Dual Batts on FJ80, ANYONE?????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FloridaFJ80

Roaming Land Cruiser Heaven
Threads
Website
www.landcruiserheaven.com
Ok before anyone says anything, I just spent the last hour reading through the search and didnt find any dual battery setups on a 91-92 80. Mostly everyone just uses the stock battery tray. I really want to have a dual battery system in my engine bay without having to add another battery inside the cabin.

I wanted to find out if anyone knows of anyone that has a setup for an FJ80. Or would have any ideas or tips on how to do a setup and what would be the best mounting points for a dual battery system. I

Is this possible without having to fabricate anything extraordinary. On my 80 there are a couple of places where you could mount some sort of battery. on the driver side close to the firewall is an empty space and also on the drivers side, by removing the cruise control module. Dont know if you could really mount the batteries there just wonderig on uses for the empty space.

also what would be the best kit available for this setup. hellroaring, etc????

On my 97 I added the batt box for the 92 to the passenger side. I would guess on your 92 you could do the reverse and put a 95-97 stock batt box on the drivers side. C-Dan is the man and can set you up with all the parts for the box install. As for the controller that will be personal preferance of what hyped up system you will buy. I used two constant duty high amp relays and a small exciter relay for control options.

why not the reverse of the FZJ-80 setup? what is located at the foreward end of hte engine bay on the drivers side? can it be deleted/moved? nothing beats the stock battery trays.

if the layout of the FJ-80 is similar to a FJ-62 then deleting the Air injection system should provide the necisary clearance.

Its almost lunch time.. when i go on break i will look at my engine bay and ponder some more. in the mean time here are some pics of another FJ80 i found on ebay..I thougth about doing the reverse install. Hopefully these pics give you a better idea of what i see....

46_3.JPG

d5_3.JPG

0d_3.JPG

FloridaFJ80 said:
Hopefully these pics give you a better idea of what i see

not really shows everything except for the front drivers side of the engine bay where the battery tray woudl bolt in.

Florida,
I have a 91 and have spent way to much time looking at the engine bay trying to figure out a way to mount a battery in the engine compartment. You are on the right track. A small battery, an optima maybe, would fit beside the master cylinder but you would have to fab a holder for it. On mine there are even places for bolts on top of the inner fender well. The other option would be to move the air injection system beside the master cylinder and use a battery box from an FZJ80. I think the second option would look more factory but I don't know how hard it would be to move the air injection system. If not done properly it might throw an EGR or some other code. I have contemplated totally removing the fan and black tube (see last pic. on the right hand side in your post) that blows air on the exhaust. I'm not really sure how much good that fan does anyway. Plus I have never seen mine actually working. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the function of that fan.
If you come up with something do a write up on it, because as you said there is not much information on this subject using the search function.
Raven makes a good point about using the 62 as a model. A search in the 62 section might shed some more light on the subject. I haven't thought of that before.

Good Luck

Check out Hltoppr's ROTW for an FJ80 with dual batts. Not in the engine bay, but serves the purpose...

Link to Hltoppr's ROTW

Ok guys, i went out there and pondered and i think i may have figured out a place to mount the second battery. I dont know how big the battery would have to be, the pics above dont really show much but i will take better pics tonite or tommorow. looking at my rig, i dont know how easy it would be to relocate the Fuse box and the windshield washer reservoir, but it looks doable.

The reservoir in its stock place has a part that goes into the fender wall, and has three mounts to it, one on one side and two on the other. in the corner near the master cylinder is a large size hole the could maybe fit the reservoir part that goes into the fender, dont know if it will fit until i try it. sounds like a weekend project. There are also the same mounts on the hole as there are in the stock mounting position for the reservoir. dont know if they line up perfectly.

In front of the reservoir is the fuse panel, the only way that this relocation could work is if the wiring that goes into the fuse box is long enought to move in front or beside the new mounting place of the washer reservoir. I am hoping it does give me some play and capabilities to relocate. by relocaing those two items, i think would give me enough room to fit a new battery. the only thing that i see is either fabricating a new battery tray,which i dont know how i could, or finding some existing trays out there that i can maybe custom fit.

I am open to suggestions and advice, it just sucks that all you 93-97 guys can do the dual battery setup and i am surprised no one as thought of a way, at least that i know off, to do a dual battery engine bay setup in a 91-92 80.

Hltoppr's ride is awesome.. His rig is what i want mine to become. But i really would like to see a dual battery setup under the hood. it just give me more room in the rear and less wiring and stuff to worry about if its all under the hood.

I mounted a extra battery under the driver front seat Frame area on a 96 there is lots of room up there. I was looking at the 2 smaller hawker in stock location but was conserned with them being so small. Went with a stock group size agm and a exide orbital in the frame area.

you mounted it under the actual truck??? How is that go when it rains and stuff like that? have any pics????

lowtops said:
If not done properly it might throw an EGR or some other code.

A number of people have disabled AI on the 3F-E with no ill affects. But I don't believe it's the AI assembly that's preventing a 93+ battery tray in there, it's the cooling fan right?

I have contemplated totally removing the fan and black tube (see last pic. on the right hand side in your post) that blows air on the exhaust. I'm not really sure how much good that fan does anyway. Plus I have never seen mine actually working. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the function of that fan.

As in previous years of LCs, the 3F-E has the exhaust and intake on the same side (unlike the 1FZ). My understanding is that the ``Carb Cooling Fan'' helps dissapate latent heat away from the intake components and assemblies and make for easier subsequent starting.

It has a temp sensor and timer that closes when hot to keep the fan running. You may want to give the motor 12v and see if it's the motor that isn't working or the sensor/timer.

3FJ40,
Thanks for the info. on the "carb cooling fan". It makes sense that if the intake and exhaust are on the same side that there would be a need for cooling. I have been meaning to test that fan out, I just haven't done it yet.
As far as the AI system goes, part of it is actually on top of the cooling fan, so it would need to be moved for battery relocation.

Florida,
You mentioned moving the fuse box and putting a battery there. I would also be concerned about hood interference if you plan on putting a battery on top of the inner wheel well. I guess it would depend on the group size of the battery you were going to install.

I just received a second battery tray for the drivers side of my 1991 fj80 from a friend but it looks like the AI will have to be removed, and I dont really no how to go about that.

Yes i tried to post but it said the pic was to large
I will try again.
The battery is fine submerged rain is no issue.

OBA and Dual Battery

Try this link
http://home.comcast.net/~jon.held/

I know it's not for a dual battery setup but Jon Held took out the smog pump and plugged the ports to get a York air compressor where the smog pump is.
As a result of having OBA that area is clear to put an FZJ80 battery tray in the location, if you take out the exhaust fan.

I'm actually going to put a York in the engine bay as soon as it gets warmer. This will free up that area for a dual battery for me also.

Here's my question to Jon about the system:

1. What ports did you block to disable the smog system?

"None. I removed the air pump and the hose that feeds the flying saucer air
valve. I used the intake hose that comes from the air filter housing to feed
the York."

Maybe this will help, maybe not.

Okay, I'm familiar with the 3F-E but not in an 80. The only thing the AI system needs is the diverter valve, pump, and AI rail, the rest are AI output mufflers and clean air lines to the pump. Nothing necessary (that I can think of) on the 3F-E should sit up there. I need to go read the FSM...

Florida,

1) John Holmaas, who goes by Landpimp around here, put one in the cruise control actuator spot as theorized in your first post. He's a great guy; PM him and I'll bet he can shoot you some pic's.

2) I've seen pic's of second batteries under the vehicle, like cpg says he's done. I have no idea how common, reliable, or safe this is, but it is an idea. For you the spot would be below the front passenger seat, since our exhaust is on the DS. I went and looked this afternoon; there is indeed a lot of room under there.

Good luck,

Curtis
91FJ80

Im in the middle of puting a second battery in my 91. I took the fan out and the silencer out. Trying to figure out how to adapt the fan to suck cool air out of the hole between the washer bottle and the firewall. I cut the bracket that holds the smog pump valve right at the factory weld.that left the air injection, EGR, and pressure regulator valves on what's left of the OEM bracket mounted to the original location.

I got a battery box from like a 96 stuffed in there right now. I only had to trim a bit from where it meets the radiator and a little where the washer bottle mounts to the inner fender. I started to take the washer bottle out but soon discovered it protrudes into the inner fender to a soft washer fluid bladder. It will need to be unbolted and slid a little out of the way to get the box in and put it back in position before bolting the box in tight.

I extended the hoses leading to the smog pump with a piece of 3/4" Inside Diameter copper tubing. Was going to build a bracket to hold it to the inner fender with 3 unused captive nuts but I'm now thiking about bolting it to the front part of the intake. There are 2 bolts there. 1 is used to hold a metal strap that holds a cble in place. The other bolt just seams to be stuck in there for no reason. A sturdy piece of flat steel ~1/8 or 1/4" thick with 4 holes drilled would work. Then a 90* section of the OEM hose will hook ritght up to the tube going to the engine and a piece of flex hose going to the pump. Th eproblem I ran into is the smog pump hose is not a common size. Looks like 7/8 ID. I can only locate 3/4 and 1" locally. Might be able to get some pieces from a junk yard and cut/splice the bends together to make it match up.

I'll get pictures tomarrow. I only have a camera phone and it's dark out.
Smog pump bracket.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom