DRL Question on LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my '99 LC in January (only 50k miles - :) ). Is there any way to turn my DRL's off (besides turning the main headlights on)??? The only time that the DRL's won't come on when my car is running is when i have it in park with the parking brake set and i am turning the vehicle on. the DRL's will then come on when the parking brake is released. If i set the parking brake again after it staying on, the DRL's will not turn back off until the car is off. This is very annoying if i am not wanting "to be noticed" like in a parking lot but want to have my car on. is it like this on all landcruisers, or am i having a electrical problem?

I have the same question so thanks for asking it! If our Cruisers are the same as other vehicles I have owned/own the dealer has to program this change...

Hve we tried the FSM for programming instructions?

I've never really tried this on the LX, but I know on some vehicles that if you lift the emergency brake handle just a click (enough to activate some switch, but not enough to activate the emergency/parking brake itself) the lights go off.

I ran into this website awhile back. It's the Association of Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights... you guys should join. :flipoff2:
Here's your answer:
http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html#Toyota

I might as well post the text in case the URL dies:

1999 LEXUS. I did reliably disable the DRL, by uncovering the DRL relay box, under left front kick panel/glove box. Using the wiring manual, identifying the pin/lead to the parking brake switch, cutting the wire and then grounding that pin.

Simply clicking the parking brake 1 notch, will also work, but activates the dash warning light for the brake.

1999 LEXUS. 30A fuses under hood right rear. Unfortunately this disables the high beams altogether.

TOYOTA. From the Toyota technical service bulletin EL011-00 Web site for specific models determine where the module is; either the DRL relay or the body ECU, connector number, pin #. Oct 6,2000.

Land Cruiser 99/00 DRL relay D8 pin 2

-disconnect battery- Then remove the wire with pin attached and tape to the harness. (consider just cut and tape the wire) -check operation- [except the 2000 MY-Avalon, additionally you need to ground the wire at the module end of the cut wire] does anyone know if there is a DRL relay that can be "fixed" ?

Last edited:
Good information.

But why all the fuss re: the driving lights? The theory is quite sound involving seeing light prior to objects/your vehicle. I know that as a motorcycle driver, I rely HEAVILY on my lights during the day for safety and procative driving.

I agree, I leave my DRL's on my SUV and sedan for safety since I want to be seen. But in a sportscar, I'd rather not attract attention from the state trooper. Not that I drive reckless... spirited maybe. Those Corvettes with the amber DRL's can be spotted a mile away.

I think you guys kinda took what I'm asking too far. Yes, I want to have use of my DRL's, especially when driving. I understand the safety of it. I just wish I could turn them off occasionally! My father's 2004 Tundra's DRL's turn off anytime he puts his parking brake on. I think the same goes for my mother's 2005 4Runner, but I'm not quite sure. Basically I was wanting to know if my LC was SUPPOSED to do the same, but obviously not. So now I again inquire if there is a way to do that without going thru the battery and disabling them ??? thanks

Yea...it would be nice to be manually in control of the DRLs. My main interest stems from coming out of a hunting spot, etc., at say dusk and wanting to be a little more discreet than broadcasting to everyone where I am via the DRLs. Choices are a good thing eh?

Has anyone figured out where/what the DRL relay looks like? I want to find the connector D8 and pin 2. Anyone with a FSM?

You can try PM'ing pequiod since he's done the mod already...

pequiod said:
take a look at http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html. Details 1999/2000 uzj100 daytime running lights disabling procedure from toyota TSB EL011-00. Worked for my 2000 -- I just found the relay location from the service manual, id's the correct wire based on TSB, and uhhh... cut it :-( Maybe applicable to 2004 as well? Dealer might do it right at no charge, as suggested in the old TSB. Relay connector was kind of akward access under the panel below the steering wheel to the left.

Really sadIt’s really frustrating for me reading this discussion. I have tried to enable DRL function on my ’99 TLC, and no one in Toyota services around cannot help me. So, does anybody know how to enable DRL function? Does my TLC have this feature?

Check you DTR relay.

Where is this DTR relay, and how to check them. Can you explain a bit

I’m checking on it and will post any information that I get. It looks like its behind the panel under the steering wheel.
Dean

CPJONES1231, Can you E-mail them to me also? The link is on my profile.

drl

DMX84 said:
I’m checking on it and will post any information that I get. It looks like its behind the panel under the steering wheel.
Dean

CPJONES1231, Can you E-mail them to me also? The link is on my profile.

I emailed the file to you at your yahoo account. It wouldnt let me attatch it thru the forum.

Casey

One thing, most insurance companies will not give you the discount for DRLs if they are user-selectable. Of course, you could just lie to them... ;)

Pictures of DRL relay, connector, and wire to remove to disable DRL

lay down on and put your head on the brake pedal and look up underneath the steering wheel column, just to its right. in the mess of wires and to the right of the brake pedal metal assembly (looking up at it) is a black box mounted with a connector on its base. you'll be staring at it. reach up and disconnect the squeeze connector and locate a solid red wire with blue stripe. disable or remove this wire and your DRLs are off. On my pictures it is the only disconnected wire on the connector. if u keep your light switch on Auto, lights will still come on automatically when the detector on your dash senses darkness, etc. hope this helps.
IMG_0530.jpg
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0542.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom