Post your CO2 Tank Mounting Ideas - For FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
There are quite a few CO2 tank mounting ideas scattered across many threads. I plan on adding this thread to the FAQ.

Please describe what you did, parts required, estimated cost, steps and pictures. Also, what you would do different if anything.

I know B did a setup welding a plate and bracket to the rear seat bracket. Slee also sells an upright bracket that mounts to the ceiling and floor. Would appreciate write-ups on these two approaches at a minimum.

Thanks

Romer,

I'm thinking to put it on the my Inti roof rack. I have a 10 lbs C02 tank. That came with a mounting bracket. My idea is pretty simple. Just attach the mounting bracket to the roof rack.

The down side that I see to this is that I would need some kind of bag to protect the valve. I don't want it getting dirty up there. Any ideas?

Regards

Alvaro

You might try a welding shop for a cap or bag. I would take the regulator off if it is going to be outside

Angle mount and in the rear corner of the cargo area. Check out my ROTW.

SAm

I don't run a roof rack all the time, so I mounted mine on the rear bumper's ladder. Bought a couple of clamp mounts of the type used to mount accessories to roll cages, and drilled four new holes on the mount. Works well, it's hard to see in the picture but there's still enough space to use the ladder. I have a neoprene cover with a velcro cinch that covers the valve, works great so far.
last known shot.jpg

Seems like the perfect place, out of the cargo area which is usually taken up and off theroof rack. The ladder is usually only used for loading the rack, so seems like the perfect spot and you can still get around it. Great rig.
Teresa

here is mine on top of rack....
m92l2t.jpg

m935z4.jpg

cc93cruiser,
pm'ed you.

:cheers:

Romer,

See page 4 of this thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=63375&highlight=co2

It shows both Beo's platform and what I did. My pics include the bracket by itself and with the CO2 tank installed.

If you'd like something separate for your FAQ, let me know and I'll write something up to post.

Here's mine- tucked next the the fridge slide
P1010003.jpg
P1010001.jpg

I don't want to be a sky is falling kind of guy but given that CO2 displaces breathing air, it is a significant hazard to have inside your rig. Options for leakage around the valve and regulator are many and possibly undetectable if slow enough.

I can imagine a scenario of sleeping in the truck and not waking up or simply getting groggy from lack of oxygen and then crashing.

With your life being the wager, do yourself a favor and mount outside.

Sorry to be such a downer.

Bump.

If it pops when you are awake you will know it and it has a destinctive odor. If you are worried about taking it to bed with you, set it outside the truck at night.

bumperdoggy said:
I don't want to be a sky is falling kind of guy but given that CO2 displaces breathing air, it is a significant hazard to have inside your rig. Options for leakage around the valve and regulator are many and possibly undetectable if slow enough.

I can imagine a scenario of sleeping in the truck and not waking up or simply getting groggy from lack of oxygen and then crashing.

With your life being the wager, do yourself a favor and mount outside.

Sorry to be such a downer.

Bump.
Where I go and refill up my tank, they won't let me take it home if I put it inside my cruiser for the same reasons mentioned above. That's why I actually came up with the idea of putting it on my roof rack + I have a 2 year old with me that travels everywhere I go ;) . Wouldn't want to put my little bugger in any danger..

I leave mine in the truck and have since 11.05. I'm still alive.

cruiserdan said:
If it pops when you are awake you will know it and it has a destinctive odor.

If it pops the safety valve when you are asleep you will quickly be awake. It makes a LOT of noise and the cargo area gets quite nippy.

Technically, CO2 is odorless but you will notice an extremely pungent "smell." It's hard to describe but you get kind of a burning in your nose. I had an accidentally overfilled tank (~14.7#) pop in the 80s cargo are when the truck was in my garage.

Robert,
I believe your fill place doesn't want you carrying the filled tank in the vehicle due to the effects of the heat. They don't want to have it blow the safety valve, then they have to replace the valve, and have to refill the tank.

-B-

Last edited:
Why is a CO2 tank necessary at all? I have a CO2 tank (I use it for top pressure on casks of real ale) but in my truck I have an electric compressor that is light and small and fits with the inverter under the hood. My Jeep friends all have compressors attached to their engines that work good too. Is there an advantage to CO2 I am missing?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom