Pulling check engine light codes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

N

nyk438

I talked to the guys at my shop and they said that you can pull the code off of the computer in the car, no need to hook it up to a computer or use a scanning tool where most places charge me $80 to do taht. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on how I should go about doing this. I'm pretty sure it's my O2 sensors since neither have been replaced from me or my father's(PO) knowledge since the truck was bought in 91'.

1991 FJ80

Yes, you can.

I'm not sure how, but if you use the search function you can find more info. I think you just jumper some wires and count the flashes of the check engine light, but I am not sure.

I have a '96 which has OBD-II and needs a computer to read it. Works like a charm though.

Charlie

Yeah, on non-OBD-II vehicles (94 and older) you can jump T1 and TE1 at the datalink connector and count the blinks.

Or, if this scares ya, Autozone will read them with a scanner for free.

If you don't have a FSM (if not, you should get one), post the code up here and someone will tell you what it is.

Last edited:
shocker said:
Yeah, on non-OBD-II vehicles (94 and newer) you can jump T1 and TE1 at the datalink connector and count the blinks.

Ing. Switch on w/o the motor running. + the above. You need the FSM to transfer the blink code to what the detected issue is. Sounds kind of bulky to do but it is easy and once you learn how to do it you can pull your own codes any time w/o special equipment. (Trail, parking lot etc.)

Mark

Autozone, said they couldn't do it. I have no idea where to actually get the code from...

shocker said:
Yeah, on non-OBD-II vehicles (94 and newer) you can jump T1 and TE1 at the datalink connector and count the blinks.

Or, if this scares ya, Autozone will read them with a scanner for free.

If you don't have a FSM (if not, you should get one), post the code up here and someone will tell you what it is.

You need an FSM. The basics to pull the codes are explained here in SHOCKER's post. There is a DataLink Connector against the firewall in the engine compartment on the passengers side. Use a paper clip to short T1 and TE1 with the car off. Then turn the key to the ON position. The CEL light will flash, pause, then flash some more, followed by a long pause. Just count the flashes. The first set of flashes is the first number in the code followed by a short pause. The second set is the second number followed by a LONG pause. THAT'S THE CODE.
The process will then continue and you'll either get the same code, or a different one. Small pauses separate digits in a code, LONG PAUSES separate multiple code numbers.

BUY AN FSM :D

Hey Safado - Thanks for posting those instructions, I have a CEL on my 97 '80 that I need to resolve. Question though - when looking at the legend on my Diagnostic Box, I don't have a T1. Here's what I have:

Any ideas? Thanks for your help

Last edited:
bderks said:
Hey Safado - Thanks for posting those instructions, I have a CEL on my 97 '80 that I need to resolve. Question though - when looking at the legend on my Diagnostic Box, I don't have a T1. Here's what I have:

Any ideas? Thanks for your help

As it says above, these instructions are for OBD I vehicles only (94 or older).

You will have to use an OBD II reader to check your codes.

Most Auto Zones or Advance Auto Parts or.... ? have a scanner and will pull your codes for free.

I have a 94, and it does not have a T1

I was checking in and I has coincidentally just about to pull codes myself and I do not have a T1 pin in my diagnostic panel! What's up? Is it possible that it was replaced with another (maybe wreck before I got it?) or is there another pin that serves the same function? :confused:

Thanks Shocker - just a friendly FYI, it actually says 94 and newer in your post above, that's what confused me. Looks like I'll be heading down to Autozone later.

Cheers,
Brandon

bderks said:
Thanks Shocker - just a friendly FYI, it actually says 94 and newer in your post above, that's what confused me. Looks like I'll be heading down to Autozone later.

Cheers,
Brandon

Oh, s***. Guess it does. Hmmm, I'll edit it so no one else has the same problem. Sorry bout that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom