polyethylene gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any experiences using these poly tanks?

Thanks

I keep hearing that they go soft when it's hot and tend to collapse because of fuel pump suction.
I've seen vendor claims that they are now 'new and improved' and don't suck anymore, but I don't trust most vendor claims.

I had one, they suck. The top center caved in, never could more then 7 or 8 gallons in it without it leaking out the sending unit. Ain't seen a newer one and don't care to.

Do a search, this as been covered fairly well

Update on my new improved one. It sucks also. Don't buy it. Get an original one they are only like 200 bucks. Well worth the money especially in the winter. Unless you like huffing gas fumes. I sealed evrey known area twice with a gas resistant sealer and it still smells. I plan on buying a steel one and throwing this peice of crap away. I wouldn't even sell or give it to someone cause it's suck a piece of @&@&@&@&. If you don't have a top on your cruiser and you only like having 10 gallons in the tank at one time this is the tank for you.

Hi All:

I wouldn't say they "suck," just that they are a poor second best when compared to a OE replacement (steel) tank.

Do a search of the archives here at MUD and of the LCML over at www.birfield.com and you'll find lots of opinions on the poly tanks, including my own experiences.

Short answer: I have had a poly replacement tank in my FJ40 since 1998, and still wish I had simply ponied-up the extra $50 and bought the steel OE tank!

Good luck!

Alan
Seattle

Alan-

Any gas tank that leaks, SUCKS period. ;)

Get a new, OEM tank, and be done with it.

This is not what I wan't to hear. I just received mine from Downey last week.
I guess I will find out after installation. Where are you finding original tanks for $50.00 more . Are these tanks under the passanger seat or under rear of vehicle.

Poser said:
Alan-

Any gas tank that leaks, SUCKS period. ;)

Get a new, OEM tank, and be done with it.

ROGER THAT!

Thanks for the input guys, I almost thought an aft mrkt would be just as good as OEM.

Got to jump on the bandwagon here. Poly tanks suck. I just finished sealing all of my connections for the second time, still have gas fumes. I'll be getting an OEM steel tank as soon as my tax return comes in.

MandMAutomotive said:
This is not what I wan't to hear. I just received mine from Downey last week.
I guess I will find out after installation. Where are you finding original tanks for $50.00 more . Are these tanks under the passanger seat or under rear of vehicle.

I'm not sure of the dollar amount of difference because I haven't paid attention to the price of any poly tank. But I bought a new underseat tank from CruiserDan, a user here, for less than $200. It was $213. delivered. I'm sure that Dan can also get the under floor tanks as easily as any - he's a Toyota dealership parts guy.

I've got a poly tank that came from summit. The first one leaked but it might have been b/c I messed with the fittings. They replaced it free and the new one has had no problems. Doesnt leak, hasn't caved in, etc etc. Mine is mounted in the bed of my 55 and its just a trail rig so its not really the same thing as under the pass. seat. But I will give fair support for them, I'm sure a steel oem would be better though.

clemson55 said:
I've got a poly tank that came from summit. The first one leaked but it might have been b/c I messed with the fittings. They replaced it free and the new one has had no problems. Doesnt leak, hasn't caved in, etc etc. Mine is mounted in the bed of my 55 and its just a trail rig so its not really the same thing as under the pass. seat. But I will give fair support for them, I'm sure a steel oem would be better though.

This is a fuel cell, NOT a "replacement" type tank that is designed to fit in the stock location in a pre-79 40 series.......correct?

Apples and Oranges.

:beer:

Yes true, still a gas tank made of plyethylene so some level of comparison can be drawn. Just throwing it out there for him.

My poly tank was already in the cruiser when I bought it almost 4 years ago, and I've never noticed any gas fumes coming from the tank. It may not be the original steel tank, but it has worked flawlessly for me so far.

i've had one from "texas" for a few years now. with a top on i notice a little gas odor in the morning, yet i never notice it any other time.

i have all the extra ports blocked off, with the weber i only need a supply line to the pump.
i've never noticed it leaking gas, and i fill the tank three to four times a week.
as far as it being a gas tank, it works, unlike the sieve of a tank it replaced.

when funds permit, i would like to replace it with an oem...because everybody knows steel is real.

I've had mine for three years now and have run it in everything from -8F to 110F and haven't had a problem.

I've had one from CCOT for about 3 years now.

Only noticed a gas smell when I ran a hardtop, about 2 years ago. Even with the softop, no smell.

Has not given me any other issues...

Had I known then what I do now, I would have bought a new OEM tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom