mm_65050_white_web_94_1.jpg

Anything is better than stock right? I went with Pfran's kit here on Mud. Used him in the past on my FJ60 and liked the kit. These FJ's certainly benefit from decent interior lighting! Your rig looks great!
On a side note, how are those Maxx's working for you? I like the look and the face that they appear slightly more aggressive than the BFG AT's I'm currently wearing out. I daily drive my FJ, so lack of hum and mileage are paramount. Off road traction comes in second, but only just barely. ;)

Anything is better than stock right? I went with Pfran's kit here on Mud. Used him in the past on my FJ60 and liked the kit. These FJ's certainly benefit from decent interior lighting! Your rig looks great!
On a side note, how are those Maxx's working for you? I like the look and the face that they appear slightly more aggressive than the BFG AT's I'm currently wearing out. I daily drive my FJ, so lack of hum and mileage are paramount. Off road traction comes in second, but only just barely. ;)

Thanks! I really like my Maxx's so far. Not much off-roading has been done yet, but I have a 4 hr drive every other weekend and it's all highway (45-65 mph) and they have been quiet and ride really well especially in the rain and snow IMO. I haven't had as much of a problem with them throwing rocks as I expected either, of course all tires of this nature do a little. I feel like they ride the best at 35psi highway, they seem to wear about as evenly as you could hope for so far just from looking at where the little hairs have wore off of the tires. The shop that put them on had 45psi in them from the mount and balance and I could definitely tell a difference in the ride (stiff). Some people may say that the load range E's ride somewhat rough but my DD is a 3/4 ton Chevy work truck so that is a non issue for me. On a side note I am really glad I got the heavy springs up front with the OME suspension. Even with the ARB bumper, the front end doesn't sag or dip much even when I have to brake hard.

Most everything that you have listed has been on my "well do I really need it or not" list. I love the idea of the armor even though I may never need it. One day I may wish I had it though.. And I do have a question on the interior LEDs. How did you choose to do it? I have seen some Putco LEDs but they are near $100. I don't want to buy junk either.

For headlights, I went with the Sylvania Ultras 60/55w and then I went to the IPFs 60/55w. I like the IPFs better, but the Ultras are very good. Do NOT go with the higher wattage, as you can melt your headlights. I also tried the HID Projectors, but I did not like the off road pattern at all. The low beam provided no light above the middle of the light. You have to go High Beam to "see in the trees".

Whatever you do, get yourself a long phillips screwdriver so that you can adjust your headlights. Otherwise you will annoy other drivers due to your lift and brighter lights.

The stock armor is fine until you drag on the rocks. I went with Bud Built, they are very heavy. I went back to the stock Gas Tank skid, as the Bud Built gas tank plate bent. They've redesigned it since then to add stiffness, but honestly, the stock Gas skid works great. Metal Tech kept theirs as well.

If I were to do anything else to yours, the first thing would be sliders way before doing skid plates. That will help you the most off road, and it does help your shorter passengers get in/out easier. I went with Metal Tech's sliders, and have been very pleased.

I would also consider adding a 12v outlet in the cargo area. I installed mine in the 110 outlet panel.

My final recommendation would be to unspool the winch and spool back in under load. Sometimes the factory spooling isn't tight enough, and when you actually need it, the cable winds up pulling in to the wrap. Then the next time you use it, you will have a tough time spooling past that pinch.

For headlights, I went with the Sylvania Ultras 60/55w and then I went to the IPFs 60/55w. I like the IPFs better, but the Ultras are very good. Do NOT go with the higher wattage, as you can melt your headlights. I also tried the HID Projectors, but I did not like the off road pattern at all. The low beam provided no light above the middle of the light. You have to go High Beam to "see in the trees".

Whatever you do, get yourself a long phillips screwdriver so that you can adjust your headlights. Otherwise you will annoy other drivers due to your lift and brighter lights.

The stock armor is fine until you drag on the rocks. I went with Bud Built, they are very heavy. I went back to the stock Gas Tank skid, as the Bud Built gas tank plate bent. They've redesigned it since then to add stiffness, but honestly, the stock Gas skid works great. Metal Tech kept theirs as well.

If I were to do anything else to yours, the first thing would be sliders way before doing skid plates. That will help you the most off road, and it does help your shorter passengers get in/out easier. I went with Metal Tech's sliders, and have been very pleased.

I would also consider adding a 12v outlet in the cargo area. I installed mine in the 110 outlet panel.

My final recommendation would be to unspool the winch and spool back in under load. Sometimes the factory spooling isn't tight enough, and when you actually need it, the cable winds up pulling in to the wrap. Then the next time you use it, you will have a tough time spooling past that pinch.

Thanks for the info!

With our trip to Ouray, CO. and Moab, UT. coming up next week, I finally broke down and bought a Viair Air Compressor. I ended up going with the 450P model, which is 100% duty cycle. While just giving it a test run in the driveway I am fairly impressed. Hopefully it will perform just as well out West next week!
VIAIR Corporation - 450P-Automatic Compressor (P/N 45043)
450P-auto.png

how is your ome kit? how diffrent is the ride?

how is your ome kit? how diffrent is the ride?

I have been pleased with my OME kit so far. Most of the time I use the vehicle as a pavement princess, (unfortunately). The road manners are good and the tires have wore good to date. [TIP: Make sure you get them aligned by someone who knows what is going on. I took it to a big name tire shop and they did it right and gave me a print out of the before and after. HUGE difference.] I can pull my jon boat (Alumacraft 2072) and the FJ sits about level. It sits the same with 5 people and 2 YETI coolers in the back as well. Having said this, if you are wanting to pull something a bit heavier quite often you may want to go for the heavy springs in the back. But, then you may need some more horsepower to go along with that lol. I have yet to make it "squat" with the medium springs in the rear and I quite like the fact that it doesn't ride like a rock, (or my friend's 2010 Jeep Mountain Edition,) which is stock and still rides worse. I would say that the ride is obviously a bit rougher than stock but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking at a "lift". REMEMBER I have an ARB bumper and winch on the front, so the added weight is going to help the ride as well.

- On a side note we just returned from our Ouray-Moab trip and the vehicle and lift both performed flawlessly. :clap:

I've been really impressed with my MAXXs on the trail. I've had them down to 13-14 PSI in some really boney, rocky areas and they have really done well. Equally as well in the mud. Do you have any feedback after taking them out west? And agree completely with your OME assessment. It can be a little stiff but once loaded down in "overland" mode, the OME is in its element and comfortable. I've since swapped my rear out to a LT setup for better articulation but went with the OME-60071L.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom