I am thinking of painting my 40 before Rubithon :D (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a trick to removing hard-side glass?

Would like to re-use window rubber, if possible...thanks,

manny

I know Eastwood sells window trim tools, they send me a dang catalog & email me once a week to remind me. Unless you're doing a resto or need to replace the window or rubber or have rust developing around the sills why remove it in the first place? If you're gonna be bashing it on the trail, just tape over & paint it.

There is not nothing to it...Mr Manny. Of course, I already had taken my top apart when I decided to remove the side glass. It is true there are tools to help you lift and pry the molding around the window. If your windows were installed correctly there should be sealed with some sort of goo. break the "seal" by starting at the corner. So from the inside, start at the corner and pry the window rubber and the same time push the window outward.....It should start coming out of the frame. This may be a two man job since you are actually pushing the window out from the inside. It's pretty once you figure it out and you will not damage the window or the window gasket. Good Luck.

Last edited:
You can also leave the glass seal in place and gently lift it, place a small piece of rope under it to hold it up away from the paint, then mask the rubber. When the paint dries, remove the rope and the rubber will lie down on the new paint.

GL

Ed

Paint before Rubithon???? Manny, what are you thinking? Which part of the great gatekeeper caper did you miss last year? How about that power steering instead?

Paint is overrated :rolleyes:

haystax said:
Paint is overrated :rolleyes:
when your 2blks from the beach, paint is your cruisers ocean-spray SHIELD :D

Thanks for the rope tip Ed...

manny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom