Factory roof rack removal (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
guys,

I did a search on this but didn't come up w/ much. I bought some aluminium load bars from Slee and I need to get my factory roof rack off. I've seen pics of Derek Lee's Outback rack on his 100 but his is an 04. Mines a 99 and I tried to pry off the plastic/rubber boots that wrap the 6 mounting pads and correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you basically have to destroy the plastic boots to get at the bolts. I tried prying them off and they are on there good...they don't just pop off like they look like they should. Am I missing something here? Anyone else take the factory rack off thier 99? (don't know if 2000+ were diferent :confused: )

Wiggle it left and right while lifting it up and it would pop up. Its basically held in place by 2 pins parrarel to the bolts. That would only work for the front and rear mounting feet. The middle one would be accesible once you slide the main bar off slightly (to the front of the truck if I remember correctly) and lift it up. You would need "Tork" style socket to remove the bolt.

Don't pry where the rack meets the roof...that was my mistake. The cover pops off easily. I'll e-mail you a pic if you e-mail me.

scott@perfectswitch.com

Augie

I wiggled, I poked, I pryed....I am missing the boat here. It looks like that rubber boot just curls up but has no way to pop off.

Mobi-arc

sent you an email...if you got pics I'd appreciate it

I think if I figure this out I'll have to post a write-up with photo's. This roof rack removal might be more difficult than changing the T-belt! :doh:

Diesel, PM me your email address and I'll send you the TSB for removing your rack.

hoser said:
Diesel, PM me your email address and I'll send you the TSB for removing your rack.
Then put the TSB in the FAQ section

Please keep in mind, there were several variations of racks for the 100 and some used different sizes of Torx/bolts.

A. Roof rack installation

1. Roof Rack Installers need to be certain that the two Roof Rack Cross Bars are installed as shown in the illustration. If the Cross Bars are installed any other way, Wind Noise complaints are likely to result.
a. Before any vehicle is delivered with a Roof Rack already installed, it should be checked to make certain the Cross Bars are properly installed.
b. If a customer complains of a Wind Noise coming from the top of his vehicle, check to make certain the Cross Bars are properly installed.
2. If the Cross Bars are not installed as shown in the illustration, the Roof Rack must be removed, the Cross Bars re-orientated, and the Rack reinstalled. Please use the procedures in this bulletin for removal and installation.
79175892.gif

Last edited:
hoser:

sent you a PM...thx

Greenland

I'm going to keep the factory rack incase I ever decide to go back to stock

B. Removal

1. Remove the four corner Support Covers by grasping with two hands and lifting vertically. You may have to give them a tug, but the Covers will come off. Your hands need to be clean to get a good grip on the Covers. Do not use tools to try to pry the Covers off as the finish may be damaged.
2. Each of the four Corner Supports is bolted to the roof with two bolts each. These can be removed with a T30/T40 Torx bit, depending on Year/model. Remove all eight bolts.
3. Slide each Side Rail forward approximately 6 - 10 mm to release them from the Center Supports. Remove the Rack Assembly and place it upside down on a work table protected with clean shop rags.
4. Using a T15 (or other) Torx bit, remove the Screws that hold the Rear Supports to the Side Rails. After the Rear Supports are removed, the Cross Bars may be removed and turned around as shown in this sketch.
79175896.gif
79175895.gif
79175894.gif

Last edited:
hoser said:
1. Roof Rack Installers need to be certain that the two Roof Rack Cross Bars are installed as shown in the illustration. If the Cross Bars are installed any other way, Wind Noise complaints are likely to result.
a. Before any vehicle is delivered with a Roof Rack already installed, it should be checked to make certain the Cross Bars are properly installed.
b. If a customer complains of a Wind Noise coming from the top of his vehicle, check to make certain the Cross Bars are properly installed.
2. If the Cross Bars are not installed as shown in the illustration, the Roof Rack must be removed, the Cross Bars re-orientated, and the Rack reinstalled. Please use the procedures in this bulletin for removal and installation.

Are there any better instructions than that for removal...this is clear as mud :)

sorry hoser...I sent the last 2 posts as you were posting the instuctions...thx for the info, perfect

D. Precautions
1. Use 3M Ultra Pro body sealer on the ends of the eight (T30) Support Bolts and make sure the white rubber sealing sleeves are in place.
Torque (T30): 65 inch pounds (7.3 Nm)

2. Make certain the Screws holding the Rear Supports to the Rails are snug and the bottom surfaces of the Rails and Supports are flush with one another.
3. When reinstalling the Support Covers, make sure they are fully seated by giving each a light blow with a closed fist. The top surface of each Cover should be flush with the surface of each Side Rail.

Roof Rack - Wind Noise (Low Level Howl)
NVH
NV005-98
July 3, 1998

Title:
ROOF RACK WIND NOISE
Models:
'98 LX 470
Introduction

Field complaints of a wind noise, described as a low level "howl" starting at approximately 25 m.p.h., have been traced to improper installation of the Cross Bars. When the Cross Bars are removed and properly reinstalled, the noise goes away.

Affected Vehicles

^ 1998 Model Year LX 470
79175889.gif

dieselbigot said:
sorry hoser...I sent the last 2 posts as you were posting the instuctions...thx for the info, perfect
Diesel, you ruined a perfectly good FAQ with your interuptions. :flipoff2:

Glad to be of help.

how do we get this posted to the FAQ? I'll bet I'm not the first guy to struggle with this...

What happens with the holes in the roof after you take off the rack? Do the original bolts go back in to fill the holes or are there covers or spacers that have to be purchased separately? I have wanted to do this since I bought the Cruiser. I want to remove the rear spoiler over the back window too.

Can someone comment on how feasible it is to remove the rack for painting?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my rack, but I have been wanting to take it off to paint it a glossy black (or even body color if cost is reasonable) rather than the regular mat black it is currently. I understand this is extremely anal, but is removal/re-install a big project for something as dumb as this??

I went home last night and dis-assembled one of the corners of the rack. I followed the directions posted above and it was a snap. It would be very easy to remove the rack to have it painted. Once you pull the covers off, there are two bolts holding each corner down. They take a t30 Torx bit to remove the bolts. Once removed, there is a gap in the black plastic strip that covers the track where the rack mounts. Two things need to happen. 1. new shorter bolts need to be put back in to fill the two holes in the roof. 2. a cover needs to go over the section of track that is cut out for the rack. On mine, about halfway down that strip there is a cover for the center section. I'm wondering if those covers can be ordered separately or not. Any of you Parts guys got any info on the covers for those tracks? I can take pics tonight if my description is not adequate.

mscott said:
Can someone comment on how feasible it is to remove the rack for painting?

I think you'll have a hard time getting paint to adhere properly and if you ever use the rack, the chances of paint flaking or chipping off will be pretty good. Plus youde have to disassemble the whole thing unless you don't mind paint over the seems (which would look pretty ghetto)...I know I sure wouldnt bother...but to each his own :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom