Durabak-ed my 80 this weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MaddBaggins

Remember the KnightRider!
Threads
I had been wanting to do it and after seeing concrete's thread I went for it. I scratch the hell outta my rig and don't care to buff it. I've got a lot of small chips in the paint on the lower end also so...
I bought 2 gals of black textured. 1gal non-UV and 1gal UV resist
The first 2 layers are with the less expensive non-UV then a heavy final coat of the UV resistant.
First I laid down electrical tape to get the contours and the basic outline. Then 2 layers of masking tape on top of the elec tape.
I removed the front grill and turn signals/marker lights, and the front and rear bumpers. Buffed the whole thing up with 80grit cloth, wiped it down with xylene and applied the goo.
GeoRoss came over to help, thanks a bunch Ross!! You get first dibs on my leftover Durabak. I have enough leftover to do about what I did again. I bought 2gals because I didn't want to come up short and have it 1/2 ass done.

some pics with more to follow
DSC00929.jpg
DSC00930.jpg
DSC00932.jpg

Couple of shots before I buttoned it all up
DSC00939.jpg
DSC00941.jpg
DSC00944.jpg

Looks great! How long did it take you from beginning to end for prep and everything? I am thinking about doing something similar to this sometime.

And the final results
DSC00947.jpg
DSC00950.jpg
DSC00951.jpg

I'd call it a 2-day project. I spent about 3 hours applying tape and making sure I had the contours right. Then a couple more hours removing stuff and some more tape. A good hour with Ross and I sanding it down. Took about 1/2 hour to apply each coat, but you have to wait at least an hour between coats. Then I peeled tape after dark, woke up this morning and did some touch up, finished peeling the last layer of tape and cleaned up the edges with a razor and a little xylene.

MaddBaggins said:
I'd call it a 2-day project. I spent about 3 hours applying tape and making sure I had the contours right. Then a couple more hours removing stuff and some more tape. A good hour with Ross and I sanding it down. Took about 1/2 hour to apply each coat, but you have to wait at least an hour between coats. Then I peeled tape after dark, woke up this morning and did some touch up, finished peeling the last layer of tape and cleaned up the edges with a razor and a little xylene.

Thanks for the info and it looks like a job well done

slick621 said:
Thanks for the info and it looks like a job well done

Your welcome, and thanks.

Now, if I can just get my wife to let me do the urban camo paint job on the rest of it...

Interesting approach. I'm not sure i'm a fan of the rear door being covered, but the rest looks pretty darn good. What do you think about the product? I thought after 2 or 3 coats it was nice and thick, just like linex.

concretejungle said:
Interesting approach. I'm not sure i'm a fan of the rear door being covered, but the rest looks pretty darn good. What do you think about the product? I thought after 2 or 3 coats it was nice and thick, just like linex.

I like the stuff, pretty easy to work with and clean off mistakes. It is thinner than I imagined and the first coat showed a lot of the paint thru. Even after the second coat I could still see some paint in places, but the third coat did it.
At first I hadn't thought of doing the tailgate, but Ross mentioned it and I thought for a couple of minutes and realized it would complete the circle around the rig. I already went around the front, so going around the back just fit. It looks awesome, I'm very happy with the product and how it turned out. Now we just have to see how long it will last, I'm wheeling tomorrow-first test.

nice job!
why 'd you do the hood?

Hey e9999 he also did the tailgate. Notice that?

Bag -

looks great -

I will be over in the morning and we can start on mine right?

What if you don't have the UV stuff for it. I picked up some herculiner from a friend for cheap but it doesn't have any UV protectant stuff to mix it with.

-Nick

Herculiener is just that - cheap. Durabak is a better product, just in my experience with both.

Looks great, I love the smooth lines and the way the contours of the Durabak fit the body lines of the 80. Great job.

don't let that truck see AvoVum or they'll want to make babies together ... (not a bad thing, but could be painful to watch...) :D

I dig the tailgate and the wrap around the front. A nice twist on what others have done-

Looks good, I just did mine this weekend as well. Only did the fender flare sections though. Used a product call 3M Body Schumut went on pretty good with a spray gun. Except for a few of the wholes not covering up perfectly I'm prety happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom