Thread of the Week... Tires (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LAST DAYS MORE OPINIONS PLEASE... Tires

been a while coming.

Post up your tire info, either the set your running, or better yet evaluate the last set you had, as then the posts won't be as biased with that "new toy" shine... good and bad... try to avoid bashing though

Things like

Size,

Amount of lift you have or should have had to clear them.

How long they lasted

Vehicle they were on

How they performed off and on road.

For instance

my only set of tires i've had on the 1976 fj40 were on there when i bought them

BfG AT... i'm told the old compound or something

33x12.5 on 15 inch cruiser offset

no lift.

trimmed fenders... still rub on steering rods and inside of rear guards

i've put at least 30 000 miles on it, and they weren't brand new when i bought the 40.

still some tread left.

only problems have been due to vehicle setup, such as: chunking of the tread where the sharp rear fender lip has cut them when they were stuffed into the guard. and where the exaust has contacted the inside edge, the tread blocks have rounded.

Offroad they are OK. no muddy, but better than any All terrain... in mud they performed as well as MTR's on a similar size and weight vehicle. they don't like to be spun, more a consistent throttle input.

on rock they don't seem to have the lugs to grip the rock, and can struggle climbing up onto ledges etc...

not the be all and end all of tires offroad, but better than i expected for an all terrain.

onroad in the dry they are fine, in the wet they like to slide in the wet under brakes. i also found they aquaplain pretty badly. i believe that bfgoodrich style muddies are better in the wet (what i had on my 45).

i'm not impressed with them onroad, though their quieter than muddies, offroad they are impressive for what they are, and wear has been better than expected.

so lets hear about them (don't worry if you have swamper envy, post up about your highway terrains to inform other readers).

OK Super swamper radials.

33x10.5 on some kind of chevy rims.

They dig like a badger, and will only pack up in thick clay.

2" over stock shackles (needs more!) Rubs on the roll bar support.

Some chunking from clay covered rocks. Very low miles-its a trail princess!!

Not a very soft tire-needs to have a lot of air let out to see a bulge.

Cooper All-Terrain 30 x 9.5
Best damn tires I've bought. Road ride is nice, and it has the grip for when I want to go out and play. I have climbed hills with them that I couldn't climb before with my old tires (don't remember brand, 32 x 11.5 used for dunes that PO had on - very bad, weatherchecked...), and they do well in sand, mud, and over unpaved ground. They have good cleanout and good tread, and through water they do great. They like an even application of power, but when I dump the clutch these bad boys grab the road and go, it's almost impossible to peel out (well, as much as a stock cruiser can!). The same tires but different size are on my dad's truck, and he likes them just the same as I do. I feel outspoken, though, as it seems everybody wants bigger tires than they origionally had, and always want them for mud or rocks. These are great for all around use, and are great for torque and power due to their smaller size (still larger than stock). That's my $.02

Have yet to finish off a set of tsl's on my 40, but
74 fj40 2.5" lift Old Man Emu Springs, SOA. 14" travel Pro comp shocks
barely tuch rear fenders at full stuff with cut flares, fronts have an inch or so to go. I may lower a little and add bump stops
38.5x16.5x15 Tsls
Smaller than I thought they would be
Good traction soft rubber, nice and wide
not so round, and take a while to warm up
Over all I think I would go with the 39.5 irocs next time

On my Mini I Have run Procomp MT's, Yokahoma Geolander MT's, Cooper STT's, and Procomp X-Terrains. All 35 12.5 15's

Xterains, best over all cleaned better in mud and had more sidewall tread for snow travel. All had sidewall breakdown due to too many miles at low pressure.
Geolanders were more like a true 33" about 1" shorter than the rest. Other than that I would say that they were all comparable in performance and road noise

While we are on the subject, quick tire question, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a thinner tire vs wider tires. Say 33x12.5 vs 33 x10.5 etc?

I have BFG Radial Mud Terrains 31x10.5 on my nearly stock 40.

I dont know what "radial" means except i know they dont have as much side tread as the non-radials.

I have actually been very impressed with their performance on the road. They really are not too loud and seem to grip pretty well. They arent bad in rain either and do well in hydro plane situations.

Offroad i often wish i had deeper tread.

33x12.5 BFG MT's on 10" Rock Crawler rims, 4" inch lift. Love them, probably about 20k miles on them so far and still lots of life yet. Love em off road, they are fine on road. Road vibration has never bother me though, I like to hear my tires "sing".

31x10.5 BGF MT's, no lift on stock Taco rims. Kick azz off road, pretty good on road too once siped. On road in very light snow and/or icy conditions they are easy to spin. Although thats probably partly due to the fact they are on a 6-cylinder pick up. In deep snow on road they are great, and off course off road they are great too.

An interesting thing about BFG's I noticed a few runs ago. It took only a couple of weights to balance them, and as I compared that to some other rigs with 33's I noticed that many of them had dozens of weights on them. I forget the brands, this was last year. So while its not critical it does imply a slightly better manufacturing process at BFG as thier tires seem to be better balanced than some others.

32x15.5x15 swamper radial, not the SSR

'70 FJ-40 stock height with rear fenders trimmed.

They worked great and was very happy with them. When I put the locker in the back, there wasn't many places I could go on normal trails. I ran them for four years and they were only down by less than 50%, but it didn't see too much road the last couple years. I drove them from oregon to ottawa, Canada. They were loud during the trip and only lost tracktion when I was on black ice :D If not for the size I would still be running them. I just sold them for $150 so made some of my 36" SX price.

36x12.50x15 TSL/SX

'70 FJ-40 SOA with SR.

I like them very much, but are a lot noisier than the 32, but that is part of what I like about them. If I wanted a quiet vehicle I wouldn't have chose 2.25" flowmasters because there louder than the tires in town. I haven't taken them off road too much and haven't got more than a few hundred miles on them, so don't know about there performance on or off road much yet, but imagine they are as good as any swamper

Goodyear MTRs on the FJ40. 9.5x30x15. Stock size lift. So far they wear well. A little firm on the highway. Fairly quiet (I can listen to the CD player and have a nonyelling conversation with my passengers with the hard top on at 55 mph).

BFGoodrich MTs on the FJ45. 9.5x33x15. Stock lift, as far as I know. Maybe a bit noisier: can't hear them over the transfer case whine, yet, anyway. I like the ride, and the look.

Siped both sets for better control on ice, and I think it reduced the road noise a little (less lug slap) as well.

Skinny is better on snow.
DSCN3940 (Small).JPG
DSCN3943 (Small).JPG

Super Swamper Thornbirds 33x12.5x15 with 4" SU lift.

Have had them for 5 years.

The goods:
*Swamper toughness
*Great and I mean amazing side lugs in the mud and snow, they seem to work like little paddles.
*seem to be quite... for a swamper
*can be run with low trail psi without beadlocks
*they look really cool, I always get stopped to talk about my tires and snorkel.
*They really flex well. Biased ply.
*seem to wear well

The bads:
*They are tragic when cold, they really need to warm up to get round again, they develop flat spots in cold weather.
*They are loud for an "all terrain" really loud, with felt vibrations.
*sub par street manners
* take a lot of weights to balance.
* follow every dip in the road.
* they run really small, like just at 32"

All in all, I honestly bought these because they were swampers and they looked really cool. They have been decent tires, but I am looking at Goodyear MTRs and BFG MTs. I need a radial this is my daily driver.

I get pretty good stuff into the wheel wells, and a lot of rubbing out back, no cut outs yet. They run pretty well, if I wanted a street tire, I would have bought a honda.

Rezarf <><

Super Swamper LTB's ---- 34 / 9.50 / 15 on black rockcrawler rims.

4 inch Skyjacker lift with 2 inch rear shackle and 1 inch fronts

Had the tires for about 2 years now and I LOVE THEM!! Price was great (just over $100 ea) they absoultely stick in loose dirt, did amazing stuff with 'em in 2wd and 1 legger (before i did the Woody weld up---kicks ass) Will NEVER buy another tire for my rig, EVER. Tried em all over the years BFG Muds, AT's, Swamper TSL's, Duelers, and the new Cooper STT on my F350 SD.....still keep the LTBs. Super strong sidewalls, nice conformity when aired down....shall I keep spewing my biased opinion?!?!? But the BEST part about any of the tires youre gonna read about on this site is........they're rollin' under a cruiser. Aye?

Goodyear MT/Rs on my 1981 FJ40. Size: 33 x 12.50 -- mounted on stock steel rims (only 6.5" wide). Purchased new in 2001. Sticky on the rocks here in Moab (I'm at Cruise Moab right now). Have been surprisingly good on ice in the Denver winters.

31 10.5 Yokohama Geolanders

All stock fit fine, Great traction in the snow and especially on ice. Pretty good for climing and rocks but pack up instantly in mud(to be expected)I have heard there have been problems with premature wear but I have been running mine for 30+K and no problems.

36 13.5 Interco Irok(radial)

SOA with about 1"shackle lift. 1.5"spacers. Pretty quiet on road, ripping off. Dig like a bugger. Really like the tread pattern and the design. I have high hopes for these in the snow and ice.

36x12.50r15 Super Swamper TSL. Love'em. I've had this set on now for about 6 years and they are looking worn now.

If you care about noise you shouldn't buy them. Oh and flat spots too.

The lugs are cut and siped and have worked great in all conditions from ice to Moab.

33x10.5xr15 Simex Jungle Trekker 2's on 15x8 rims for play
no_top_jt2s.jpg

Had the JT2's since Sept 04 and they are wearing well.. altho there are a few solid chunks missing on the outer lugs .. dont think they like rocks too much =\

to say they are loud onroad is an understatement! low flying aircraft is more like it...

rear guards were trimmed a bit to make em fit under flex but they still rub a tiny bit, also lift is an old 2" lift susp, SUA but she does alright.. need to get some 55series springs and 75series shocks under the rear to flex it out more.

the ole 3B does alright with the 33"s but a turbo definately wouldn't go astray..

and
235/85/r16 Cooper A/T's on 16x5.5 split rims for other times..
hard_n_skinny.jpg

REZARF said:
Super Swamper Thornbirds 33x12.5x15 with 4" SU lift.

Have had them for 5 years.

The goods:
*Swamper toughness
*Great and I mean amazing side lugs in the mud and snow, they seem to work like little paddles.
*seem to be quite... for a swamper
*can be run with low trail psi without beadlocks
*they look really cool, I always get stopped to talk about my tires and snorkel.
*They really flex well. Biased ply.
*seem to wear well

The bads:
*They are tragic when cold, they really need to warm up to get round again, they develop flat spots in cold weather.
*They are loud for an "all terrain" really loud, with felt vibrations.
*sub par street manners
* take a lot of weights to balance.
* follow every dip in the road.
* they run really small, like just at 32"

All in all, I honestly bought these because they were swampers and they looked really cool. They have been decent tires, but I am looking at Goodyear MTRs and BFG MTs. I need a radial this is my daily driver.

I get pretty good stuff into the wheel wells, and a lot of rubbing out back, no cut outs yet. They run pretty well, if I wanted a street tire, I would have bought a honda.

Rezarf <><

I bought my first set of Thornbirds because they "looked cool". I tell you what though, you're spot on with the Good and Bad. IMOP the good outweighs the bad by far.

My second set of Thornbirds 33x12.50.....didn't need much weight to balance. Seriously. 2.5 ounces up front.

I'm running on Steve's old set up, the MTR's on rockcrawlers....and they're nice. Good off road, just as loud as the Thornbirds on the street. They look tough and wear well.

Had a set of 33X13.50X15 Swamper LTB's and they're the only tire I'd give my all out DO NOT BUY stamp. They sucked to balance and were absolutely uncontrollable on the street. s***, s***, s*** I tell you. A skinnier LTB would probably be better.

And that is all.

Mud King XT

Mud King XT Radials
33X12.50X15R LT
8x15 American Racing White Spokes

Spring under axle
Shackle reversal
Saginaw Power Steering
Doetch Tech Shocks
Rear:4" lift Skyjacker Softride Springs
Stock 4.10 3rd with a Lockrite
Targetmaster 350

I used to be a diehard BFG MT fan, until I needed 4 tires right now, so I can leave for the Easter Heep Safari in Moab.
My tire guy called all over St. George and couldn't round up 4. He could get 4 Mud Kings which where supposed to come out of the BFG MT plant under a private label. They were less $$ and available now. SOLD!

I'm now driving on my 3rd set. I can't tell you actual mileage because I don't keep track. My truck is a dailey driver and I have a 20miX65mph sprint each way when I go to town.

If I'm sure I'm staying on the pavement I air up to 36lbs. Most of the time I run 25. The tires handle 65mph+ with 25lbs. just fine. When doing serious 4 wheeling I run 17lbs.
I spend a lot of time driving gravel roads liketysplit @25lbs. getting to the good places to wheel. When we get there it's usually rocky we air down to 17lbs. Lots of jagged lava in our neighborhood. The big washes have rounded river rock with lava, and sandstone ledges and waterfalls. Sometimes we actually find some dirt. More often, sand. Dry wash sand,fluffy or compacted. Or 5-spoke red sand. Sand so fine and deep that Pioneer's wagon wheels sunk deep enough to cover 5 spokes.
I can do 55 in straight line, and corner at the speed limit on 2 lanes with 17lbs., on my way to the nearest air compressor. With my mods I never have to fear the center-line

Since I have a locker I can't give a real testament to their snow capability. In mud they are awesome as long as there is no side-hill. Alas, the locker again. Oh for an ARB in the rear too. Got one on the bench for the front.

These tires have performed great for me. I have no idea how a DOT tire could do better job. Everybody I've met who claims to drive on better tires, drives a car, or a much bigger truck.
I'm probably switching to 35's soon and I'm thinking Mud King again!

Last edited:
I run 265/75/16 BFG AT's They work out to 32x10.50

Stock springs (sagged), uncut body. Stock backspacing.

The AT's suck in mud, but do everything else fine for the desert cruising I like to do with moderate rocks. They are easy to balance and ride smooth on the road. T

I have Bridgestone Desert Deulers (693's) on my 4Runner, and they are cheaper, but that's it.

Had BFG Muds 35x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims 3.5" BS from 4wheelparts
SUA, 4" spring lift, trimmed fenders. Worked great, sidewalls a bit thin (punctured one). Ran Rubicon 4 times. lowest pressure attempted was 13 lbs

Now have TSL Radials 36X14.50X15 on 15x10 rims, 3.5 BS from 4wheelparts
SOA, OME 2 1/2 lift.

Would rather have 2" BS. Tires perform well, can be deflated to 7 lbs

Well, nothing spectacular. No lift on my FJ62.

Multi-Mile Wild Country TXR 31 x 10.50 on some aluminum rims of some sort.

Off-Road - great in dirt/snow/sand and ok in the mud
Highway - 50k mile warranty and not loud
Durable - very. I parked at our campsite a year ago and somehow jammed a bolt into the sidewall. It didn't damage it, but it sure looked bad

The only other tires I've had that I really liked were the Marshall PowerGuard MT. Very loud and very good off-road. I had some 31 x 11.50's on my mini truck with a 3" lift. They are no longer made. :(

I have run a 33x10.5 as well as a 33x12.5 both sawmper radials and liked them. I now run the 35x12.5 Goodyear MTR's and love them. They are great on the road and aired down to 12psi do great on the rocks! A buddy just bought a set of Mud Dawgs (made by Summit) and they look a lot like the MTR. Great price too! Check em out.

Later,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom