0 to 60 times. How slow/fast is your 80? w/ videos (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you ever tested how much temperature difference it actually makes? Would be easy to do by blocking the airflow with a piece of cardboard.

It does get hot sitting after driving it, but it cools down pretty quick. If I put my hand on it right after driving, it feels cool. I'll try to do a semi -scientific test on it soon.

How hot does it get? Can you put your hand on top of it if you drive around with little boost and let the engine heatsoak? My concern with the top mounts was always that that part of the engine gets hot since you have a lot of radiant heat from the exhaust manifold. In my mind it would act a lot like an interheater than an intercooler. lol.

I have always had the same concerns. Also, since most of us run souped up fan clutches, there is at least a small amount of positive pressure in the engine compartment. Any air scoop on the hood will have to overcome that pressure to move any fresh air thru the IC. I have always thought an electric fan fitted up to the IC would be the way to go. John

I like the fan idea too, it would cool quicker if it heat soaks from sitting. I put my hand on it the other day after driving around town like a dumb ass teenager (still enjoying how well it runs now and the immature exhaust noise) and it was nice and cool.

By the way, just added a scanguage and IAT was 86 degrees and WT was 186

Yes but remember those IAT's are pre SC'er. So if the intercooler is hotter than 86f, then it could be heating the air. Lots of unknowns with the TRD SC and the top mount intercoolers. You really need a temp sensor pre and post intercooler to see whats happening. But I forgot with your hood scoop as long as it feels cool to the touch I am sure you are getting benefit

I agree on IAT, I would like to monitor temp in the intake, after SC, intercooler and soon coming water/methanol

Thanks for the pictures! Speaking of intercooling,,,

YJeff and I meet the owner of an induction specialty shop yesterday and talked to him about designing a custom 4.5 intercooler system. The guy has been doing it for years and has does everything from drift vehicles to high end vehicle induction mods. His viewpoints and understanding of induction was both impressive and educational. Our old TRD SC's are rather primitive compared to todays stuff lol

With the AZ temps and hot inducted air into the engine, we are working on getting one of our rigs over to his shop for a mock up. He suggests a water to air system using a barrel design cooler that would replace the finned TRD tube on the top of the engine where dogfishlake's intercooler is.

I don't want to mount the intercooler in front of my radiator so we talked about locating it in my front bumper: cutting out the bottom front and welding in a heavy mesh for air flow. The design has the extra space that would be large enough to put a long intercooler rad in that spot. Here is a pic of back when it was being fabricated. It would go on the section below the front driving lights.

bump-jpg.422302

bump4-jpg.422303

He currently has some big contracts with custom jobs he needs to finish before we can schedule a time (kinda small fish compared to some of the jobs he was doing) for a mock up It will then come down to how much $$ we are looking at.

He said we can even get into volume high flow injectors that would be controlled by a mapped piggyback ecu system. I think right now Ill just focus on cooler air, better performance, and try to extend my engine life with the IC.

Last edited:
I couldn't find my infrared pyrometer but I had to run to the bait shop for some fishin worms so I did the hand check on my intercooler before during, and after my trip (5 miles). First I warmed it up to 180 degree water temp before takeoff, supercharger and intercooler nice and cool. We did a couple brake stand launches and general foolishness to push some boost. When I got to the bait shop, I checked again. Supercharger hot, in side of intercooler hot, out side much cooler (probably 30 degrees plus). Checked when I came out before starting, everything hot. Checked at the end of their driveway (idling pretty much, almost a,quartet mile) out side cooler by a lot (20 degrees plus). Checked after cruising at 50 for one more mile, everything nice and cool. Water temp never got above 190. My observation is the IC heat soaks with engine off and hot but recovers VERY quickly. Glad I have it.

Got my transgo shift kit installed. Still have a lag that's costing me nearly a second, maybe it's the intercooler, not sure. I checked my time with a stopwatch and I'm getting 9 seconds. Trying to do this in steps, next will be water/methanol, then pulley

So still not brake boosting??? lol

That is so weird! It can't be the intercooler it has to be transmission related. Because the engine RPMS are increasing if you aren't moving there has to be a little slip happening somewhere.

Have you check the trans fluid and the trans cable?

I didn't brake boost, the truck starts moving when the rpms go up, it just lags for a second then comes alive, the engine that is

YJeff and I meet the owner of an induction specialty shop yesterday and talked to him about designing a custom 4.5 intercooler system. The guy has been doing it for years and has does everything from drift vehicles to high end vehicle induction mods. His viewpoints and understanding of induction was both impressive and educational. Our old TRD SC's are rather primitive compared to todays stuff lol

With the AZ temps and hot inducted air into the engine, we are working on getting one of our rigs over to his shop for a mock up. He suggests a water to air system using a barrel design cooler that would replace the finned TRD tube on the top of the engine where dogfishlake's intercooler is.

I don't want to mount the intercooler in front of my radiator so we talked about locating it in my front bumper: cutting out the bottom front and welding in a heavy mesh for air flow. The design has the extra space that would be large enough to put a long intercooler rad in that spot. Here is a pic of back when it was being fabricated. It would go on the section below the front driving lights.

bump-jpg.422302

bump4-jpg.422303

He currently has some big contracts with custom jobs he needs to finish before we can schedule a time (kinda small fish compared to some of the jobs he was doing) for a mock up It will then come down to how much $$ we are looking at.

He said we can even get into volume high flow injectors that would be controlled by a mapped piggyback ecu system. I think right now Ill just focus on cooler air, better performance, and try to extend my engine life with the IC.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to hearing more after his big contracts are done.

6.5 seconds to 60 mph? Are you kidding me?
#1. Why would you want to make a 6k lbs vehicle hit 60 in 6.5 seconds?

#2 how the hell didja do that?

#3. Mind = blown!

Thats a fast 0-60! My 2.2 vtec accord barely hits that, and its pretty fast.....

I don't care to be beaten by a 2.2 vtec accord, hence my quest continues. Going fast (and quick) is fun!

bump-jpg.422302

bump4-jpg.422303

He said we can even get into volume high flow injectors that would be controlled by a mapped piggyback ecu system. I think right now Ill just focus on cooler air, better performance, and try to extend my engine life with the IC.

Looking forward to hearing more after his big contracts are done.[/QUOTE]

Did you get any updates on the intercooler yet? Looks like a good possible option. I am intersted in piggy back ecu too, though it looks like everyone that has tried it so far drops back and punts and goes with the stand alone ecu.

Looking forward to hearing more after his big contracts are done.

Did you get any updates on the intercooler yet? Looks like a good possible option. I am intersted in piggy back ecu too, though it looks like everyone that has tried it so far drops back and punts and goes with the stand alone ecu.[/QUOTE]

No updates yet. I'm seriously considering piecing together a PWR 5x8 with my own hoses, heat exchanger and pump to go with a Snow water/Meth system at some point.

Cool thread!

Anyone have any predictions on this setup:

175k miles
40" tires
6" lift in the back - 8" in the front
5.29 gears
4x4 labs rear bumper
12k winch
VPR 4x4 front bumper
Heavy duty sliders (sorry - can't remember who made them)
quite a bit of extra weight from stereo/sub/etc..

Too late to confirm if your guesses are accurate, there's a T70 turbo / W2A intercooler / ECU / injectors/ etc that's currently being installed. Target HP is 450-500 at the crank on about 15 lbs of boost.

So with that much power, and that much weight.... what's your guess?

Confirmation will be 3-4 weeks. Turbo is done in a week or so, but I'm installing Nitro axles/birfs before I do any full blasts..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom