Seal for disc conversion on early (ball and claw) axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
Another lister poted the Federal Mogul number 724956085880 but it doesn't show up on their database and when I search for a seal to fit a 33mm shaft and a 40mm bore I get NOTHING! The inner axle seal surface diameter is 33mm and the bushing OD on the old axle is 40mm. Am I missing something? Is this a special seal of some kind?

I can find a Chicago Rawhide seal for a 32mm axle and 40mm bore but then I need to turn down my axle to suit and I'm not sure there is enough room for the splines of the axle to fit through the smaller seal without damage.

I know others must have done this conversion. What seal did you use? Or did you machine the old housing to take a larger seal?

This is the spec's on the Chicago Rawhide seal for 32mm shafts and 40mm bore:

Stock Number

Description
LDS & SMALL BORE SEAL

Lip Code
Nitrile (Lip Code: R)

Type/Style
HMS4

Am I in uncharted waters? Has no one done this? I will likely simply machine the axle (not the shafts) to take stock seals if there is no other ideas.

Been done several times that I know of, but the only part number I have seen pop up is the one you list above (originally posted by Ige). Mixmaster also did this here in town, but he just went to a bearing/seal supply house and handed them the measurments, they were able to find a seal that works.. I can hardly imaging there isn't one out there?

I've gone to the websites of several seal suppliers and NOTHING matches a 33mm shaft and a 40mm bore. The number above when plugged into the Federal Mogul on-line catalog comes up with nothing either!
I'm assuming that folks are putting the seal in the bore that the bushing was in. Is there such a thing as a "stepped seal" or some oddball looking seal?
I've got the guys here looking into machining a place for the seal to sit and using the standard birf seal (they machine stuff relatively cheaply here).

Axle is out getting the ends machined to take the standard seal for birfs. Q165 ($22) each end. Cheaper than a custom seal and hopefully more secure.

Search for SKF 12672.
Available on Ebay as of this posting.
It replaced the Chicago Rawhide part.

Full transparency, I have not tried to use this seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom