Wix Oil Filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
For those who use Wix, they are available at very good prices at www.fleetfilter.com

I just ordered the 51515 (they will actually be Napa Gold 1515 - same filter) and the price was $2.61 each (plus tax if you live in the Republic of Texas) and shipping of course. Shipping was about 40 cents per filter on my 24 filter order.

FWIW

I wonder if they carry the air filters and fuel filters. Wix makes pretty good stuff and if all their filters are this affordable, I would be tempted to change them even more frequently.

I'll call and ask.

Thanks for the tip !!!

R.

This is a good find the napa gold version is $5.40

Curious though.. Why does it give a different part # for the 97LC or 96+97LX450 FZJ80 (wix 51348)
Than for any other FZJ80 which is that 51515 ? Will either fit... and which is better? I've run into this same filter difference in AC Delco's brand too. But haven't found the answer
Any Ideas? It looks to me that the 51515 is larger in height and diameter, but the rubber sealing area and threads look to be the same.
-Gary

gbell210 said:
Curious though.. Why does it give a different part # for the 97LC or 96+97LX450 FZJ80 (wix 51348)
Than for any other FZJ80 which is that 51515 ? Will either fit... and which is better? I've run into this same filter difference in AC Delco's brand too. But haven't found the answer
Any Ideas? It looks to me that the 51515 is larger in height and diameter, but the rubber sealing area and threads look to be the same.
-Gary

51348 is the smaller filter, its diameter is about the same as 90915-20004, but it is about half inch shorter than 20004. It mounted okay on my junk.

Tarbe thanks for the link :) that is a good filter for the $, when I run out of 20004’s I’ll need a new filter, not sure what to make of the new Toyota filters.

gbell210 said:
-Gary

You can use either filter, choice is up to you weather you want large or small. since this is the third time you have asked this question you must be very interested in it, here is some reading material with highlights quoted.

cruiserdan said:
You have 3 choices

15600-41010, large original filter, list $12.33
90915-20004, small Japanese filter. list $9.62
90915-YZZB5, small US sourced filter, list $5.41

Most seem to prefer the 90915-20004. It's not as messy as the 15600-41010 and is a higher quality filter than the 90915-YZZB5.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=1624

Beowulf said:
Riley,
Rumor has it that the smaller OEM filters were offered to address the so called "startup rattle." My 97 either doesn't have it or I can't hear it (likely.)

The larger filter is a good quality filter and would be your best choice if you don't want to wait for a couple of cases of the '04' filters from C-Dan.

The smaller economy filter is still a good filter; just not the same high quality of the '04' filter. It's also considerably cheaper than the '04.' For me the more expensive filter is worth the extra cost but that's 'cause I haven't run a sum on column "J" of my 'Cruiser maintenance spreadsheet. :D
-B-

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=3932

cruiserdan said:
True, the 90915-20004 and 90915-YZZB5 have been replaced by the 90915-YZZD3.

That being said, there are a few 90915-20004's left if you know what rock to look under ;)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=12805

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=35966

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=44485

RavenTai said:
Other way around, the filter on the 80 being mounted horizontally will drain wile the engine is off, larger filter means more air space and longer time to get pressure up and more rattle, on most other vehicles where the filter is vertical a larger filter is better because it has more volume and filtering area with has a set of advantages.

AC Delco's come from many sources most used to come from Champion Labs and were of very good quality, CL makes a lot of oil filters, Mobil 1, K&N, Wal Mart supertech and a bunch of other private labels with slightly differing specs such as media type and area, base plate thickness etc for each brand around a basic common design, Champion labs has now converted many of their brands over to the new cheaper to manufacture "E-core" witch is a downgrade, a filter built more like a Fram. Look in the end if you see a plastic skeleton supporting the media it is an e-core, if it is a perforated metal tube it is the old style. I don’t know if current AC delco’s are e-core’s of if even CL anymore.

I was big on Champion labs/AC delco’s on my Chevy, most Chevy’s have the filter bypass valve in the block, so the filter’s for chevy’s do not have bypass valve in the filter, a unique and nice feature IMO, the valve in the block is much better made than ones in a disposable part like a filter, also with the bypass in the block you are less likely to reintroduce contaminates that the filter had previously separated out. on CL app’s with a bypass in the filter like for Toyota they use a rubber ring that deforms to allow oil to bypass, not near as nice as the overkill metal setup in the now discontinued Toyota 20004’s,

Despite Motorcrafts connection with Ford the filters are just fine,

Wix makes a good filter if you don’t have OEM.

A lot of people are happy with puralator “pure one” also.

Toyota went from the large filter to the small filter in the middle of the 80 production, either filter can be used on any 1FZ and many other land cruisers also.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=45390

NorCalDoug said:
Of the 2 filters currently available, I currently use the larger one. The one built in Japan as opposed to the one built in Thailand. The "good" small filter (part number ending in "20004") is no longer available on the open market.

RavenTai said:
Usually all other things being equal a larger filter is slightly better for a few reasons,

Larger total oil capacity, witch slows oil degradation. A larger filter usually has more square inches of filtering media. this has less resistance to the flow of oil expressed as lower differential pressure across the filter that will allow slightly more oil pressure and flow to the engine, this allows the filter bypass valve to remain closed more often, this also slows the velocity and differential pressure of oil as it passes through the media giving the media a better chance of catching small particles. Also the larger filter will hold more contaminates or hold the same amount of contaminants with less clogging of the media.

But for some reason Toyota mounted the filter horizontally instead of the more common vertical, the filter can now drain and be as little as 1/3 full of oil on startup. This adds time for oil pressure to come up, the larger the capacity of the filter the longer the time. For some people increases start up rattle. This also plays hell with reading the dip stick and the reason Toyota says to check it shortly after shutdown.

Also the depth filtering media only came in the 20004 filter witch is a small filter, this is not a factor for current purchases.

The reason for the two sizes is the early 1FZ’s came with the large filter that came on all cruiser before it. In mid 1FZ production they switched to the smaller filter. The larger filter is the Fram PH8A size (never use Fram, cross reference use only) with is very common on Ford and Mopar V8’s,

If you don’t have any 20004’s left and don’t have start up rattle problems run the larger filter. I would consider OEM, Wix, Puralator pure one, or Mobil 1 oil filters.

If you have rattle try the small filter if it helps go with it. If you change your oil when you should most of the benefits of the larger filter have no effect, the reasons that remain are slight.

Flintknapper, got a link to that 90° adapter? I not sure I like the possible restriction of a remote filter but one that is just turned 90° at the same location with well designed free flow short lines should not make much of a difference.

I still have 2 unopened cases of 20004's :grinpimp:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=51312

RavenTai said:
Gbell, in 93 the 1FZ originally came with a PF2 size filter (thus same size as UPF2) this is the large size LC filter that was used since way back, it is also a very common Ford and Chrysler V8 filter, my Nissan 280ZX also took these.

Sometime in the FZJ-80 run they switched to the smaller PF53 size , it has the same base plate dimensions and nothing else was changed so any 1FZ can take either large or small sized filters.

There are pro's and cons to the two different sizes, the main con of the larger filter is it takes longer to fill on cold start witch may increase start up rattle of the timing chain. The rest are in favor of the larger filter.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=54149

Thanks for the highlights, and I have posted a few times about it for several reasons, each being a little different. The last post about the Ultraguard PF2's I didn't see your later post, but thank you for replying.
Here are the reasons why I was so interested:
1) Currently use the PF53 (or similar style.. probably will look at wix now too) for my 89 turbo supra
2) Already have a metal filter wrench that fits the smaller style perfectly
3) Save money and time rememebering only 1 filter # :)

4) Wondered if there was a difference in 97 for the change in oil filter part number, or if a "better" oil filter was made, which would also fit previous years.
5) Need to change my oil within the next few weeks, and now I have found all the info I need to do that and keep costs down.
6) I wasn't sure what Toyota part #'s matched with auto parts stores oil filters

SO
15600-41010, large original filter, list $12.33 --> matches Delco PF2 style filters = Wix 51515

90915-20004, small Japanese filter. list $9.62 ----\/
90915-YZZB5, small US sourced filter, list $5.41 --->-->matches Delco PF53 style filters = Wix 51348

Thanks,
-Gary

Last edited:
gbell210 said:
SO
15600-41010, large original filter, list $12.33 --> matches Delco PF2 style filters

90915-20004, small Japanese filter. list $9.62 ----\/
90915-YZZB5, small US sourced filter, list $5.41 --->-->matches Delco PF53 style filters

Thanks,
-Gary

Yep, on AC Delco's site they cross 15600-41010 into the large PF2 or small PF53, Wix only converts it to their large version the 51515
AC Delco 90915-20004 and 90915-YZZB5 into small PF53, Wix into their small 51348

So if you want to use any of the small filters to match your Supra go right ahead. If you have start up rattle it may improve with the smaller filter, if your engine is clean and you change your oil regularly most of the advantages of the larger filter are nulled.

Are the Acdelco’s you are buying now the new E-cores or the old style Champion labs? Or made by somebody else?

At one time I had a mercury grand marquis ( it was free), 280ZX and a dodge camper in the driveway, all took the same filter (same one as the large Toyota filter) , it was handy to stock one filter.

I have 1 PF-53 left that I got about 5 months ago, I'll check it out tommorrow and let you know if it has a metal perforated core or not. If it does looks like I will be going to Pep Boys for my filters (where I got it)

I work at NAPA, you can get the same 1515 filter for about the same price, just ask for the "Master Pack" version. Part Number 1515MP, it a gold filter without a box so it's right around $2.5-3. We sell this MP filters to commerical accounts, but are availible to retail customers.

Does anyone know who makes the newest Toyota filters? Do they come from Japan? Dan, use your alias ;) to answer if you prefer.

wd

forcedinductionz said:
I work at NAPA, you can get the same 1515 filter for about the same price, just ask for the "Master Pack" version. Part Number 1515MP, it a gold filter without a box so it's right around $2.5-3. We sell this MP filters to commerical accounts, but are availible to retail customers.

yeppers...shrinkwrapped...that's how I get 'em myself....

my local NAPA guys may smoke like chimneys behind the counter, but they treat me right :D

forcedinductionz said:

Great info for a first post

Welcome to the forum

FYI, fleetfilters also has air filters for about $6.50 and fuel filters for about $8.90. I ordered some of them too to take a look and see how they compare to the Yota OE parts.

Keep the Cruiser Faith,

R.

Just got around to checking the AC Delco PF53 I had in the garage and purchased about 5 months ago... It has a perferated metal tube down the center, looking past the screw threads. SO I take it this is the better manufactured one. The only marking on the filter itself I saw were an "AA" stamped into it.
I guess I'll be going back to Pep Boys and stocking up if they are all like that :)

Last edited:
gbell210 said:
Just got around to checking the AC Delco PF53 I had in the garage and purchased about 5 months ago... It has a perferated metal tube down the center, looking past the screw threads. SO I take it this is the better manufactured one. The only marking on the filter itself I saw were an "AA" stamped into it.
I guess I'll be going back to Pep Boys and stocking up if they are all like that :)

Yep that is a Champion Labs filter and the original good style,

The other marks of a Champion Labs filter are the one hole considerably larger than the rest and the letter stamping, each base plate style (thread and seal diameter) has a different code, hopefully the AC Delco’s will stay with the old style and not get the new "E-core".

The CL's filters made for AC Delco got most of the heavier duty parts, good thick base plate but not as think as M1, thick and plentiful media but only nitrile rubber ADBV and seal instead of silicone found on some other expensive CL filters.

Last I was looking into CL filters I was not worried about bypass valves as the app. I was looking into did not have them. I think I have heard some rumblings about the CL bypass valves but do not remember the details.

whodat said:
Does anyone know who makes the newest Toyota filters? Do they come from Japan? Dan, use your alias ;) to answer if you prefer.

wd

The 90915-YZZD3's I bought at a local dealer before I got 20004's from Dan (so about 18 months old) are still marked made by Denso as the old ones were but no longer in Japan, they are made in Thailand, externally they are still Ok looking but not of the same quality the Japanese Denso's were.

There are some American made filters also that are nothing specaial but not bad either. I would choose a good aftermarket filter over the American or Thailand made Toyota branded filter just because it would be the same quality for less money.

I think you can still get Japanese made Denso’s in one of the sizes, Give Dan a call/PM. from what I have seen all the Japanese made Toyota filters are worth the money.

I ought to cut open one of these 90915-YZZD3's and have a look inside.

Here is a comparison of the 20004 to one of the American filters (Supra)

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/index.html

Damn.. Went to get some more PF-53's at two different Pep Boys.... All 4 filters I checked are now the "E-core" ones. Looks like I'll be finding a place that sells Wix filters now or checking at Napa.
Thanks for all the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom