Full-Hydro on 80 Series Axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleeoffroad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.sleeoffroad.com
For those hardcore bunny's that don't venture into the 80 series side. Might be of interest :D

steering12.jpg

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=98597

Hopefully it holds together :D

nicely done Christo!! Can't wait for your on-road impressions of it....

any idea yet on how the front-arms effect the ackerman? (or don't ya care...lol)

Just noticed you are using the strength of the lower steering arm, nice idea.

We are running this same setup on a minitruck with regular 4 bolt high steer arms. I would think this is stronger. We have the bottom 4 bolts as well as three 12mm bolts on top. One of wich goes into a pin that is pressed and welded into the ABS Sensor hole.

Is the ram mounted in front of the steering arms?? Meaning, when the tires are pointing straight ahead, does the steering linkage angle rearwards?

They are just about straight. I would have liked the ram to sit further back, but the panhard rod was in the way. According to everyone we checked with, you need the arms to be straight when you are turned.

Yeah, that is where most of the stress happens...

But as with everything else, it is a compromise..

Looks good, full hydro will probably happen on my 40 one day..

Mace said:
Yeah, that is where most of the stress happens...

But as with everything else, it is a compromise..

Looks good, full hydro will probably happen on my 40 one day..

I do not get the compromise?

Radd Cruisers said:
I do not get the compromise?
The compromise is where he mounted the steering ram. It is not an ideal location. But, since the panhard bar get in the way of the ideal location.......

So, how did it work? I saw you re-arranged some sheet metal on your last trip out.

The full hydro is awsome on the trail. It works so good that even with the truck on the ground, you could turn and lift the whole front-end with the tire.

No issues at all with the hydro setup, lines or arms. Sketchy on the road a little due to a lot of body roll and sway. Never thought I would drive that truck 1100 miles in a week. We ended up sucking the front down to the bumpstops with the winch. Handled good after that.

The belt on the pump would stretch and we had to adjust it a couple of time and replace it once.

We did come close to hitting the pump with the ram when we bottomed out the front suspension. We need to change the pump and fitting for more clearance.

Last edited:
Bringin this back from the dead.

I'm really diggin this setup. Are these arms being sold? Didn't see them on the website.

With the the hi-steer arms, and a lower left side arm (for RHD), what am I looking to spend on this setup? I've already got the ABS knuckles and most all of my FH parts. Just trying to get the power to the ground. :D

Mr. Slee, how much deflection are you getting with that set up? What's youre steering degrees?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom