05 GX470 - Add a Transmission Dipstick? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...Run the GX around until the tranny is at normal operating conditions. Pull back into flat garage and leave running in park. Remove the overflow plug approx .5 quarts should come out. Good to go

Fluid temp should be between 97°F and 115°F when you remove the overflow plug.

Ok folks. I crawled under the 07 using a creeper to gauge the scope of transmission fluid drain and replacement. The engineering stupidity is strong with this one in several ways. First a sealed system with no dipstick, brilliant! Second, the idea that the fluid should not be changed is amusing. The final engineering marvel is placing what appears to be a 22mm fill bolt in a spot that would challenge Harry Houdini. I kid you not.

Now to my question. How hard is this bolt going to be to break/back out? Has anybody done it? I am interested in hearing how, given the limited space. Many thanks in advance.

One other thing...how do you snake a hose from above the engine bay to fill? From underneath I did not see any opening that would allow access.

I actually have not done my 04 yet, I did my 03 but that was cheating. I have done tons of sealed transmision services in other vehicles, the process is nearly the same across the board. With the proper size wrench the plug should not be an issue. If you are trying to use a crescent wrench or something ghetto then it will be a problem. You also have to fill it from below, pump the fluid into it with your transfer pump. Here is a video on how to do a BMW which has a similar method and you can see how to get the fluid in: Part 2: Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid & F…:

Kbhaus. Thanks for the video. I was thinking of measuring the atf that is drained and filling +/- .25 liter more than came out on the drain, then run the car for a few minutes and when the temp is in range open the check valve and drain the excess. I would repeat this process ever 7-10k miles. Sound like a plan?

i've fill mine from the top. you just need to get a long section of hose. i snaked the hose from the top and jammed the lower end into the fill plug hole. sizing the hose to the fill plug threads will give you a snug fit so the hose doesnt inadvertantly slip out. jam a funnel into the top end of the hose and away you go.

Filling from below with a pump is easy. Getting the fill plug out was not a problem for me, and I have no special tools or abilities.

After you fill, there is a procedure to jumper pins at the OBD port to put the truck into a mode where it will flash the AT TEMP light when the transmission is the right temp for opening the overflow plug. I'm typing this on my phone right now, otherwise I'd supply a link. If you search T4R.org you'll find the procedure easily. Anything that applies to the 4th gen 4R transmission also applies to the GX. I've done the procedure and it works well.

I just drained my tranny got 2.75 liters out and put 3.3 back in went for a drive, removed overflow plug and got 1.5 liters out. Hmmmm...

Above in post #17 7shulz says to leave car running in park when the overfill bolt is removed?

I parked mine on a flat surface and waited for the temp to drop to 110 degrees prior to removing the overfill plug. Did I do something wrong?

Does anyone have the FSM and confirm the correct procedure?

I just bought the car used <500 miles ago, is it possible PO overfilled?

Thank Hoosier. I drained it without the engine idling. One thing I noticed from the FSM you provided was the required temp range of 115-130. Above it was indicated that the correct range is 97-115 degrees. Thoughts?

How are you monitoring the transmission temp? I have never gone for a drive then set the level, it will get too hot and then you are trying to set the level with it cooling off which is not how it works. Start with it cold, let it idle in your driveway and it will come up to temp pretty quick. Follow the procedure, you will probably have to add some fluid at this point which is easy with a pump, just put it in until it starts to come out. You have to move fast though, often the trans temp will rise quickly and then be out of the window. Go with what the FSM wants for temps. Does it all make sense?

It makes sense thanks. I guess it would be easier to drain cold and refill drained amount + .25 liter, close it up star the engine run it throug the gears, get it to the required temp and pull then overfill plug - let ear drain, close her back up.

FWIW the fluid I pulled out looked tired - it was dark brown. The idea that this is a lifetime sealed unit is silly.

Thank Hoosier. I drained it without the engine idling. One thing I noticed from the FSM you provided was the required temp range of 115-130. Above it was indicated that the correct range is 97-115 degrees. Thoughts?

Toyota updated the temp range to the lower 97–115 spec. Makes it easier because you can just feel the pan and when it's around body temp or a little warmer it is good.

In what publication did they amend the required temperature range? Last I checked it was 115F - 130F.

Also, on a GX470 with KDSS I think there is an issue with jumping the pins on the OBD connector to use the dash lights to indicate the proper temp. range. I had to use Techstream to get a transmission temp reading.

In what publication did they amend the required temperature range? Last I checked it was 115F - 130F.

Also, on a GX470 with KDSS I think there is an issue with jumping the pins on the OBD connector to use the dash lights to indicate the proper temp. range. I had to use Techstream to get a transmission temp reading.

T-SB-0129-08 shows the updated temp range. Not sure how critical it is really, I haven't heard of too many problems.
I used the Torque app to get the temp.
Where do you get the Techstream?

T-SB-0129-08 shows the updated temp range. Not sure how critical it is really, I haven't heard of too many problems.
I used the Torque app to get the temp.
Where do you get the Techstream?

I think you can download the Techstream off the web. Also, when you buy one of the eBay OBDII cables to interface with your computer you also get a CD with a few versions of Techstream on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom