Red vs Green Coolant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FinallyGotOne!

SILVER Star
Threads
What's the difference? Seems like most posts infer the red is better, but in the end, what is the difference?

I have red in my LX and I am working through my 60K service. Last coolant change, according to records, appears to have been done at 30K.

Do I still need to flush coolant every two years/30K miles if I am using red? and If so, why spend the extra money for red - which I am guessing is "extended life" fluid?

Thanks!

I would do a flush and use either the Toyota Red or you can use the Zerex extended life 5/150, it is Toyota recommended and meets all of the Toyota requirements. It is like the pink stuff they are using in the 2004+ models. I would still flush and refill every 2 years and or 30K miles. The main thing is low silcate content and chemicals that protects the aluminum seals and other metals avoiding any corrision. Hope that helps.

Some other info

Had mine serviced the other day by toyota and the mechanic (I don't have a lot of confidence in him) said mine has the PINK Super Long Life Coolant in it and doesn't need changing for 100,000 miles (160000kms). (Then he proceded to top it up with water, probably from the tap). I am going to change it anyway but I read the TSB on the coolants PG10-02 (Feb 02) and it states

A new pink colored LLC (Long Life Coolant I expect) is being phased into production for all 2002 Japan Built Toyota models. The color change does not affect the maintenance procedures or intervals established for the red coolant. The new pink coolant is 100% compatible with the current red coolant and red coolant can be used to replace, top off, or mix in with the pink coolant with no adverse effects.

Thanks for the advice.

Note that the TSB lists three different coolants. Ethylene-Glycol (Part # Plain ol'), Toyota Super Long Life (Part # 00272-1LLAC) and Toyota Super Long Life (Part # 00272-SLLC2)

Which TSB is that, any chance of emailing it to me, I'd like to find out more about the differences of the two Super long life coolants

Sorry - I mispsoke. I meant the TIS, not TSB. Send me a PM with your email address and I will scan this sheet and send it to you.

SWUtah said:
I would do a flush and use either the Toyota Red or you can use the Zerex extended life 5/150, it is Toyota recommended and meets all of the Toyota requirements. It is like the pink stuff they are using in the 2004+ models. I would still flush and refill every 2 years and or 30K miles. The main thing is low silcate content and chemicals that protects the aluminum seals and other metals avoiding any corrision. Hope that helps.

Yep. On my old mini, in which the PO used prestone green for 14 yrs, when changing from green to red, I discovered the block drain hole was clogged w/ silt. I inserted a coat hanger into there and a gush of coolant poured out once I ruptured the clog. Upon further examination of the silt, it appeared to be decayed aluminum (like what happens to aluminum in a marine environment...it crumbles to a coarse dust). It seems to me it's the aluminum from the coolant lines in the head. I changed to Toyota red and have been using that for the last 60K mi. Upon removing the block drain bolt back in march, there was no silt at all. The radiator (replaced 60K mi ago when the coolant was changed from green to red) also shows no sign of internal residue. IMHO, $35 for 2 gal of red is a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom