Need caster correction! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, the 3* caster bushings cannot work with slee's control arms. My caster is sitting at 0* and -.4*. With no winch and 20mm of trim packers Im SOL. The steering wheel yanks side to side when braking between 50-35mph. it sucks and feels scary when Im riding alone with no weight. SO...Im goin to slee right now to either a) pull out the packers, B) see if the caster plates will fit with the arms, or c) buy a F*&#ing winch to bring it down a little from the 7.5-8.0" it is probably at right now. Maybe the sliders will help???

I'll let you know what happens:)

Last edited:
i think you are heading in the right direction. To slee's that is.

Why won't the caster bushings work with the Slee arms? If the 3 degree bushings are the same size as OEM they should press right in. Am I missing something?

Darwood said:
Why won't the caster bushings work with the Slee arms? If the 3 degree bushings are the same size as OEM they should press right in. Am I missing something?

With his plate alone the tierod contacts the arms, adding more rotation with the bushings will make it impossible to install the arms without grinding the hell out of the arms.

landtank said:
With his plate alone the tierod contacts the arms, adding more rotation with the bushings will make it impossible to install the arms without grinding the hell out of the arms.

His sig and question states that he has the Slee control arms and no caster plates so I don't think the tie rod rubbing is his issue. He also mentions wanting to add the caster plates which would adjust his caster more than the bushings. This is why I'm not sure what's going on.

Rick, yes, the CC bushings should work in the slee arms from talking to Christo.

I'm confused by looking in his sig line he has a "cv" front shaft and a "dc" rear shaft? Isn't a CV or constant velocity the same as a DC or double cardan?

OK, I think I have it. He has Slee's front control arms AND the bushings and still doesn't have enough caster correction. Now if his numbers are correct the plates aren't going to do it either as he needs something on the order of 7*.

But at that height small changes in lift really affect your caster so maybe a nice big winch with steal cable will do the job.

there must be something weirdly wrong with a 0 and -4...
bushings in the wrong way maybe?

but couldn't that weird caster difference explain the weird handling?

landtank said:
OK, I think I have it. He has Slee's front control arms AND the bushings and still doesn't have enough caster correction. Now if his numbers are correct the plates aren't going to do it either as he needs something on the order of 7*.

But at that height small changes in lift really affect your caster so maybe a nice big winch with steal cable will do the job.

:D :D

I agree the 1° per 1" doctrine seems to increase somewhat exponentially, once past 4 or so inches (At least as percieved by the driver). But, at a base Slee's arms are about perfect at 5" correct? So he is like 1°(+) off at a standard Slee spring 6" height. If we assume he has 5° with the arms and the bushings can provide 3°-he should be about where he should be +/- 1°. But 1°, I can't image, would give you the steering "willies" too badly-or as eluded.

This of course assuming you are correct in saying he must have the bushings with the arms.

There is still something wacky in the 0° and -4°...

my fault guys. 0* and -.4* was what I meant. I had the packers pulled out and found that the tie rod ends were, what we think, giving me the prob. And I cant get the cc bushings in because there is no clearance between the tie rod and the control arms. Christo said he had tried the cc bushings in his arms but was only able to do about 1* correction because of the clearance.

Just for comparison, I have basically 4" of lift on my truck and I needed 7* of correction to get the caster to be within the exceptable range.

That's almost 2* per inch if it was linear which it's not.

The problem with the bushings and our arms are that the PS cutout on the arm will hit the axle housing (between the two bushings). Size wise they will fit, but you can not install them at full correction.

Also, Jason's truck has the 6" spring with only an ARB bumper, no winch and he also had two 10mm packers installed.

sleeoffroad said:
The problem with the bushings and our arms are that the PS cutout on the arm will hit the axle housing (between the two bushings). Size wise they will fit, but you can not install them at full correction.

Also, Jason's truck has the 6" spring with only an ARB bumper, no winch and he also had two 10mm packers installed.

Thanks for clarifying that Christo. That makes sense now. So can you add any caster correction bushings to your arms (i.e. 1 degree), or does the interference exclude any kind of caster correction bushing?

I dont think the housing can pivot because the arms are very close to it to provide more ground clearance.

Steve Lairds truck now has 6" springs, 1/2 spacers, and Christos arms. I didn't do a before and after caster check but the truck drives perfect with no other caster correction. It sits over 7" above stock with an ARB non winch bumper. No bump steer, no death wobble, no vibrations.

Waggoner5 said:
Steve Lairds truck now has 6" springs, 1/2 spacers, and Christos arms. I didn't do a before and after caster check but the truck drives perfect with no other caster correction. It sits over 7" above stock with an ARB non winch bumper. No bump steer, no death wobble, no vibrations.

How does this help Jason?

Christo helped me find the death wobble was coming from play in one of the tie rod ends. my truck wanders less now that the 20mm of packers are out. Im sure once I get all four rod ends replaced the shimmy will be gone.

Jason Andrews said:
Christo helped me find the death wobble was coming from play in one of the tie rod ends.

While this might help you better manage the wandering and such it doesn't address the underlying problem which is that your caster is way out of wack. You might seriously look into the drop brackets that MAF is now offering to work with those arms to get everything back in alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom