Dipstick Tube broke off in engine...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Texican

s-Moderator
Threads
Anyone have any tips prior to me diving into this tommorrow???
Poser or Whatley??????
Butch

Bearing puller like one you would use on a throwout bearing and a slide hammer. If you bang, drill or ream . All that s*** is going right in your oil pan.

Good luck, they can be tight! I've got it out of some blocks by knocking it out from the inside out but others have simply been impossible to get out.

I have had good luck using a broken cartridge case remover in 8mm. It has two claws that grab the tube and then you pull on the other end with a pry bar.

My second choice would be to thread a tap in it and use a nut on the tap to pull it out.

wantatlc said:
just curious.. how would this happen? during engine removal or install?

Pinhead I should have included you along with Poser and Whatley neither of which have chimed in....:rolleyes: ....

As to how it happened :confused:
One of my customers bought the truck for a song last week, and it's in for some TLC it was like that when he got it.

I'll post up here when I get it done
Butch

Fab up a 2 inch dipstick......Poser should have thought of that one:D

Butch, chances are that truck's TLC should be including a new oil pan gasket anyways. Pretty easy to push out what's left of the tube from inside the crankcase with a screwdriver or a chisel. Then there's no worries about having chips of metal falling into the pan.

On the other hand, nevermind. You didn't ask me!;p

Those guys have to turn wrenches for a living, so maybe they are busy. There is always JB weld. You could glue some all thread rod into the dipstick hole and wait 24 hr for it to harden and then put a nut and tube on the other end to turn it out. I hate dropping oil pans, but maybe I would feel better about it if I was getting paid for it.

65swb45 said:
Butch, chances are that truck's TLC should be including a new oil pan gasket anyways. Pretty easy to push out what's left of the tube from inside the crankcase with a screwdriver or a chisel. Then there's no worries about having chips of metal falling into the pan.

On the other hand, nevermind. You didn't ask me!;p

I sure don't like your reply anyway:eek: :eek:
Motor has 20 K since rebuild according to paper work in console, so no need for pan gasket,
I ended up removing dist for access, and making a tiny chisel from a pin ended punch and was able to split the tube and then it came out quite easy.....
Butch

Had to do this job today, and had just put a new pan gasket on, so I didn't want to take it off. After trying several options, I found that a 7mm Allen wrench fit just snug enough into the old one, and I was able to turn it and lift at the same time and broke it free and slowly pulled it out. Now to wait on the new one to get here and install it. Any tips on that? I'll look some more (that's what brought me here) and see what I can find.

Don’t use a door hinge pin as a drift! Learned that one the hard way!:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom