best Cheap mods. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok well the list is going well in the 60 section, lets get our own going,

i got a cheap mobile phone holder from the autodrone store down the road, fits phone and has a hook to hang my mp3 player off.

angle grinder disks to cut the front bumper to frame width

what else you guys got?

All my mods are cheap because I do them myself. :D Thats a hard one though.

I did the guage light mod. It's just a matter of cutting off the shields in the guage cluster for better lighting.

The L.E.D light for later style headlight switch.

Silverstar headlights. $22 bucks.

It's hard to think up cheap mods on a 40.

Maybe extended shackles for a quick lift.

Hockey pucks for a small body lift?

Define "cheap mod"...

I did my mods cheaply...
Well, inexpensivly.

Saginaw Power steering cost me about $500 when it was all said and done...
My SM420 cost me about $700 with a new old stock transmission.. (did the job twice)...

Best cheap mods

I've used the dome lights out of the geo and suzuki sidekick, Mounted one on each side of door pillars, one in the rear hardtop and will probaly mount one on the dash. Only mod was to snip two little plastic tabs off each light. Lotsa light for a small price. Junk yard, 4-5 Dollars each.......

Seats for me. They were BMW heated leather, paid 150 for both. They were the best inexpensive mod I did.

I made a small shelf for the dash by making two opposit 90° bends in a piece of sheet aluminum. The rear extends behind the dash to secure it, the front was just tall enough to hold a small portable radio. You could make the flat part any width and use double sided tape to hold a shallow box.
It's nice to have a place where stuff is handy without it shooting out the window on corners.

On my old Cruiser the PO had added a motorcycle throttle to the column shifter. Very handy.

cupholder zip-tied to the dash.

I would say the two penny fix for the drag link, but now you can get the rebuild kits....

Sheet of rubber that replace both the old fenders (wings) when the new body armour went on $ 60 US
Body armour all in one front wings into sliders and side steps $300 US

Save a fortune in damage :cool:

Having a mate called Dave :D

i put a piece of cardboard (free) in between my grill and my radiator to keep too much flow from happening during the winter. I know it ain't much of a mod, but it means she runs in the cold wheras she didn't like to before, so that's good enough for me.

Seat bracket extension kit from Classic Cruisers - $35

Extra leg room in minutes without scrounging/fabbing parts - Priceless

$3.00 Lighted toggle switch to fix my back-up light fuse blowing episode. The tranny mounted switch was shorted internally. A new switch was $80.00. Radio shack switch was $3.00. I just have to remember to shut it off after I have backed up
switch.jpg

Socket cut in half and w/ 2 pieces welded sided by side (like an infinity sign) to fit under valvetrain. Then you can actually torque the headbolt in the middle of the head.

Stole this idea from local cruiserheads, but a $3 light from Tractor Supply mounted in rear above ambi doors to light interior.

The well known bike lever for manual throttle idea - works as poor man's cruise control on long trips - just remember to pop it off when slowing.

The cheapest mod besides the instrument cluster/mod one would be installing a used ground strap from the starter to the chassis. Another one would the installing L.E.D.S under the dasboard and the heater k-nobs. It's super bright now.

I want to add:
another mod, a cup holder....actually holds two cups...velcroed the back side so I can remove if need be.

And took an 82 fj60 ebrake handle assy from a U-pull it auto salvage place and installed it in my 40....surper nice.

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 said:
$3.00 Lighted toggle switch to fix my back-up light fuse blowing episode. I just have to remember to shut it off after I have backed up
Just wire it to an ACC fuse.

Relative to gain of additional function, I would have to say the hand throttle was the cheapest modification.

All the new insulation and carpet was super cheap (under $50 bucks) and really does help in cutting the noise down, except if you count the time it took me to install it and calculate that into the cost :doh:

El Cheapo modification with bling factor: put shiny chrome washers under the plastic flip switches :flipoff2:

I also got a cup/can holders that velcroe onto the roll cage for about some $15.00/pair, although stuff can still spill out if the cup/can is real full.......

Last edited:
$10 ignition switch

my ignition broke/jammed while at the beach. I was about to look into a a new toyota switch when i across the street and there was a boat shop. Got a new switch for $10, fit just right too.

before that a screw driver and hot wiring worked well and was free.

On another note what security steps you take to protect from this cuz i had no clue and hotwired it in about 5 min.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom