1 cookie pan + 1 air pump - 1 old heater = on board air! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
here is the outcome of my on board air mod.

remove old heater from 1974 FJ40. take 1 old cookie sheet of aluminum and fabricated into a bracket for the pump. 1 MF-1050 pump from Pep boys (got great ratings from other websites on pump speed, quality, construction, value). I matched the cookie pan bracket I made up to the bolt pattern of the pump bracket I made to the heater bolt pattern. mounted pump to bracket. bolted into place where heater was. I used the cookie pan edges as further reinforcment for the bracket to take the weight and allow the pump to purchase down onto them.

now, it is within reach of the battery. on board air for under $65.00.
pump1.jpg
pump2.jpg
pump3.jpg

same compressor i got, works well. i mounted mine inside under the glove box, where the heater tube used to be. looks good man

another tidbit of info..

They were selling those compressors at Checker Auto for $24.00

;)

They rock compared to a quickair..

Mace said:
another tidbit of info..

They were selling those compressors at Checker Auto for $24.00

;)

They rock compared to a quickair..

yeah, I know about that price. BUT, they are discontinued by them I was told. I tried all over the place at all of their various stores and web and it is not sold anymore.

if I should find it, Pep boys has a "pay the difference + 5%" proce match", so I cannot really loose.

btw, that pump you mention was the Q Industries MV50

Last edited:
John Smith said:
That pump will produce enough heat of its own without your hot engine compartment overheating it. I would move it out of the engine compartment. It may work fine but I bet it will trip any heat safety much quicker under the hot hood.

Yeah, I though of that. So, not only is it removable with 4 screws if I need to take it out and set it on the ground or something, BUT I do not really intend to run it with the engine running, pump running, WITH the hood closed. I would think (and I have tested it a little bit) that I would have engine running and hood open, and it is not so bad. either way, more of the point was to be able to have a good place to carry it out of the way, not have to put it in the rig to take up space, and have it if I need it. I mounted it up and out of the way from the headers and engne about as far as I could to accomodate this. good thing is that it has a heat trip swtich just in case.

John Smith said:
That pump will produce enough heat of its own without your hot engine compartment overheating it. I would move it out of the engine compartment. It may work fine but I bet it will trip any heat safety much quicker under the hot hood.

thats true i sould send you pics where mine is stashed, no probs yet. and i got mine for 21.00 at checker here about 3 weeks ago. i couldve pick one up for yea. :doh:

camcruiser13 said:
same compressor i got, works well. i mounted mine inside under the glove box, where the heater tube used to be. looks good man

How fast does it pump up your tires that was deflated to around 10psi?

I went to the beach last weekend and deflated to 12psi on all 4 and what a diffrence. Then it poured rain bad. It took me over 45mins to pump up. The bad thing was I had a safari summer top on and I was socked. OH yeah this pump is a battery air pump from walmart.

Last edited:
PabloCruise said:
Dude,

How is your wife going to make you cookies now???

it's all good, I am a cake man!

camcruiser13 said:
thats true i sould send you pics where mine is stashed, no probs yet. and i got mine for 21.00 at checker here about 3 weeks ago. i couldve pick one up for yea. :doh:

$21!!! damn, not here in So Cal. Can't even find them. figures! are you sure it is the same pump?

thorvald said:
good place to mount it if you dont need heat :flipoff2:

nice though

no heat needed in So Cal - unless it gets to like 60 degress or so. COOOOLD!

dang...for that price, i might try one..

nuclearlemon said:
dang...for that price, i might try one..

Yes that is good you can have one in the front and one in the rear..
looks like it can fit under the driver's seat

anyone has specs for that little thing?
the AAP site does not have specs just a pretty picture.

Hard wire

camcruiser13 said:

Did you hard wire it with a fuse?
Been looking at that model with the idea of wiring it up with adding an inline fuse.

wantatlc said:
BUT I do not really intend to run it with the engine running, pump running, WITH the hood closed.
Ummm... Yea... ;)

So have you tried it on yer tires yet? How quick is it? What's the max press? Now can't someone just add a tank somewhere and use a little pump like that to fill it up. I've seen some old stainless water fire ext used. I like that idea, but wondered if a pump like that would work for it, and what kind of tire filling ability and tool running ability you would have.

Sure looks nice and pretty in there ;) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom