Replacing front and rear brake pads on 80 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello all;

I am looking for helpful hints on replacing the brake pads for my 1993 80 series landcruiser. Just need some basic background, and what tools are needed. I searched the forum but did not find anything on topic of installing 80 series brake pads. I am picking up the pads from Toyota and will do this this week. If interested anyone, I can post pictures of the progress. If this is really easy, you can go ahead and make fun of me too. Thanks for the help.

Mickey Rubicon
Thrashed 93 - 80 series.

It is basic...I can't think of any pitfalls to warn you about.

Maybe just be careful not to overflow the brake fluid reservoir when you push the pistons back into the calipers to make room for the thick new pads. Use a block of wood or other soft material so you don't scratch the pistons.

Use 100 series pads.:D

reply to romer

I wish that I had taken pictures. I did the pad change & bleed without the FSM, but with the help of this forum it was the easiest front pad change & bleed I have ever done! I need to get a digital camera!!!

Thanks,

Riley

I'll post this only because you promised to photo journalize.
:flipoff2:

Read this post as well. I attached pics of the FSM for front and rear pads. If you can follow step-by-step...you'll be fine.

No drinking until AFTER you're done.

100 series pads

My Toyota parts person is a tad lame. He says he doesnt know what a 100 versus an 80 series pad is. Is there some way I can better communicate this to wooden headed parts counter persons? Like part number, specific model year etc? Mine is a 93 - 80. This should conclude the quest for the pads. How much time should I allocate?

100 pads on an 80

I have read that the 100 series pads are slightly larger than 80 pads and require a smooth rotor surface. If there is a lip on your current rotors, you may need to replace them before going to 100 series pads (I plan to replace rotors during front axle service and going to 100s). You may be able to have your rotors turned, but at ~$70 a piece for the new oem rotors, I would go new.

mickey_rubicon said:
My Toyota parts person is a tad lame. He says he doesnt know what a 100 versus an 80 series pad is. Is there some way I can better communicate this to wooden headed parts counter persons? Like part number, specific model year etc? Mine is a 93 - 80. This should conclude the quest for the pads. How much time should I allocate?

Just tell them you want pads for your 1998 Land Cruiser.

04465-60220 is the current part number for 100 series pads. Do be certain you are fitting them to a perfectly flat rotor, new preferably as opposed to re-surfaced. If you are not ready for new rotors I recommend you continue to use 80 series pads until such time as you need to replace the rotors.

I picked up 80 series pabs

I picked the 80 seriespads my roders are possibly not flat. I will test them for fltness when I remove the tire. I dont have money right now for the new roders. After buyiing the pads I hav 80 dollars left till next week and a half. Just enough for taco bell and a couple of Mickeys. By the way thank you all for all of the response. This is very cool. Thank you! if any of you come through Mountain View and collect a free beeror want to go whelling from the Bay just let me know.
Hit me back at me at 4WDKing@gmail.com

Cheers.

mickey_rubicon said:

Sounds as if you already obtained them.:doh:

In the future just order them from wooden headed Cdan.:D

I got the breaks done. No problem. Ease as 1 2 3, except for trying to fit the rear pads in the front : ) But I caught my mistake pretty fast. The basic cruiser manual does a good job of walking it through. The front were more worn than the back, about the only thing worth noting.

cruiserdan said:
04465-60220 is the current part number for 100 series pads. Do be certain you are fitting them to a perfectly flat rotor, new preferably as opposed to re-surfaced. If you are not ready for new rotors I recommend you continue to use 80 series pads until such time as you need to replace the rotors.

Hey Dan, just curious why you don't recommend putting 100 series on a re-surfaced rotor? Is it not a good thing to do? I did brakes this past summer and went with 100 series pads(Mintex) on re-surfaced rotors for the front and haven't had a problem yet.

Did I miss a thread on here where people were having problems with 100 series pads w/ re-surfaced rotor?

80 series rotors seem to be more prone to warpage after they have been cut. If you have no shakes, all is well for you.

cruiserdan said:
80 series rotors seem to be more prone to warpage after they have been cut. If you have no shakes, all is well for you.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom