Builds ROTW Racerdave 1996 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 FZJ80 Black w/ cloth interior
166K Miles

Current state-

OME J’s w/ 1.5” Slee spacers in the rear and 2.5” FZJFillmore/Ratio Spacers up front
Slee front arms
Slee front and rear adjustable panhards
Slee adjustable upper rear arms
Front DC drive shaft
ARB air lockers front and rear
4.88s
ARB compressor with Slee mount
Slee air manifold
315/75-16 Goodyear MTR’s
ARB front bumper
Warn HS9500 winch
Hella Black Magic lights
HIR high and low beams
Slee light harness
CDL switch
Alpine CDA-9856 CD player
Uniden CB Pro-520XL
Snorkel
3 Cosco child restraint systems with 5 point harnesses

Future state –
Wildyoats rear bumper w/ swing out tire carrier
Sliders (based on George’s design)
Slee 6” springs

We have owned the 80 for 2 years. It was purchased off ebay from a fellow club member. I think that many passed over it because it was not locked. It was lifted, had 315s and the ARB. It cost me less for the gears and ARBs than it would have to get the lift, tires and bumper so I figure that I came out ahead.

I have been a cruiserhead since the early 90’s. I bought my 1966 FJ40 in ‘93 when I was a senior in high school. My friends all had heeps and I was always a little smarter so naturally the cruiser was for me. I remember going to the local dealer to get parts for the 40 and walking past the new 80s. I would walk slow, often stopping to check the window sticker. I knew then what the dial was for and would always tell who ever would listen that new cruisers had factory lockers (funny that the one I bought did not have the dial).

Fast forward 10 years. I was married with two children. The ‘66 had not been driven for 7 years but I still owned and loved it. I had a ‘76 FJ40 and a 1996 4Runner. The runner had a locker but was otherwise stock. The kids were starting to enjoy wheeling. We contemplated lifting the runner and just wheeling it, but the memories of those 80s on the lot seemed fresh in my mind. Those same 80s that I had walked past now had a lot of miles and the prices were dropping into our range. We finally pulled the trigger in the summer of ’04 and have been happy ever since. The ‘76 went on the block the next summer and was sold to help pay for the lockers and gears. Many thanks go out to my friends Will, Ryan, and Trent for all the help gettings the gears and lockers installed and all the bugs worked out.

Today the 80 is my wife’s primary mode of transportation. We now have three kids who refer to the 80 as the “Big Black Cruiser”. The ’66 is in the garage receiving much needed TLC, in the form of SOA, P/S, 4 wheel disk brake, etc…

Sorry for the long story. I am kind of a lurker here on the board and many of you do not know who I am. I thought a little background was in order.

I will get pictures up ASAP
DSCN1255 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
The Switches
Switches.JPG

Over the hood looking into Telluride
overthehood.JPG

Moab in March
MoabinMarch1.JPG

Last edited:
Coming soon

Last edited:
racerdave said:
Today the 80 is my wife’s primary mode of transportation.

Great background on your truck and your rig once again demonstrates what an outstanding vehicle the 80 is. Yours is built up great yet it is still docile, safe, and reliable enough to serve as the family hauler. Ya gotta love that!

Nice rig! :beer:

-B-

Come on Dave, let's see some pics of the big, black . . . truck. :flipoff2:

Seriously, love your truck. Just when I'm feeling good about how tall my truck is I park next to you and feel like a shrimp.

I love your history Dude and I thought is the same ( or very close ) as most historys here .. me included ..

So my love for cruiser start with a 61 series, that own my old ex next door, grey, sunroof .. 12H-T uff .. good times .. ! only dreams in those years .. but now reallity .. thanks for share your life .. ( or a little section that involve cruisers .. )

:D

TiredIronGRB said:
With the J's and spacers what did you do for castor correction?

Looking forward to more pictures.

He has the Slee front control arms.

Hey Dave, as much as I LOVE conquering obstacles that Heeps with lockers do with equal trouble. :D How much did your front and rear ARB's run you?...if you don't mind me asking

"With the J's and spacers what did you do for castor correction?"

Jason is correct, caster correction is handled by the Slee control arms

"Hey Dave, as much as I LOVE conquering obstacles that Heeps with lockers do with equal trouble."

I was still open on that obstacle in the only picture

"How much did your front and rear ARB's run you?"

Just for the lockers? I did gears as well as replaced all the bearings at the sametime. My bill for lockers, gears, install kits, compressor, and knuckle kit was around 2,500. Labor was all donated by very good friends.

racerdave said:
Labor was all donated by very good friends.

Isn't that great!!! Now if i could just find some friends taht can set gears up i'll be set.......

concretejungle said:
Isn't that great!!! Now if i could just find some friends taht can set gears up i'll be set.......

Funny, I am looking for the same friends.

Nice rig Dave. That shot of Telluride is incredible. Very similar to a shot in FourWheeler taken about 35 years ago if memory serves. They recently recreated a similar shot. I have got to get off my lazy butt and take the 80 out there.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom