Which brake line Flaring kit to get..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yoda-g3

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a '70- 40 and need to put a proportioning valve in, I figured for $20 I might as well get a flaring kit for future projects. The parts place by my house only has kits for American diameter tubing, will this work on my stock lines, or do I need to get some sort of fancy metric kit? I'd measure the tubing myself but I don't have any way of doing it accurately enough...

Thanks!

Standard RIDGID Flaring Tool works great for me :D

they run about $40+

manny

I have worn out the cheapo's very quickly, and the Ridgid ones work well for a while(50 or so flares), but wear out where the cone point is, as well as the "teeth" that clamp the tube. I finally ponied up the set for a mastercool hydraulic one and would never look back. Make sure to get one that can double flare. Also cut the tubing with a cutting disc and square off with a file or whatever. the tubing cutters work harden the metal that you need to flare and the flares are noticably less successful

ditto, but which one works the best?????

I have purchased more POS flaring tools then i care to count. Looking to go to a completely new style flaring tool.

I personally would like to do just about anything else (except body work) then play with POS flaring tools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking for good, easy to use, and somewhere under the $500+ mark that the large super sweet set i got to use one time, costs.

I could never get my POS flaring tool from Napa to hold the tubing. I used these Swagelok SST fitting. The S-300-2 has a 3/16" compression fitting on one end and the correct pipe threads for the proprtioning valve. The S-300-6 joins two brakelines. Something like $4 each.

Where did you find those swagelocks - my parts guy just made a stupid face when I asked about them. I saw them in Downey for $$$ - there has to be a common auto parts source.

Thanks - I can't believe I have lived without all the stuff on that site - great link, who'd have thought it could possibly be that easy :D

another GREAT place to check things out with fittings, is find a rep that sells parker fittings.....almost ANY fitting you can think of

haystax said:
Where did you find those swagelocks - my parts guy just made a stupid face when I asked about them. I saw them in Downey for $$$ - there has to be a common auto parts source.
I saw these in the Downey catalog...recognized them as Swagelok and found my closest store. I took the Downey catalog in with a piece of double-flared metric brake lines and showed it to the dude. $10 later and problem. Very easy to install.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom