T-Case Rebuild done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
I finally got my transfer case rebuild done and buttoned up. I have a new H55f and am rebuilding an '87 Transfer to use with it. This is the biggest Cruiser project that I have tackled and I have some pics and some observations. Here are the links to the first sets of pictures I posted on ih8mud:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=46354

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=46636

The final phase involved shimming the output bearing race to get proper preload. Then I needed some flanges that would work with my '84 drive shafts as the bolt pattern changed in '85. Jeff Kauffamn and I traded-he has a parts cruiser with an '83 case-so we just swapped the output flanges. It works perfectly, so if anyone else is using a newer case on an older truck, the output flanges are interchangable. Now I know this to be a fact. I have a pic of the transfer with the cover and flanges in place, a close up of the output flange with a stake nut that has been staked, and the linkage for the shift mechanism. On the shift mechanism, you must have an 85 and up linkage. Other people talk about bending an earlier linkage to make it fit. Do not waste your time. The seller of the doner t-case threw the shifter in the box for me, but you can buy it new from Toyota. You can buy the nylon bushings to tighten it all back up for about $1.50 each.

Let me say again, that having CruiserDan as a resource was invaluable, getting me emergency parts by overnight mail. He also confirmed for me that the pre and post 85 output shafts were the same and the oil seals were the same, and thus the output flanges would be a direct swap. It did in fact work just like the book says it should. Thanks Dan.

The next step will be to pull the transmission and transfer case out of my 60, but that will have to wait until after Rubithon week.
TCase1.jpg
TCase2.jpg
TCase3.jpg

A few more pics. I wanted to show the new rear motor mount, again courtesy of Cruiserdan. There is a comparison pic with a quarter to show how big the idler shaft really is. It's huge, and so are the corresponding bearings. The 4/86 and up split case has this larger shaft. I don't know if it's strictly needed but bigger is better when it comes to shafts and bearings in my book. The last pic shows the transfer to transmission bolts. Cool Cruisers of Texas makes a big deal about these bolts and how they will only sell them if you buy the transmission from them. I don't get it, because they are available brand new from Toyota. If you have a post 85 case, you will have the proper bolts. If you have an 84 like mine, you need the bolts. Cruiserdan got them for me, and so I have a few left over from my donor transfer case.
TCase4.jpg
TCase6.jpg
TCase8.jpg

Cruiserdrew,

PNWGPS here - thanks for the info. you provided last week. I talked to Mudrak a number of times on the phone - he provided a lot of useful information and I might just have him do the transmission / t-case install if I don't do it myself. Who is Cruiserdan?

How hard is the t-case re-build? The biggest TLC project I have under my belt is a clutch or maybe the OME suspsension install. I'd like to do the install / re-build myself - my FJ60 is a hobby truck and I know I'm going to feel bad about having somebody else do it for me but it all makes me a little nervous.

PNWGPS

pnwfj said:
Cruiserdrew,

PNWGPS here - thanks for the info. you provided last week. I talked to Mudrak a number of times on the phone - he provided a lot of useful information and I might just have him do the transmission / t-case install if I don't do it myself. Who is Cruiserdan?

How hard is the t-case re-build? The biggest TLC project I have under my belt is a clutch or maybe the OME suspsension install. I'd like to do the install / re-build myself - my FJ60 is a hobby truck and I know I'm going to feel bad about having somebody else do it for me but it all makes me a little nervous.

PNWGPS

Mudrak is a totally great guy. If you are at all worried about doing it yourself, he is the guy. His prices are reasonable, and it will be done right. I was in his shop a week before starting and he walked me through the whole process and the pitfalls. I thought that was very generous. Watch out for the high/low shifter lever when you re-install the rear case!

Cruiserdan is the parts manager at American Toyota in New Mexico. His # is 1-800-432-6668 then hit 8 when the system answers. See also the American Toyota banner at the top of this page. Buy all the OEM parts you need from him. He drives/wheels an 80 series and knows Land Cruisers. Excellent to work with.

Difficulty wise-not as bad as I thought, but there is a lot to it. If I had all the stuff, doing a second one would be pretty straightforward. It really was nice to have a spare case and work from that. It kept my FJ60 in service the entire time so there is no rush on completing it. The Factory manual walks you through it. I've done multiple suspensions, brakes, radiators, water pumps, front axles etc, and this was definitely the most challenging for me. I put new rod bearings in the FJ40 and that was close.

I've never pulled a tranny before, so that's my next step. Then the install of the new tranny and t-case with a new Toyota clutch of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom