Rear Disk Brake issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
For those who have Disk Brakes,

These are 76 Monte Carlo Disk Brake Pads to go with my 76 Calipers
My junkyard didnt have any 78's ;)

My Guess is that the 76's are not right and i need to go get some 78 Calipers Due to the Fact that the inner Metal Tab is rubbung the inner caliper, and the Pad is not even flush with the Rotor on the outer edge.. Just want to verify this before i go and make a trip and get new calipers..

here are some crappy Cell Phone images to help aid in your decision

Last edited:
Rotor part number?

Where did you get them?

Rotor's are the 1990 GM 1500 Pickup Reg Cab.. 1" Thick

Part #Raymold 65230
5977 is another # on the box.. the rotors seem right

Im think Gm musta changed them from 76-78 - Everything elce lines up pretty close but this dont!

Last edited:
could be it...

what is the pad #?

heres some info from the net can't find the link

18-4072 A-1 & 18-4071 A-1, REMAN CALIPERS.. These are GM small 2.5" bore calipers from a 78-81 Chevy Monte Carlo or Malibu.
2 brake hoses Raybestos BH38149 Flex line with metric on one end and SAE on the other!
2 rotors D17349/447 M/STOP BRAKE R. Front Rotors for 90-ish, Chevy, 1/2-ton, 4wd, 6-lug PU. Best price I have seen on these rotors is from a Car Quest parts store, $26, part # P5568. But Kragen brags they will beat any price by 5%, so you might try that route? Warning!! Don't get the stamped rotors or rotors for the extended cab pickup. You need the machined or cast rotors. The rotors you get should be no more than 1.1/8" thick. The extended cab rotors are 1.5" thick and WILL NOT WORK.

WRONG CALIPERS!!!
the 76 MC is the old school big body, they down sized them in 78 along with the calipers.......
If you can't find them geet a pair off an S10 PU
Butch

also if anybody wants it here is tsm 's list
tsm (Medium).jpg

Thanks, i figured that i needed the newer ones..

just for reference: these are close, and could work with a decent amount of grinding, but i dont want to have to grind every time i get new pads..

Trevor

added to the faq...thanks isotel! :beer:

Some more info for ya.. The 77 and Earlier Monte's are the Larger Calipers and have 7" from pin to pin.. where the 78 and up are the 5 1/2 or so..

So Typical Disk Brake Brackets would not work for these!

Some more info for ya.. The 77 and Earlier Monte's are the Larger Calipers and have 7" from pin to pin.. where the 78 and up are the 5 1/2"ish..

So Typical Disk Brake Brackets would not work for these!..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom